walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Beinn Fhionnlaidh & Beinn Sgulaird

Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Beinn Fhionnlaidh & Beinn Sgulaird

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Beinn Sgulaird, Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 30.4 km

Ascent: 3066m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned to walk Sgor na h-Ulaidh & Beinn Fhionnlaidh in Glen Etive, this would just leave Beinn Sgulaird to complete the Munros in this area.

I then started to think that maybe i could link Beinn Sgulaird into the equation and make this an enjoyable epic :)
No one had posted anything on WH so it was off to the multiple munro baggers site that is Steve Fallon. Sure enough he linked all 3, on what would be mostly pathless terrain for much of the walk. I decided to vary his route slightly....

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Early rise and left the beautifully enchanting landscape that is the East of Glasgow, would Glen Etive match it for superlative scenery and wonderment....

Drove to NN11000 45321 and left my bike here, this would leave a 5k or so cycle back to the start/car.

Admiring the beauty of Loch Etive before driving back to the start

Got to the start and headed North 2k through Glen Etive forrest at 7.15am

When cleared the edge of the forrest i traversed west before countouring NW under Meall a bhuiridh

Views South

and West

The terrain was pathless and extremely boggy but i soon got to Bealach Clach nam Mierleach. I ditched my rucksack here and headed NE a 200M before ascending the rocky last 600M NE to the summit of Sgor na h-Ulaidh

For some reason i wasn't enjoying todays outing and when i reached the summit the clag appeared and i could see nothing, at this point i thought of heading back to my car. . . .not felt like this on the hills before, was i losing interest?

No summit shot of the cairn to impress the good folks of WH with.

I gathered my thoughts and headed back to the bealach, the tricky rocky West face of Beinn Fhionnlaidh staring at me

By now the clag had dissappeared and seeing what lay ahead renewed my motivation.
At the foot of the rocks i went South 400M then W 100M before heading upwards N to the ridge leading to the summit of Beinn Fhionnlaidh. I had not taken a direct route up the West face as it looked very dodgy.

Ridge to Beinn Fhionnlaidh

I could now see the 3rd munro Beinn Sgulaird in the distance

I soon reached the summit of Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Quick bite to eat here as i knew the difficult part of the walk lay ahead. By now i was in good spirits and really enjoying the solitude, being lost in my own thoughts. . . .and thinking, that this marginally beats the East End for beauty :lol:

With renewed purpose and vigour i retraced my steps down the ridge 500M and turned right, heading South for 1k following some fence posts.
I could see Sgulaird in the distance

Being able to see clearly i just made sure i stayed west of Lochan na Fola & Airigh nan Lochan. The terrain was wet, boggy and pathless...but i was having fun. The trail running shoes wet and dirty.

When at Lochan na Fola i started to ascend west to Stob Gaibre. It was now that i started to really feel it, the ascent never seemed to stop....but again i was enjoying the phsyical challenge, i had entered a new zone :shock:

I had ran out of water so was drinking from streams, yummy . . . .saying that at this point i would have drank my own ****, in the name of preserving life :) .

Finally reached Stob Gaibhre and viewed the last ascent to Sgulaird

Again this felt like hard work, but again strangely enjoyable. . . .i had long forgotten about my mini breakdown at the start of the walk, what was that about :?

I reached the summit of Sgulaird and the clag appeared, managed one photo

Ate some pasta and was on my way for the epic walk out. I decided to descend straight down the centre of Coire nan Tulach, this presented no difficulties. It was a staight forward walk 5k East to the West side of Glen Etive forrest, again terrain super boggy and wet.

At the forrest there is a muddy path over 2k which takes you to the end of the walk and hopefully to my bike.

The last 2k were torture, i was covered in mud to my knees and was very wet.

Thankfully my bike was still there and i cycled the 5k back to the car, this was very enjoyable with the views over to starav and friends spectacular.

Got in the car and left at 5.15pm, the drive back through Glen Etive stunning.

This was a very hard walk but i enjoyed it thoroughly and the solitude had given me time to sort some stuff out in my head, i was now looking forward to Glasgow and the beauty that lay waiting in the East End :wink:

p.s well done to Rockhopper who completed a similar route then next day did the Starav 5, superb effort.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Beinn Fhionnlaidh & Beinn Sgulaird

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 pm

all looks strangely familiar dooter :lol: great report and a good idea to ditch the rucksack at times

good idea about the bike to return back up - with hindsight, I think I prefer your return route :D

you could have just added Beinn Trilleachan on at the end.... :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Like I said on rockhoppers TR thats a big route,nice one,my gammy knee would never hold out doing this round. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 pm

rockhopper wrote:all looks strangely familiar dooter :lol: great report and a good idea to ditch the rucksack at times

good idea about the bike to return back up - with hindsight, I think I prefer your return route :D

you could have just added Beinn Trilleachan on at the end.... :wink:

I did think about Beinn Trilleachan but i had better things waiting for me in the East End of Glasgow, i had to preserve some energy :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Like I said on rockhoppers TR thats a big route,nice one,my gammy knee would never hold out doing this round. :lol:

Sure it would gammy, just do it over 3 days. .wild camping 2 of them :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby mountainstar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Another impressive big walk there, reminds me when I used to be that mad! :)
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Woodsy Boy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm

As they say in the East End " aff yer heid "
Woodsy Boy
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:12   Donalds:8+3
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Jockstar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Great effort and glad you got the views in the end as it could have been a long walk spoiled ! I'd be looking to wild camp on this one. Well done :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Wow! Impressive jaunt!!! :shock:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:37 am

mountainstar wrote:Another impressive big walk there, reminds me when I used to be that mad! :)

Aye, now your madly insane :D

Jockstar wrote:Great effort and glad you got the views in the end as it could have been a long walk spoiled ! I'd be looking to wild camp on this one. Well done :D

look forward to your TR

Woodsy Boy wrote:As they say in the East End " aff yer heid "

Yeah like you aint :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby wgordon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:07 am

Went up Beinn Sgulaird yesterday with the Glasgow group. First hill walk for ages. Seriously need to get fitter. Have time off soon looking forward to the snow and some energy sapping adventures like this one dooter. Bit disappointed to not see a photo of you silhouetted at the very tip of a precipice as was your signature pose when I walked with you.
wgordon
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:87
Fionas:10   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:18

Postby Butterscotch » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Fantastic - I love seeing multiple hills combined :clap:
Butterscotch

Munros:259   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

Postby Spade » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Great report, reminder of the days pre corona. :clap: aye, how our world has changed :(
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland