walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Postby clivew » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 10/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1277m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I managed to escape the torrential rain in Edinburgh and headed North to one of my favourite parts of the Highlands, Glen Lyon. Had to stop of at the van in the parking area at Glen Ogle on the way up, the lure of a bacon roll and a coffee were too strong to allow me to drive past, its well worth a visit if you are heading this way. Plenty of activity around Ben Lawers car park as there was an event taking place.
The weather was great for walking, high cloud, warm with very little wind, perfect. There were plenty of cars in the car park below the Giorra dam, everyone taking advantage of the weather and heading for the hills.
Started walking at 10.20 followed the stony track for a few hundred metres on the north side of Loch an Daimh, ignored the first track and turned off just past the small dam on the track heading up towards the ridge. The start of the path is a bit boggy but it's not long before you are up on firmer ground; there is a bit more boggy ground before you reach the summit of Meall a'Phuill but nothing which caused any problems. Once on the top of Meall a'Phuill the route to the Cairn on Meall Buidhe stretched out along the ridge in front of you, I reached the summit in an hour and a quarter. The view from the summit was superb with a clear view of Rannoch Moor and West towards Glencoe and of Stuchd an Lochain which was going to be my second Munro of the day. I had a good quick walk back down to the car park, took me a further 45 mins, stopped at the car for 20 minutes for a coffee and cheese roll before heading across the bridge and up the track above the boat house towards Stuchd an Lochain. The first part of the track is steep and wet as you are walking up through a stream in places but it was easy going up to the top and then its a great ridge walk along to the summit of Stuchd an Lochain. Half way along the ridge I could see a storm heading my way from the NW, I had plenty of advance warning so stopped and put on my waterproofs just before the rain arrived. It chucked it down for about 20 minutes but soon moved away and it didn't spoil the view from the summit which was superb, particularly the view down to Lochan nan Cat directly below the summit. I didn't stay long on the top and was back at the car at 3.20, I changed into something dry and headed off back along the road to Ben Lawers and Killin. Just before I reached the Ben Lawers car park a rescue helicopter went by with the winch man waving out of the door. I later learned that an elderly walker had died on the Tarmacan Ridge, what a shame and my sympathies to the man's family. I think if I had the choice I would much rather pass away in the mountains than in a hospital bed, I've already told the better half where I want my ashes scattered.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Postby monty » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Sounds like a nice double Clive. Well done. The rain was always going to come along but didn't seem to last too long. Shame about the poor guy on Tarmacan. :(
monty

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Sounds like you had a good day here ..... So sad to hear of someone passing away on the hills tho. Is it feasable for a sassanach like me to do a circuit of the loch and bag the two Munro,s and the Corbet on the way?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby clivew » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Luvhiking wrote:Sounds like you had a good day here ..... So sad to hear of someone passing away on the hills tho. Is it feasable for a sassanach like me to do a circuit of the loch and bag the two Munro,s and the Corbet on the way?

Hi, yes I'm sure you would manage the walk with no problem, it really is a great part of Scotland to visit with loads of Munros within easy striking distance. It was made easier by the weather being so kind but it's not the sort of route that would give you a problem even when the cloud is down.
Hope you enjoy it.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby sloosh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

clivew wrote: I think if I had the choice I would much rather pass away in the mountains than in a hospital bed, I've already told the better half where I want my ashes scattered.

Me too.. and me too (the top of Ben Nevis with everyone wearing Star Trek outfits :lol: )

Stuchd an Lochain is one of my favourites. A hidden jewel, imo.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby clivew » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 pm

monty wrote:Sounds like a nice double Clive. Well done. The rain was always going to come along but didn't seem to last too long. Shame about the poor guy on Tarmacan. :(

Hi Monty, yes I really enjoyed these two; it was good to be able to leave my flask and food in the car to lighten my load it's amazing the difference it makes. According to today's papers the walker who died had a heart attack, my wife looked a bit worried when she read the story as I often walk on my own but as I told her there is no point in worrying about it is there.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby clivew » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm

sloosh wrote:
clivew wrote: I think if I had the choice I would much rather pass away in the mountains than in a hospital bed, I've already told the better half where I want my ashes scattered.

Me too.. and me too (the top of Ben Nevis with everyone wearing Star Trek outfits :lol: )

Stuchd an Lochain is one of my favourites. A hidden jewel, imo.

Ye great views from the summit well worth the walk.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Cheers Clive; Thats really helpful and I agree with 'sloosh' I would rather go to the 'Happy Hunting Ground' in the hills rather than in a hospital bed!! :)
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland