walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean..one Man & his westie

Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean..one Man & his westie

Postby Jabber » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 01/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1046m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started out at about 10am in what was going to be quite a formidable Munro for me never mind my little white companion. I had been planning this one for a while now and finally took the bait and went for it. It looked like it was going to be a hot day so plenty of water was packed. The track was easy enough from the layby of the A82 just a mile or so south of Crianlarich and so off into the Glen we headed by the River Falloch. There had been some forestry felling at the turn and this was probably the hardest climb of the day for me anyway, the rough boggy grassy slope was/is very taxing (Dog took it in her stride as usual with only the slightest of panting.),
100_1250.JPG
600 to 1800 ft in no time onto the Grey heights( dare I say a Sassenach name?). Crianlarich soon became visible as did the peaks of Ben OSS and Dubchraig (another day!)
100_1253.JPG
Car park looking far away now...

The top of Grey Height I found rocky , the path itself bypasses the summit, however I didn't come all the way up to bypass summit and went over for a look see.
100_1262.JPG
100_1263.JPG
Where's the Rabbits!
The massive shape of Cruach Ardrain was now coming into view and looked very forbidding with a precipitous drop into Coire Ardrain. There were lots of drops along the ridge not too boggy too be honest, however the heat was starting to get to my blue skin & Oh boy was I suffering. It wasn't long before I was at the point where the ascent just looked mental and hey ho it was and before I knew it we were up on the summit.
100_1273.JPG
Highest/oldest Westie in the land..Top of Cruach Ardrain

I didn't come all the way up not to have a look at Beinn Tulaichean and this is where I met the first walkers of the day, one fella who had come up the same route as me and another really friendly chap who had climbed up from Ben More farm.
100_1280.JPG
Beinn Tulaichean from Cruach Ardrain

The drop to Beinn Tulaichean was quite tiring in the heat and the climb back to the cairn was even more so and kinda showed how much out of shape I am. (Dog was fine ...can't believe she's 14)
100_1287.JPG
Meg chasing the flies around on Beinn Tulaichean
100_1291.JPG
Cruach Ardrain from Beinn Tulaichean
Meg on Beinn Tulaichean.JPG
Any scran in that bag?
I decided to descend the same route as I didn't have confidence in the grassy slope down to Coire Earb and with all the recent rain the route down the River was bound to be boggy. Got back to the car about 5pm and had a very nice pint in Drovers at Inveranan before heading back towards the smoke with one tired out westie.. Overall a very enjoyable walk apart from the climb up to the grey heights on the grassy slope. Gets my thumbs up 8)
Meg Gubbed.JPG
Attachments
that car defo looks too far away.JPG
Crianlarich from top.JPG
Last edited by Jabber on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean..one Man & his westie

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Fine report there Jabber,even more impressed with "meg" great to see her still as active at 14,brill
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby davetherave » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Well done Meg. 14 and still going strong, amazing. Hope my Bearded is still that active when he reaches that age. :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby monty » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 am

Nice report Jabber. Well done the wee dog. You must have had some excellent views in the sunshine :D
monty

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Me likes the westie! Does she do all this out of her free will? What a dog!
You've got some nice pictures there Jabber. It brings back good memories (apart from the slog up Grey Height that is). Well done!
Paula Hubens

Postby spiderman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Excellent photos of your walk. Meg is a real character. She looks like a two year old in the photos. It is amazing that she could do this long taxing walk in the heat at 14 years of age and I suspect she was not trotting ater you but running about investigating eveything. Congratulations on your walk Paula, Beinn Tulaichean and back from the A82 is a long way/
spiderman
Rambler

Postby Jabber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments. I kinda feel guilty about not taking her out on Monday up Ben Oss, and I think she is still smarting from it. Paula your right about that slog up the Grey heights I didn't enjoy that much however once on the ridge it became a bit more bearable.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby spiderman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Apologies Jabber I referred to you as Paula in my reply to your report and this was despite the heading ''...One man and his dog''. I really will have to stop taking a glass of ginger cordial of an evening. :D :D :D I enjoyed your report and Meg's exploits.
spiderman
Rambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland