walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe - horsed over in Glen Ogle

Meall Buidhe - horsed over in Glen Ogle

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Buidhe

Date walked: 01/07/2011

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 530m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

School had just broken up for the summer holidays :D and I was demob happy. I was en route to meet up with Kev at Tyndrum and we were heading on up to Glenfinnan to do an overnighter on the Corryhully Horseshoe route taking in the Munros of Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm with the intention of exiting over the Corbett of Streap. A sharp exit to the hills at the very start of the summer holidays has become something of a traditional fixture with me now. Used to be it was a sharp exit to the pub, but age and fatherhood have combined to make that a less appealing prospect than it once was :shock: . Kev had suggested this route a few weeks back and with a planned rendez-vous time of 15h15 at Tyndrum, I looked at the options for a quick up and and down somewhere en route, a nice little “hors d’œuvre” to the “plat principal”. 8)

I decided to do the Glen Ogle Graham of Meall Buidhe - so often driven past but never yet given a look in. I parked up next to the burger van at the car park at the top of Glen Ogle opposite the Lochan Lairig Cheile and set off onto the track which turns right out of the far end of the car park

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was soon through the gate and climbing up the good track through the trees with views soon opening up as it switchbacked up the hill, although the views were somewhat spoiled by the swarms of flies that were buzzing about my head. This turned out to be the most fly-plagued hill that I have ever experienced and on several occasions I had to resort to swinging Lucy’s lead lasso-style around my head to ward the little buggers off. Hopefully I whacked a few of the little buggers into next month as well. :lol:

IMG_7049.JPG
Early views to Glen Dochart

IMG_7052.JPG
Crags just below the mast

IMG_7055.JPG
Stob Binnein and Ben More beyond the Lochan Lairig Cheile

IMG_7058.JPG
Meall Ghaordaidh & the Tarmachan Ridge

IMG_7061.JPG
Creag Mac Ranaich across Glen Ogle

IMG_7062.JPG
Meall Ghaordaidh & the Tarmachan Ridge again

The track continues to dogleg upwards until it suddenly ends at the mast, beyond which it becomes wild heathery terrain up to the summit.

IMG_7063.JPG
Not sure that a coat of green would make it any less of an eyesore!

IMG_7065.JPG
Now pathless ahead to the summit

I opt to ascend up through the gulley which I seem to have been naturally funneled into before the final climb up onto the summit area and the short walk over to the cairn which is a magnificent perch and the best viewpoint I’ve come across yet for Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’Chroin. In fact the views are quite special through 360 degrees and with time on my side, I linger for a wee while here over a spot of lunch before heading back along the high ground to the 709m summit of Beinn Leabhainn and then back down onto the track below the mast for the return to the car and the quick scoot up to meet Kev at Tyndrum.

IMG_7066.JPG
Tarmachan Ridge and some of the Lawers lot across Loch Tay

IMG_7069.JPG
Meall na Fearna, Ben Vorlich, Stuc a' Chroin, Beinn Each and Ben Ledi

IMG_7072.JPG
From the Graham summit to a distant Ben Ledi and Benvane

IMG_7077.JPG
Vorlich and friends across the western end of Loch Earn

IMG_7078.JPG
Tarmachan Ridge and Lawers group from Meall Buidhe summit

IMG_7080.JPG
What ya doin' up there dad?

IMG_7084.JPG
Lucy & minor cairn at unmarked top between Meall Buidhe and 709m top of Beinn Leabhainn

IMG_7085.JPG
Back to Vorlich and co.

IMG_7086.JPG
Killin and Loch Tay backed by the Tarmachan Ridge and Lawers group from Beinn Leabhainn

IMG_7088.JPG
Glen Dochart from Beinn Leabhainn
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Meall Buidhe - horsed over in Glen Ogle

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Graeme as ever great report and pics a joy to look at
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Meall Buidhe - horsed over in Glen Ogle

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks Luvhiking. That's very kind of you! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland