walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh 3

Creag Meagaidh 3

Postby csimbad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19.8 km

Ascent: 1399m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After talking to someone at work who had just recently climbed these I decided to take on these 3, Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Ardair and Carn Liath. I arrived at the car park at Aberarder heading off at 8am taking the path directly up to Lochan a' Choire. The weather was perfect and the pics I thought I was getting of Coire Ardair and Lochan a' choire would have been great. I then took a sharp left just before Lochan a' choire heading for Sron a' Ghoire following the stream and then onto Puist Coire Ardair where again the views were getting better all the time then finally reaching Creag Meagaidh the view around me was excellent and the sun was shining. So after having a bite to eat and taking a few more pics I was off to Stob Poite Coire Ardair which didn,t take to long, I met with another couple of walkers at that point but other than that a pretty quite day so I was then off to Carn Liath on where I sat for 20 minutes or so just looking around and watching the rescue helicopter go by on what I had thought I had got on camera. Finally awaking from a daze I started my way down from Carn Liath, not the best of paths was trying my hardest to avoid stepping on the frogs everywhere but think I got back to the car park without any incident after 6h 40min. Anyway it was off on home to download my pics only to find nothing on my camera for some reason not a thing, totally gutted other than that it would have been a perfect day. :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Creag Meagaidh 3

Postby davetherave » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 pm

I did nearly exactly the same route as you in winter past, only difference was I headed up hill about 1km prior to the lochan.

Shame about the pics.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8451
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm

real pity about the photos csimbad :( I've got a habit of checking as I go just in case (as well as taking umpteen spare batteries and memory cards :shock: )

funny about the frogs - I'd noticed a lot recently as well - not sure why though
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:09 am

Nightmare! Any ideas what happened? I'm with Rockhopper - I carry several charged batteries and regularly check as I click. I was looking forward to seeing your pics especially as these three are in contention for me on 22nd July.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby monty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 am

During the reading of your report I was looking forward to the photos because it was all in the clag when i was up there but unfortunately you didnt have any :lol: Not to worry, sounds like you had a good day. :D
monty

Postby csimbad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks davetherave for posting your report certainly looks worth while heading back up there for in the winter months. :thumbup:
davetherave wrote:I did nearly exactly the same route as you in winter past, only difference was I headed up hill about 1km prior to the lochan.

Shame about the pics.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8451
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks Rockhopper/Graeme, I don,t know whats happened I carry spare battery's and card and like you guys I check everything as I go along and again when I get back to the car so they seem to have disappeared on the way home or something has happened when I went to download them, will just have to return again hopefully getting another good day :)
rockhopper wrote:real pity about the photos csimbad :( I've got a habit of checking as I go just in case (as well as taking umpteen spare batteries and memory cards :shock: )

funny about the frogs - I'd noticed a lot recently as well - not sure why though

Graeme Dewar wrote:Nightmare! Any ideas what happened? I'm with Rockhopper - I carry several charged batteries and regularly check as I click. I was looking forward to seeing your pics especially as these three are in contention for me on 22nd July.
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:56 am

Cheers Monty, it was after reading your report I was hoping for a good day and to get clear pics for all to view but not to be, they say things happen in three's so after a sheep decided to run into the side of the car while doing about 60mph taking my mirror off then with braking hard my tin of juice flew out my bag and hut the dash and bust every where so I reckoned I was in for a bad start to the day, at least the weather was nice :lol:
monty wrote:During the reading of your report I was looking forward to the photos because it was all in the clag when i was up there but unfortunately you didnt have any :lol: Not to worry, sounds like you had a good day. :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby trailer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:40 am

I did this route the week before but in reverse. ie went up Carn Liath first then anti-clockwise round the tops, eventually carrying on to Sron a Ghoire and carrying on off the end of the ridge back to Aberarder. Stunning views at the top if you can get a clear day. Not wanting to hijack the thread but here's a couple of shots from the day:

The summit of Carn Liath can be seen at the end of the ridge and is taken from near the Stob Poite Coire Adair summit with Loch Laggan below in the distance.

Here's "The Window" between the Creag Meagaidh and Stob Poite Coire Ardair. Remnants of snow can be seen to the left of The Window on the ascent to Creag Meagaidh.
trailer
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks trailer, thats why i'm so gutted the views were perfect at the top. Thanks for the pics, cracking :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

I was up here at the end of June and enjoyed fantastic views throughout the day. It's a great circuit.

Shame about the camera :?
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:11 pm

That's dreadful - nice of Trailer to put in two stunning pics too.
Shall I add a link to my Winter wonder/wander of what you missed??? :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:42 pm

kevsbald wrote:Shall I add a link to my Winter wonder/wander of what you missed???

That's cruel min. Cruel! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby csimbad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks GGE, yes its a pretty good route makes it even better when you get the veiws. :)
Gable Gable End wrote:I was up here at the end of June and enjoyed fantastic views throughout the day. It's a great circuit.

Shame about the camera :?
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby davetherave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Go on Kev, post that link. If I remember correctly your winter pics were stunning on a that cheapo digi camera. Ha ha.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland