walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean & friends

Glas Tulaichean & friends

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:29 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 03/07/2011

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekends excursion was planned for Glas Tulaichean and at least one of his palls - Carn an Righ. With the weather forecast this had the makings of a good day out and if the strength was there I was also hoping to go off piste a little and sneak in Beinn Iutharn Mhor as well :D

As preparation for my day I had spent Saturday on the paddle steamer Waverley cruising up the Clyde to Dunoon, which apparently required me to drink copious amounts of alcohol :D :lol: Well, not wanting to appear rude.....I did as instructed and joined in :lol: :lol:

So, it was a bit of a sore head and leaden legged me that was woken up by his alarm at 4.30 on Sunday morning :shock: The temptation was to turn over and forget about the walking, but the opportunity to get out in the fresh air was too much and so it was I was heading on my way at 5.30, via a supermarket, for Glen Shee for the day.

Parked just away from the entrance to Dalmunzie hotel and set off walking at about 8.45. Already the signs were, it was going to be a scorcher 8)

Met a little pal on the way out for an early sunbathe.
dscf0004.jpg
The first of many amphibians on the day

The walk to the hotel was a good warm up. It was lovely and peaceful. The perfect start to the day and I was soon at the hotel.
dscf0006.jpg
Heading toward the hotel

It was a good walk up into Glen Lochsie, up to the ruined lodge and onto Breac-reidh. At the first ford I made my way up onto the the line of the dis-used railway. Rather than zig-zag up as suggested, I just went straight up the side of the hill. Not a great deal of effort, but enough to make me realise just how stifling it was. No air at all, which was pretty much how it stayed for the rest of the day. And me all dehidrated from drinking the day before :shock: :lol:
dscf0016.jpg
Up Glen Lochsie from dis-used railway line

Met a chap ahead of me while walking along the dis-used railway and eventually, after a bit of leap frog along the path, we walked together to the summit of Glas Tulaichean and on to Carn an Righ. Turns out he was a user of WH too, but unfortunately we didn't exchange names. Did the usual hill walking thing of talking hills all the way 8) If you are that man, it was a pleasure to have your company on this route. Hope the wife wasn't too cross that you sneaked in Carn an Righ to your day.

Eventually arrived at the ruin of Glenlochsie lodge. Ok, it's a ruin, but what a fantastic setting 8)
dscf0025.jpg
Ruined lodge

The burn coming down at this point was something else too :D
dscf0033.jpg
Allt clais bheag

After the joy of the dis-used railway line it was back to the landrover track :shock: It was a bit of a shocker to start with. Fairly steep and just not much fun really :thumbdown: Nice views opening up behind :D
dscf0036.jpg
Back down glen lochsie

But look at the route up :shock: Even the beers the day before couldn't make this look appealing
dscf0042.jpg
The road ahead

Height was soon gained though, before a more gentle stroll to almost the summit :D
dscf0045.jpg
Another look back

dscf0052.jpg
Toward the GT summit

Got a nice view open up of the Beinn a'Glo group too 8)
dscf0056.jpg
Beinn a'Glo

And then we were on the first summit of the day. Views from the summit were a bit limited I though, given it was a big, dome of a summit.
dscf0060.jpg
GT summit with Beinn a'Glo behind

Coming down off the summit gave a good view of the next target of the day - Carn an Righ
dscf0071.jpg
Toward Carn an Righ

We dropped down off the side of the hill and took a bit of a shortcut up to the obvious path which you can see cut into the land. Don't think the frogs we disturbed were too happy. Man, there were hunners :lol:
dscf0075.jpg
Path

Reaching the saddle between Carn an Righ and Mam nan Carn and the good,if eroded, path up CaR continued. Could also see the possible path contouring round Mam nan Carn to Beinn Iutharn Mhor should I still have the energy.
dscf0078.jpg
Possible route to Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Things weren't looking too good though. By now the effects of the alcohol the day before was kicking in :lol: I was flagging quite bad and arriving at the summit was something of a relief :shock:
dscf0083.jpg
Carn an Righ summit with Beinn a'Glo behind

Unlike GT the views from CaR were much more extensive. Had a good view of Beinn a Glo as well as toward the Lairig Ghru :D 8)
dscf0090.jpg
Beinn a'Glo from CaR

dscf0100.jpg
Toward the Lairig Ghru from CaR

It was time for a bit of a rest on this summit, gather my strength and see if I had it in me to attempt Beinn Iutharn Mhor :crazy:

To the summit of CaR had been about 4 hours from the start, so despite the slightly sore knees and feeling a bit groggy from the day before I knew I wanted to add a third hill for day. So off to Iutharn Mhor I went. A nice easy trip down CaR to the saddle with Mam na Carn. All was well so far. Then a short climb up the path on Cam nan Carn to contour left around the hill and on to the saddle with Iutharn Mhor. Immediately my knees suggested this trip as foolish, but it actually wasn't long till I was on the level path and contouring round easily.
dscf0107.jpg
Path to Iutharn Mhor

Sadly, the path eventually petered out and it was a case of making my own way onto the saddle. This turned out to be a bit painful for my feet and I soon had sore soles to add to the sore knees :shock:

Once on the saddle with the munro the final push onto the summit is actually quite easy. As I arrived I met a couple of women who asked me perhaps the strangest question I have ever had on a hill before (and apologies if either lady is reading this). It went something like "I know this is a stupid question, but what hill are we on?" Apparently we were on the wrong one :lol: :lol:

After they left to make there way back down Glen Ey I had the summit to myself and spent a good while just sitting there taking in the piece and quite. Miles from anywhere? Miles from everywhere :D
dscf0119.jpg
Beinn Iutharn Mhor and Beinn a'Glo behind

dscf0130.jpg
Toward the Lairig Ghru

dscf0132.jpg
An Socach

An Socach.......! Now there's a thought ......!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thought never entered my head :shock:

I was pleased enough hitting Beinn Iutharn Mhor on this trip. Although I'd been drinking plenty I was definitely dehydrated and had a long walk back to the car to look foward to :thumbdown:

Coming down off the hill was easy, with the plan being to contour round between Cam nan Carn and Beinn Iutharn Bheag. All easy stuff, even though my legs were really feeling by now. Spooked some deer in the process.
dscf0137.jpg
Deer

Catching sight on Loch nan Eun took my breath away. What a stunning little loch set up in its remote high position. Absolutely fantastic 8) :D
dscf0145.jpg
Loch nan Eun

I would have stayed here longer, but my trip back beckoned me :shock: The initial path down Gleann Taitneach is a propoer hill path. A bit steep and eroded in paces, but what a hill path should be. Ordinarily I would have loved it, but it killed my knees :shock: :shock: By now they were very cross with me and so it was slow progress initially to get me down on to more level ground. There were nice falls where the water made its way down the gleann.
dscf0164.jpg
Water in Gleann Taitneach

Eventually I made it onto the landrover track, but it was still a way to go yet. In the end it became a case of head down and just get it done. When I heard the motor bike in the distance I was thinking it was almost done, and as I made my way over a slight rise I spied the bridge at Glenshee ....... it was miles away :evil: Well it seemed it to me.

Just time for one last adventure.

Close to the end of the track I spied a field of cows - all congregating around the landrover track I was walking along. Now, I don't get spooked by cows. Big lumbering creatures that just stare at me. Bulls though. I don't like bulls :shock: As I approach I was looking around and it all looked safe. So I headed along the track and through the herd of cows. So far so good. Then one got spooked, which set off a chan reaction. And there he was :shock: He'd been sleeping next to his playmate.

Hugh Heffner.

And I had woken him up :shock: Suddenly my knees weren't so bad :shock: Suddenly my feet not so sore :shock: Suddenly I was shifting :shock: And very quickly I was over the gate at the other end of the track :lol: And then I was back at the roadside.
dscf0173.jpg
Final view back

By the time I was back at the car I knew I had been on a walk. It had been a good day all round. Plenty of sunshine. great views and some good company along the way. I was chuffed to have made the three hills on this walk too, so it was a happy man creaking into his car for the (long) journey home :D :D
Last edited by PeteR on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Glas Tulaichan & friends

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 am

Great report and fab photos - these hills are on my hit list and had been wondering about getting the 3rd one in too, seems such a long way to walk in from the north, so very interested to see your pics. Weather looks gorgeous altho maybe not the best after a few too many.

Cows would have spooked me let alone a bull - no wonder you found another gear to get you outta there! :lol:
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:26 am

Great report! I love these hills; i ended up bolting on An Socach which was a truly dreadful idea :(

Great hills and Gleann Teatnitch is a cracker on a nice day
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:15 pm

mountain-ju-drop wrote:Great report and fab photos - these hills are on my hit list and had been wondering about getting the 3rd one in too, seems such a long way to walk in from the north, so very interested to see your pics. Weather looks gorgeous altho maybe not the best after a few too many.

Cows would have spooked me let alone a bull - no wonder you found another gear to get you outta there! :lol:

Cheers Mountain-ju-drop. Adding in the third hill on this route makes it a long day, but certainly worth it. I think the weather just made it that much better - especially after what we've had to put up with recently :lol:

Gable Gable End wrote:Great report! I love these hills; i ended up bolting on An Socach which was a truly dreadful idea :(

Great hills and Gleann Teatnitch is a cracker on a nice day

On another day An Socach might have been on the cards for me too GGE, but from the BIM summit it looked just a little too far away :lol: And you're right about Gleann Taitneach - it's a cracker. I really love these glens, but I think it was Stretch who mentioned in his report how long this particular one went on for. He wasn't wrong there :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Glas Tulaichean & friends

Postby davetherave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:22 am

PeteR,

Once again a good report. Well done on getting the 3 in the bag. :lol:. 2 of the 3 you did was enough for us when we did this route.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Stretch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:50 am

Huge day Pete, but you had some fantastic views to keep you going. I did two of these back in the spring and it felt truly remote!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:01 am

Great walk Peter. Done these three but went in and out Glen Taintneach in fantastic sunshine. Its a long walk but I cycled in and out of the glen. Would have been a nightmare walking out :lol: Also revisited from glen ey in the snow. Nice set of hills and the loch is fantastic. :D
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 am

Great report Peter * timely also,got these tow on my radar soon & good to see whats in front of me :lol: :lol: looks a loooooong way
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 am

That's a great effort, Pete - especially after the imbibing of the day before.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 pm

well done Pete - great to get good weather on these hills with the views :thumbup: Loved Loch nan Eun when I was up there and a nice sheltered spot to camp :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Great report Pete, full of useful practical advice. :clap:

I printed this out when I did my own solo traipse of these three hills on the first day of June 2013. It was a great help to me. The long walk back from the loch is a killer, on such a warm day. I don't think my feet will forgve me for months!

A word of warning though: £4.20 for a pint of SHANDY at the Dalmunzie afterwards!!?? Outrageous!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby jhibbs » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks very much for this, Pete.

I wanted to get Beinn lutharn Mhor into my GT and CaR trip, and this helped me very much indeed! I was staying at The Cambs, just east of the Spital of Glenshee and did this walk in 8:20, 20.8 miles door to door. I was however NOT prepared for that long trek back from the Loch! Very steep in places beside the waterfalls. I stuck to the north of Shee Water as it came out at the A93 and I was looking for any reason at all to shorten my route home.

Thanks once again for your useful walk report and gpx file too!
jhibbs
Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:4
Walk wish-list

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland