walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walks with stolen camera Part 1

Walks with stolen camera Part 1

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Date walked: 04/07/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 315m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since we bought the new camera I had very little opportunity to try it. Kevin wouldn't let me take pictures while climbing because "he, the man with the big brain knows better how to use it" :lol: :lol: :lol: I let him play with his new toy for a few months but eventually I run out of patience. Last Monday after my husband set off for work I packed the camera in my rucksack and decided to go for a solo walk!
Well, Kevin might have left the camera but he took the car :lol: :lol: so I had to choose something close to our village. I decided to investigate the hills north of Beauly. It was a very hot day so I made sure that I had enough water and sunscreen (my skin doesn't stand UV, I get nasty burns if I'm not careful) and left home with a big smile :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I walked through the village center and turned NW past the church and the bridge over railway.
Very quickly I was surrounded by wild nature :D
Beautiful foxgloves grew on every corner:
Past Croyard I turned west and then north again towards Ruilick. I was still on a tarmac road and walking was pleasant in the sun:
I was about 100m above the sea level and nice views down started showing up:
View east to Beauly Firth:
I'm so glad to live in Beauly - such a lovely, quiet village:
Beauly pano with the river meandering through the village:
Gaining height but still on a good road:
It may be only about 300m of ascent but as temperature was in high twenties, I was sweating...
I walked past the crossing to Dunmore and took a forest track up into the shadowy woods:
Wild roses:
The main track through this forest goes NW passing the summit of Creag na Manachainn to the left. Some trees have been cut recently:
...but the remaining ones provided enough shadow for a very pleasant stroll:
At some point I noticed I was being watched from the far distance:
I followed the track for a few kilometers. I noticed first edible mushrooms growing in the forest - hey, it will soon be mushroom picking time, my favorite time of the year :lol: :lol: ! Mushrooms like warm and wet weather, we certainly had plenty of both in recent weeks.
Looking back down the track:
As I got to the highest point of my walk, where the track emerged from the forest, I could fully admire the beauty of surrounding landscape, including views to the firth:
Close up:
The mast on the top of Cnoc Udais:
I spent some time wandering around the hilltops to find the best spots for photographing. I still don't know how to use half the functions in the new camera but who cares... It was FUN!
Ben Wyvis:
Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard:
Finally, I walked down to the little loch (Loch nam Bonnach) and sat on a rock on the small stony beach, just sinking in the views around me and listening to the silence... Then I had some more fun and games with the camera :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cnoc Udais and Ben Wyvis in the background from the loch shore:
Such a shame I forgot to take my swimsuit...
That's an interesting hill across the loch. Hmmm... Maybe worth a visit next time?
On the way back I met some locals - they must have felt hooot in their long furs!
I had one more chance to get a good close-up of Kessock Bridge:
Foxgloves again:
Back to Beauly:
Can't see the roof of my house from up here, it's hidden in the trees...
The last look at Beauly Firth before walking down to the village:
I returned home with the precious camera intact, plenty of lovely memories and a satisfaction of a well-spent summer day. Yes, I think I'll steal the toy more often :shh: .
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Walks with stolen camera Part 1

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Interesting title - wasn't sure what to expect until I read further :lol: Good photos - you will need to "borrow" it more often 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gagfax » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Did you get a telling off later? :lol:
gagfax

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Good for you, and what a great wee report of a walk on your doorstep. Can see our campsite almost on your photos looking down the Firth. ( ps. had chips in Beauly on our trip back from Maol Chean-dearg last week) :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby warbietoo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Great photo's. I think Kevin is a little jealous of your photographic skills and thats the real reason why he won't let you take pics....... :lol:
warbietoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Redrock » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am

I think Kevin's definitely lost his camera now! :lol: Brilliant photos of a lovely day in the countryside! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks folks, it might not have been an epic climb but I really enjoyed it :lol:
gagfax wrote:Did you get a telling off later? :lol:

I wasn't punished for stealing the camera - I know the best way to make Kevin forgive me anything and it's called homemade chocolate croissant :lol: :lol:
warbietoo wrote:Great photo's. I think Kevin is a little jealous of your photographic skills and thats the real reason why he won't let you take pics....... :lol:

My photographic skills with the new camera at the moment are restricted to "push the button, camera goes beep-beep, picture done!" The last thing I learned is how to change ISO and exposure. I'll soon get there... :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Greigers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:13 pm

you are an Author with that camera and the pics easily tell the story, tell kevin you lost the camera be in doghouse for a few days and he`ll have to buy a new one then you miraculously find the lost camera :lol:
Greigers
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland