walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking with Ben Starav and his neighbours in Glen Etive

Walking with Ben Starav and his neighbours in Glen Etive

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 27.4 km

Ascent: 2600m

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Late the previous evening after finishing Friday’s walk, I’d driven down Glen Etive almost to the start of the Loch and set up the tent for the night. Quite chilly during the night with a heavy dew on the tent in the morning.

Glen Etive – day 2 of 3 – Saturday 2 July 2011

GE_2jul_active reduced to 500.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Opened the tent flap to the view over Loch Etive and Ben Cruachan

Attachments
360 from Ben Starav summit [animated gif].gif
Last edited by rockhopper on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Walking with Ben Starav and his neighbours in Glen Etive

Postby pigeon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Superb rockhopper ,will day 3 get you to the 100 mark?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby kev_russ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Stunning pics and great report :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby monty » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Excellent report Rochopper made all the more amasing with your big walk the day before. You got great views too. Top man.
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Another big day rockhopper,looks like day 3 will get the 100,if so you have my congtatulations.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby csimbad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Nice one Rockhopper, fantastic report and pics another big day excellent stuff :thumbup:
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Jeezo, the man's out of control! Wild camping and multi-day bagging combo-trips - where's it going to end??? :lol: At this rate Rockhopper you'll be past me by this time next week! Seriously though, I've thoroughly enjoyed your recent flurry of reports and as for this one, dare I say it.......???? 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Supreme effort after your Glen Etive 3 the day before. I was ****** after the Etive 3 and in no way do i think that i would be able to do the Starav 5. I have done the starav 5 so i understand whats involved. Brilliant stuff, love it :D

Now looking forward to your 3rd days report and that magic 100 :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:02 pm

pigeon wrote:Superb rockhopper ,will day 3 get you to the 100 mark?
wow - that would mean having to cover another 3 hills on top of the 8 over the last 2 days - maybe monty or dooter could mange it but me and my legs ?...... :wink:
rockhopper

Postby davgil » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Brilliant rockhopper,

I remember them well :) your legs certainly know about it after that one!!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:51 pm

kev_russ wrote:Stunning pics and great report :)
cheers kev - was lucky with the weather
monty wrote:Excellent report Rochopper made all the more amasing with your big walk the day before. You got great views too. Top man.
thanks monty - but it does take me a fair bit longer than you 8)
gammy leg walker wrote:Another big day rockhopper,looks like day 3 will get the 100,if so you have my congtatulations.
thanks gammy - really enjoyed it
csimbad wrote:Nice one Rockhopper, fantastic report and pics another big day excellent stuff :thumbup:
thanks csimbad - hope you get your camera fixed for the next time
Graeme Dewar wrote:Jeezo, the man's out of control! Wild camping and multi-day bagging combo-trips - where's it going to end??? :lol: At this rate Rockhopper you'll be past me by this time next week! Seriously though, I've thoroughly enjoyed your recent flurry of reports and as for this one, dare I say it.......???? 8)
thanks Graeme - I'm having a rest now for a few weeks (got to get some brownie points) before Coylumbridge/Aviemore at the end of July - no doubt you'll be way ahead soon enough 8)
rockhopper

Postby steven671 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:22 pm

congrat`s on the big 100,a long way of but i`me in no hurry.i intend to do the same walk this thur or fri weather permiting,can you say if there is any watering holes etc up the tops for my dog so i dont have to carry his water :) think ben vorlich was my 2nd munro also,here`s a summit pic of vorlich
Attachments
010.JPG
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

dooterbang wrote:Supreme effort after your Glen Etive 3 the day before. I was ****** after the Etive 3 and in no way do i think that i would be able to do the Starav 5. I have done the starav 5 so i understand whats involved. Brilliant stuff, love it :D
cheers dooter - couldn't get anyhwere near your time though

davgil wrote:Brilliant rockhopper, I remember them well :) your legs certainly know about it after that one!!
thanks David - hard but very enjoyable day - enjoyed your report as well and you had some cracking photos :D

steven671 wrote:congrat`s on the big 100,a long way of but i`me in no hurry.i intend to do the same walk this thur or fri weather permiting,can you say if there is any watering holes etc up the tops for my dog so i dont have to carry his water :) think ben vorlich was my 2nd munro also,here`s a summit pic of vorlich
cheers steven - as I don't have a dog I don't tend to think too much about water unless camping - I can remember it being very dry most of the way but I'll have a look back through my other photos as well to see
rockhopper

Postby soulminer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:34 pm

A great place hit the ton, well done that man :) I compleated on Starav so it is a special place for me- the photo with the steep drop to the left was corniced when I was there 2nd Jan,looked bad enough then :wtf:
Cheers
soulminer

Postby steven671 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:21 pm

rockhopper wrote:
dooterbang wrote:Supreme effort after your Glen Etive 3 the day before. I was ****** after the Etive 3 and in no way do i think that i would be able to do the Starav 5. I have done the starav 5 so i understand whats involved. Brilliant stuff, love it :D
cheers dooter - couldn't get anyhwere near your time though

davgil wrote:Brilliant rockhopper, I remember them well :) your legs certainly know about it after that one!!
thanks David - hard but very enjoyable day - enjoyed your report as well and you had some cracking photos :D

steven671 wrote:congrat`s on the big 100,a long way of but i`me in no hurry.i intend to do the same walk this thur or fri weather permiting,can you say if there is any watering holes etc up the tops for my dog so i dont have to carry his water :) think ben vorlich was my 2nd munro also,here`s a summit pic of vorlich
cheers steven - as I don't have a dog I don't tend to think too much about water unless camping - I can remember it being very dry most of the way but I'll have a look back through my other photos as well to see

thank`s i appreciate that,think i will go up and camp wed night for an early start,supposed to be rain wed,dry thurs and fri
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland