walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Chlachair my 100th Munro

Beinn a' Chlachair my 100th Munro

Postby Bod » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 14/07/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1268m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After leaving Cowdenbeath about 7.15am I was driving down the banks of Loch Lagan some couple of hours later. Redrock, Valerie and myself were treated to a beautiful morning view across the loch towards Ardverikie House. This stunning old Estate House figured magnificently in the comedy drama series, Monarch of the Glen.
At 10.00am we were standing on the bridge over the River Spean ready for the 5km walk-in to Lochan na Hearba. Standing at this glorious spot we were able to start properly assessing the day ahead. The initial plan was an ascent of Creag Pitridh, followed by Geal Charn and then Beinn a' Chlachair the mountain that I had chosen to be by 100th Munro.
1.JPG
My dog Ritchie loving much more than simply the stunning views from this location.
2.JPG
Redrock and my wife Valerie, my trusty companions for the occasion.
3.JPG
This is me feeling fresh and eager to move on despite the previous 1 hour walk-in......
4.JPG
Ritchie leading the way - was not to sure how long he was going to hang on to that stick.
5.JPG
Following Allt Coire Pitridh, we were looking for the burn junction coinciding with the track.
6.JPG
Redrock just behind me on our way up the side of Sgurr an t-Saighdeir.
7.JPG
The 3 of us on Creag Pitridh, Munro no. 98! (Redrock self-timer)
8.JPG
Ritchie waiting patiently before guiding us very effectively onwards and upwards onto Geal Charn, his 40th Munro!
9.JPG
Creag Pitridh now behind us, with Redrock and Valerie blethering away whilst Ritchie and I focus on our bagging!
10.JPG
A surprising bonnie cairn on the summit of Geal Charn. Ritchie still heading onwards as he senses his 40th (thanks to Redrock for this photo)
11.JPG
Three amigos or musketeers, not sure which? Although the Redrock perhaps resembles the Lone Ranger! (My Munro no.99)
12.JPG
Now it's time to head for Beinn a' Chlachair! Will I reach my 100th? Initially you would think "nae bother", look there it is in the distance. But we had a small incident shortly after leaving Geal Charn that had me thinking a drop off to the bealach and back to the car might be approaching! One of my trusty companions experienced a visual disturbance and we sensibly stopped. Following resting for 10mins or so, with opportunity for extra sustenance, we all adorned our sunglasses and started making good progress again.
13.JPG
Ritchie at a fine cooling spot near the bealach. Proud of his 40 Munros he was showing no signs of dropping his pace.
:shock: :D :D I now headed straight for the northeast nose of Beinn a' Chlachair looking for a suspected path up through the steep rocky slope. This was not obvious even when standing at the highest point of the path and it was in fact Ritchie that quickly found where many had passed before. Once climbing we were soon up above 900 metres again with the 3km long broad ridge ahead.
14.JPG
An excellent way up the northeast nose of the mountain.
15.JPG
Redrock and I with Creag Pitridh and Geal Charn behind us.
16.JPG
There it is, my 100th Munro within reach! Not an "out and out" bagger myself I have to admit the occasion was very present in my mind.
17.JPG
Redrock and Valerie allow me to solo the final climb with Ritchie by my side - there was no stopping him....Yeha!!!
18.JPG
I have to admit I had a wee moment to myself as I walked on to the cairn - like nothing I have felt before on reaching the summit of a mountain. The spirit of the Scottish Mountains was with me more than ever!!! Loved my wee dram of "Talisker" Malt Whisky....been considering a tipple on the tops for some time now, and glad I had kept it for this one! A ton of different mountains behind me now.....
19.JPG
Well here we are again - Ritchie behaving wearily for the first time of the day. He tried to curl up among the rocks of the cairn for a snooze, but we needed to move on back round Coire Mor Chlachair as the clouds were starting to roll in towards us.
20.JPG
A fantastic view into the areas of Aonach Beag and Ben Alder left us thinking of future days when we would see this fun mountain again.....(Thanks Redrock for the wide pic)
21.JPG
Back down near the Lochan after a tricky and steep descent. Note the thick cloud now blanketing our hills...
22.JPG
Look at them now! How come they are so fresh faced after our the walk-out (which incidentally felt much harder than in the morning)...comes with the game!
23.JPG
One happy boy to see his bed again!
:D :D :lol: Delighted with my choice for completing my first 100 Munros, thanks to Valerie, Redrock and of course Ritchie for sharing my day. Thanks also to those who have made compliments already during my draft. Slainte' mhor :lol:
Last edited by Bod on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:35 am, edited 35 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Beinn a' Chlachair my 100th Munro

Postby Jabber » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Magic number that! Well done.. 8)
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby PeteR » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Congratulations on the 100. A great route to hit that landmark with :D And you had a great day for it too by the looks of it. Some great pictures 8) Loved these hills when I was there recently 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Brilliant Bod - congratulations on getting to your 100 :clap: :clap: Lovely view to start with and looks like you all had a great day. Well done :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Well done Bod :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a fantastic achievement topped by fabulous company and lovely weather :D 8)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Zevon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 am

Aye - congratulations!

I've long thought that whole route is maybe the best dog walk in Scotland!

:)
Zevon

Postby pigeon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:24 am

Ah yes Talisker ,a fine choice for a special occasion,well done Bod looks like you had a great time,might head up that way next weekend if the weather plays the game like :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Looks like you had a cracking day for the ton up. Excellent stuff on hitting the landmark :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby iainwatson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 am

congrats on reaching 100,well done! :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

Many,many congratulations on number 100 bod,if its not too cheecky,how long has it taken you to reach this mark.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Congratulations, Bod! It must feel fantastic to pass the magic number 100. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Redrock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Great report for you 100th, Bod! Congratulations on getting to the ton! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: It was a privilege to share in you reaching this BIG milestone! :D

By the way, my "visual disturbance" was not a subtle ploy to stop you reaching your 100th before me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Weird thing :? - maybe I got a blast of sunlight in my eye after all - but the rehydration and sustenance stop did the trick! :D

Your report did the expedition proud! I'll just add one more photo of my amigos - thoroughly enjoying the hills! 8)

P1070031.JPG
Bod, Valerie and Ritchie with Gael Charn in the background

In the words of the Lone Ranger "Hi ho Silver!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Here's to our next expedition! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby ndhudson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats, Bod!!!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Stretch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Welcome to the century club Bod! Well done!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

About 30 years glw, cheers for asking? You got me thinking, and I can't even remember if it was Mount Keen or Lochnagar that I climbed first? :lol:
gammy leg walker wrote:Many,many congratulations on number 100 bod,if its not too cheecky,how long has it taken you to reach this mark.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland