walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na Teanga

Meall na Teanga

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga

Date walked: 03/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1258m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After our backpacking trip in Glen Affric (report coming shortly) we had intended to pop round and do the Strathfarrar Munros the next day. Common sense prevailed and we decided to leave them for another trip and headed down to the tourist hell that is Fort Augustus on a sunny day in July. Compensation was to be had in the form of flush toilets (20p! – that’s 4 shillings in old money, it used to be only 1d for a pee!) and mint chocolate chip ice creams before we went on to park at the Eas Chia-aig waterfalls. We had done Sron a’Choire Ghairbh under winter conditions last February but due to me being knackered (no stamina these old people!) we had decided to leave Meall na Teanga for another day.

We walked up through the forest and emerged into open country. Climbing over the stile we found a place to put the tent up right by the river.
IMG_2913.JPG
Camp site
Not too many midges surprisingly. We set off at about 8am the next day (the midges had got the message out that we were there by this time!) and walked along to the bridge over the Abhainn Chia-aig.
IMG_2892.JPG
Gleann Cia-aig
From there on the path was rather vague and somewhat boggy as we made for the ruin at Fedden.
IMG_2894.JPG
Fedden
The river crossing looked fairly straight forward but I was surprised as Katie, who usually makes a bit of a meal of these things, pushed past to cross first. “I wasn’t going to cross there” I ventured seconds before there was a splosh as she slid off a stepping stone! “Very refreshing” she declared, putting a positive spin on it.
IMG_2895.JPG
Wringing out the socks

Then off we went across the bog to the foot of the southwest ridge of Sron a’Choire Ghairbh. This looked incredibly steep – no wonder I was a bit tired after going up there! We carried on towards Cam Bealach debating (arguing???) over the best route to take. We gained the bealach between Meall Dubh and Meall na Teanga before we came to blows over it (she gets all grumpy if I don’t agree with her!) and had a bit of a sit down.
IMG_2897.JPG
At the bealach
A clear path leads from there up to the cairn at the summit of Meall na Teanga
IMG_2899.JPG
Summit
and we were rewarded with amazing views of the Ben, Fort William (it looks such a nice place form that distance!), the Grey Corries etc etc.
IMG_2902.JPG
View from the top

The walk along to Meall Coire Lochain was splendid
IMG_2903.JPG
Meall Coire Lochain
and then it was easy walking round to Meall Odhar
IMG_2906.JPG
Meall Odhar
IMG_2907.JPG
Ben Nevis again
from which we descended to the tent through an amazing display of wild flowers.
IMG_2909.JPG
Lunch was followed by the walk out, most of which is downhill. Then disaster struck - they had sold out of ice creams in the Spar in Spean Bridge!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Meall na Teanga

Postby retrogear » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:From there on the path was rather vague and somewhat boggy as we made for the ruin at Fedden.

So, how boggy is "somewhat boggy"? - The bog reports of that route put me off, so I decided to do the hill from Clunes. The Leac Chorrach approach was horrible. Did you find Gleann Cia-aig ok?
retrogear

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:10 pm

It wasn't too bad really but then it hasn't rained much for a while. I've been through a lot worse!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby monty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Thats an interesting route and one which I had not considered. Good walk and some nice photos. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland