walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Foinaven from the north

Foinaven from the north

Postby GariochTom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Route description: Foinaven circuit

Corbetts included on this walk: Foinaven

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1005m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The winding single track A838 road from Tongue Youth Hostel circumnavigated Loch Eriboll and then followed the coastline before eventually reaching the start point of our Foinaven walk, just to the west of Gualin House.

We had read that the lochan-dotted land between the road and the foot of Foinaven was extremely boggy, so we started the walk with some trepidation and with gaiters fitted.

However, we were pleasantly surprised that underfoot conditions weren't that bad after all – perhaps because of the recent dry weather.

IMG_6902.JPG
Reflection of Foinaven

We saw what I think was a golden eagle, soaring overhead...
IMG_6912-1.JPG
Golden eagle?

Once the flattish walk to the bottom of the hill was complete, we had some mild scrambling to do before reaching the ridge where we were treated to views across to the summit and up Strath Dionard.
IMG_6915.JPG
Foinaven and Strath Dionard

Clouds started to form but the wind meant that they were constantly moving, and views across the surrounding landscape kept disappearing and appearing...
IMG_6917.JPG
Looking down the Coire Duail

IMG_6918.JPG
A Cheir Chorm

IMG_6972.JPG
A Cheir Gorm

IMG_6924.JPG
West of Foinaven

IMG_6937.JPG
Approaching Ganu Mor in the cloud

The views from the summit were breathtaking.
Pano from Foinaven 3.JPG
Panorama from Foinaven

Pano from Foinaven 2.JPG
Panorama

We decided that rather than continue along the ridge and down A Cheir Gorm which looked particularly 'scree-y', we would instead descend the Coire Duail to the northeast. We descended towards the Strath Dionard, and opposite us the Moine Thrust was clearly visible.
IMG_6973.JPG
The Moine Thrust and Strath Dionard

Lower down, the slopes were dominated by huge slabs of rock - wouldn't like to walk on these in icy conditions!
IMG_6978.JPG
Descending slabs of rock

The last leg of the walk was along the track from Loch Dionard, beside the River Dionard along which there were many fishing 'points' (are they called beats? I'm not sure... anyway, apparently the river is one of the best for salmon and sea trout).

Another great walk in a brilliant part of Scotland.

foinaven approx route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: Foinaven from the north

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Driving up to Lochinver while you were heading up Foinaven. Some cracking shots :)
Assynt has been busy of late with Walkhighlanders :lol:
Cheers
soulminer

Postby GariochTom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Hope you had a good time in the Lochinver area - I was so tempted to take a diversion and drive home that way, to visit the pie shop...

Assynt should be a well-kept secret so it doesn't get over-run! (One tourist per 10 square miles sounds fine to me..). It's a brilliant area... we had 3 days of walking there - 3rd day was Ben Klibreck - walk report just published.
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Hope I'm not blowing your well-kept secret by posting here :lol: . Missed this report completely.

Foinaven is such a great hill, and seems to be rather overlooked (which is probably a good thing as you say). Some nice shots there, and looks like you took a similar route down to the one we went up. It looked like there was scope for 3 or 4 more different route choices on the NE side of the hill - must go back sometime to explore some more of them.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Paula Hubens » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Impressive pictures, really nice! I remember eyeing up Arkle and Foinaven in 2004 when I was walking past on the Cape Wrath Trail. I was quite taken with the interesting 'architecture' of both hills. Your pictures capture that beautifully!
Paula Hubens

Postby GariochTom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:30 pm

I think the secret has already been blown, malky_c! :D

Thanks Paula! Yes, the hills have real architectural interest! I thought the Moine Thrust was quite something.
Would you recommend the Cape Wrath Trail then?
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am

Fit like Tom? Noticed the siggy so ye must be fae roon aboot Inverurie?

Nice to see this report - Foinaven is defo a must-do for me.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby GariochTom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am

Kevsbald - Ay ay min, I do indeed bide in Inverurie.... although I moved here from Englandshire so my Doric isn't very convincing! :D

Yes I highly recommend Foinaven - almost as good as Suilven!
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 am

Well I hinna deen that ene either so I best get up there! Ye'll soon catch on wi the doric, it's an affa strang dialect nae till.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland