walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Six Year Old Monster Found on the Buch!

A Six Year Old Monster Found on the Buch!

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 10/07/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 800m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I fell in love with Victoria's children shortly after I fell head over heels with her; when I first them; they were fun; lively; outgoing; confident; affectionate; well mannered.... And I could go on... They're my children now; and they're my family; so a chance to welcome them to my back garden meant mountains! And their first munro...

I pondered; which one was it to be; before settling on the Buch; it had to be the Buch... No blue pin for me today; I've already had the pleasure of this ridge; but it needed to be a special memory for them; they love to clamber about; and being so close to a road; this seemed an obvious choice with no long walk in. Mum needed a good wilderness fix too; and well I'll come back here again; I love this mountain...

As we topped out on Rannoch Moor and rounded the corner to the sight of Buachaille Etive Mor; we had two very excited children in the car pointing and screaming with excitement. I told them I thought it was too hard for them and we should pick an easier one, but we could have a crack if they wanted with a wink in my eye... Easy they said... The Buch it is...

So, meet my baby girl Megan (8) and my boy, Sam (6)...

DSCN0238.JPG
We're going to climb the Buch!

Craig, my good friend also joined us with his stunning black labrador; Rocco (the goat). The weather was looking great and we were all set for a stunning day in the hills. Bliss...

DSCN0239.JPG
Craig on the bridge at the start of the walk with Megan and Sam

DSCN0240.JPG
The route ahead; straight up the corrie...

If any of you are wondering how you get a six year old to climb a mountain without whining; despite this strange pain in the legs that they have no idea what is; then it's simple... Lollies...

DSCN0244.JPG

We made fairly short work of the corrie; one stop half way up for drinks and lollies and the first sign of monsters munching on the Buch...

DSCN0254.JPG

Sam was our lead climber / route finder and he was fairly flying up the mountain. What were large steps to us adults were full on climbing and scrambling for him... He loved it from the word go.

DSCN0264.JPG

It was fun all the way up; with team boys largely leading team girls; well you'd expect that hey :) We stopped for photos on the steep bit; the favourite bit for the kids; fun they thuoght scrambling up.

DSCN0272.JPG

DSCN0274.JPG

And it wasn't long before four monsters mysteriously topped out on the main ridge with just the one perfectly timed stumble for the video...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8E0juAI260[/youtube]

Those of you that know this mountain will know that the hard work is now all done; and it's a simple stroll to the summit of the Buch. We headed straight on up pausing briefly for a pre-summit video interview...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKDAftnbQU[/youtube]

DSCN0285.JPG

We spent well over an hour on the summit; well why not; I mean where else would you want to be... We were on the edge of space; and everything about it was perfect...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhNHw1qJgNM[/youtube]

DSCN0296.JPG

DSCN0301.JPG

DSCN0306.JPG

DSCN0313.JPG

Thanks to Craig; my kids loved him; and after my two months away in India was good to catch up in the hills... A cracking day in the hills where we just had fun in my back garden; the monsters said it was the biggest back garden they had ever seen :) They'll be back for a week in August, and we have a week in Torridon in October all booked up :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0VuCxKibb4[/youtube]

To hell with the TV and Computer Games I say; when you have a back garden like this they're not required... Will my boy complete them all; maybe; I doubt it; that's my challenge; not his; but you never know...

As long as they both pursue their dreams and have their own adventures; whatever and wherever they end up being; then I'll be one happy Daddy;

Today, I'm content with just being Buch'ing proud of them; if you'll pardon my French...
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: A Six Year Old Monster Found on the Buch!

Postby monty » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:41 pm

What a lovely report Andrew. Well done on the two youngsters doing a big hill. :shock: Certainly beats sitting in with computer games or watching T.V. Superb :D
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Great!I love seeing kids up the hills, so much better than on a games consule.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 am

A lovely report Andrew, the four of you look so happy on the hills

Here's wishing you all many more happy days in the great outdooors :thumbup:

Ps always enjoy looking at your photos, you have a real talent
morag1

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 am

Great stuff Andrew, I love how the monsters look so enthusiastic about the walk. We have taken our 2 girls out on smaller hills a few times and all theyve done is moan....maybe we should go for the bookil too, who wouldnt want to climb that as you drive towards it from Rannoch Moor??? Brilliant effort by the kids 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Mainser » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

A great report and struck so many chords with me - I did it with my 10 year old daughter several years ago, but living in the South East of England never got to do too many with her, now as a teenager, I doubt she will do any for a while, but hopefully when she is older its something that she may be inspired to do again.

Took my youngest who was 4 at the time up Ben Hope last year and she loved it, be up in a similar area again in August so maybe catch another with her :)
Mainser
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Great report Andrew, good to see all the smiling faces even after what must have been a hard walk. :) :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks all - I too like seeing kids oot and aboot; that's where they should be :D

Mainser wrote:A great report and struck so many chords with me - I did it with my 10 year old daughter several years ago,

It's all about creating memories... I'm glad this reminded you of some happy ones :D

lomondwalkers wrote:A lovely report Andrew, the four of you look so happy on the hills

Thank you... They're special people; and life's too short not to be happy and larking about having fun...

morag1 wrote:Ps always enjoy looking at your photos, you have a real talent

Blush - thank you, but think you must have me confused with some of the other shooters - loads of great shots on this site from everyone... :D

monty wrote:What a lovely report Andrew. Well done on the two youngsters doing a big hill. :shock: Certainly beats sitting in with computer games or watching T.V. Superb :D

Thanks Monty - I'm training the boy to keep up with you :twisted:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:54 pm

Andrew,

What a beautiful report. More a heart-warming account than a hillclimbing one! Totally loved the photo of you all bunched together lying on the grass. No wonder you hate being away from your family, they are adorable.!

No need to tell you how lucky you are, you already know it!! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Enjoyed that - great to see the kids out and an icon with which to start :D My two used to do a bit of walking with their "old man" but it's not apparently not "cool" for teenagers now - keep their enthusiasm going and they may yet overtake you :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jockstar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Wonderful account of a great familiy day out, and what a beauty to climb. :D Well done to all of you and I'm sure there will be many more days like that to come. Beats sitting in at home wondering what to do ! :D :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Fab to see children out enjoying the hills and the challenge and they are so cute too!

My 3 have got their own bagging maps now and love the walking .... and the competition! :lol:
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Brilliant! What it's all about! I so look forward to when our wee girl can do this! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 pm

A really heart warming report Andrew,great to see you & your family enjoying there day out,my oldest lassie has climbed 3 munros,but not sure if she really enjoyed her self or not,would love to see a picture of her & alan s(from the site) & my 2 grandweans on top of this one(can dream),once again great report
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby old danensian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Smashing report Andrew - great to see the enthusiasm you've sparked.

A great one for them to claim as their first, but like Rockhopper I'm booking it for my 100.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland