walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nine Foxy Fannichs.

Nine Foxy Fannichs.

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Breac, Sgùrr Mòr, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 16/07/2011

Time taken: 12.1 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 3124m

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The elusive Sidewinder (Gordon), Monty and myself had decided that we would tackle 9 of the 10 Fannichs in one big loop.
Sidewinder had walked 57k last weekend in the Cairngorm taking in 6 Munros - 17hours, Monty was back on form taking in the CMD and Grey Corries in an epic outing. . . .last weekend i updated my TR, would i be fit enough to keep up with these big baggers :?

Monty travelled up alone Friday, and i with Gordon Friday night. Monty and Gordon had the luxury of a tent whilst i slept in the back seats of a Transit van :shock: . Well i think i slept for 3 hours in all!!

Up at 5am and we drove to the finish to meet Monty, picked him up and again drove the 10mile to the start. Montys car was left at the finish which would enable us to drive to the start to Gordons van, saving us cycling 10 mile which Gordon and i had planned if Monty wasnt coming.

Got to the start at 6.15am and off we went. The weather forecast hadn't been favourable, but we didn't mind as insanity had crept into our psyches long ago :D

Our route for today

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The start

This way

You follow a well defined path for 2k through woodland in a SW direction before picking up a boggy path along side the Abhainn a Ghiuthais Li, crossing 2 foot bridges.

Continue SW across undulating boggy wet moorland, keeping West of Loch Odhar and Loch Gorm

Loch Odhar

Loch Gorm

Once passed Loch Gorm you begin the ascent to Munro 1 - An Coileachan

We reached the summit after 2hrs 15mins. The 7k to reach this was testing due to the boggy terrain, but we were pleased with our efforts. The cloud base was low at this point so views non existent.

Sidewinder Summit Pose

Meall Gorm was Munro 2 and only 2k away, it presented no difficulties. Navigation was required due to the thick cloud. Head in a NW direction for 1k then NNW for the last k. When we left Munro 1 Monty walked off in the wrong direction, he did this on Munro 2 also :shock: Get the paper map out Monty, stop relying on your GPS :wink:
I used map and compass all day with the help of Gordons GPS veryfing location. This combo worked well for us.

Meall Gorm

To reach Munro 3 continue NW for 2k to the top of Meall nan Peithirean. Continue NW for 500M and contour round the SE face of Sgurr Mor (munro 4). Munro 3 - Beinn Laith Mhor Fannaich is 2k away in a NE direction

The cloud was starting to clear and bursts of sunshine trickled the landscape, the mountains appeared and stood rugged and tall. We even got a rainbow :)

Rainbow

To summit Munro 3 required scrambling over a boulder field, if careful it should present no difficulties.
At the summit we met 3 ladies from Glasgow who would be spreading the route over 2 days.
One of them kindly took a photo of the 3 amigos on Munro 3 - poor woman must be mentally scarred :lol:

Back along the ridge SW before turning NW to the steep pull up Munro 4 - Sgurr Mor
I was feeling pretty good and found this a good work out :)

Loch an Fhuar Thuill Mhoir - you can just make out Monty & Sidewinder

I reached the Summit quickly and took a quick photo
Summit Sgurr Mor

Looking back i noticed the guys ascending the South face of Sgurr mor which provided a good photo opportunity.

zoomed

We had some food and rested at Munro 4. Monty had found the ascent to Sgurr Mor testing and would struggle from now on, his knees inflamed and cramp setting in. . . .poor guy :lol:

To reach Munro No 5 - Meall a Chrasgaidh descend NW 1k and follow the plateau west for 500M before again heading NW for 1.5k.
There didnt seem to be a path up Munro NO 5 so Gordon and i just took a steep line and went for it, Monty followed behind.

Views South to Munros 6 & 7 - Sgurr nan Clach Geala & Sgurr nan Each

Ascending to Munro 5 - Meall a Chrasgaidh the sun had shone and the heat was intense. I rolled up my trousers and was bare chested. 2 minutes later and the heavens opened and again the cloud appeared. At this point i chose to put all waterproofs on, this would turn out to be one of my better decisions. Gordon didnt and would pay the price later.

Summit of Meall a Chrasgaidh - Munro 5

The next 2 Munros are along a very nice ridge - head south for 4k to bag both.

Monty on Summit of Munro No 6 - Sgurr nan Clach Geala

Looking back North along the ridge to Munro No 6 - Sgurr nan Clach Geala

Monty was really struggling by now and had decided that after Summiting munro No 7 he would call it quits, he was fine with this as had bagged Munros 8 & 9 in a previous outing.

Sidewinder on Summit of Munro No 7 - Sgurr nan Each

....and Monty on his final Munro of the day - a great effort considering not feeling great.

We all headed back along the ridge North for 1k to Cadha na Guite and headed west desending to the base of Munro No 8 - Sgurr Breac. Monty would take a Northenly path back to the car.

At this point the heavens opened and the rain lashed, the wind was up and the cloud thicker than my ex partner - it really was that thick :lol: 8)

The ascent to Sgurr Breac was long and i was glad to reach it. I did at one point though i had over shot and missed it.
Gordon arrived 5 minutes after me. His trousers soaked and boots filled with water, he realised he should have whipped on those waterproofs a while back. . . .these young/old pretenders :wink:

Summit Cairn Munro No 8 - Sgurr Breac

We didnt hang around as the weather was not relenting in its ferocity, we charged onwards to the final Munro of A Chailleach. To get to this summit was one of the easier ascents and a welcome relief.
We posed for Munro No 9 - A Chailleach

We quickly descended the 1.5k back east to Bealach Toll an Lochan and started our final 5k to the finish.
4k of this was across undulating, pathless, wet, boggy, steep, rocky ground and visibility was poor due to the thick cloud. The rain was still lashing and at one point hail stones the size of golf balls battered us. . . .but Gordon and i enjoyed it all as we just loved being outside on these hills and experiencing whatever they threw at us.

After what seemed like an eternity we reached the final very steep descent down the NE face of Sron na Leitir Fhearna.
This was very dangerous and not fir the faint hearted. As we got lower the cloud cleared and we spotted the finish line, our spirits lifted.

The last 2k was across flattish wet boggy ground before reaching a bridge at Loch a Bhraoin which presented a lovely final 1k via a wooded area.
The Bridge

Loch a Bhraoin

Boat House

Final look to our last descent down Sron na Leitir Fhearna
Sron na Leitir Fhearna

Monty was waiting in his car, had been for 2hours, and drove us to Gordons van. Monty wished us well and sped off. Gordon and i changed into dry clothes before heading to Inverness for a chinese take away to replace the mammoth amount of calories used. After our food we headed down the A9 to Glasgow, we got home at Midnight.

This was a fantastic route/day with 2 extremely nice people who provided great banter and encouragement.
I look forward to more big bagger experiences with the old guard :wink:
Last edited by dooterbang on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Nine Foxy Fannichs.

Postby gagfax » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Looks a long day, think ill take 2 days and stay in hotel Terra Nova.

You must have had your porridge in the morning :lol:
gagfax

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Great effort guys - that was some trip for a day :D but you must all be off your respective trolleys :lol: Great rainbow shot with the sun rays coming through
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:04 pm

That's an epic effort... I was looking at doing these hills in a weekend with an overnight camp; allbeit on a different route to avoid the 10 mile cycle; that's some going though to hammer that out in a day...

And well done on passing the 50% marker Dooterbang - half way there!!! 8)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby monty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:32 am

Good report Dooterbang. Your photos make it look positively sunny :lol: :lol: A walk of epic proportions. Glad to be on it with you guys some of the way :D
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:58 am

Nice one guys and great effort again. Planning on doing this round next Wednesday from the south with a cycle to Fannich Lodge and a overnight camp, weather permitting of course.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 am

Super report :D ! It must have been an exhausting day but well worth the effort. :clap: :clap:
I climbed the last two of your "chain" of 9 Munros last month and that felt long and tiring enough (even though I'm a pretty fit person). I can't even imagine tackling all nine in one long push...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ndhudson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Wow, awesome! You're all machines!!! That's one hell of a hike! :shock:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Some effort of epic proportions doots,sadly not for me,cant see any pleasure in all that accent,all they kilometers,must be getting old,need to leave all that to you young un"s.Did you manage to see if monty fancied the Mullardoch Round on Steve Fallons Blog,or is that a bit ott for even you in one day,sure would like to see you try this. :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:48 am

Gammy - i do enjoy the physical challenge but also the longer out on the hills the better for me. Hey i aint that young!!
Mullardoch? Now that would be a challenge - you just never know 8)

ndhudson - we are actually robots :D

Blackpanther - your probably just as fit. its all about mental preparation, peppered with a touch of insanity :lol:

Johhny Corbett - looking forward to your TR. Good luck.

Monty - always bright when your around mate :)

Andrew - thanks mate and well spotted. Enjoy reading your TR.

Rockhopper - oh i bet this is on your radar now, trolley boy!!

Gagfax - crunchy nut cornflakes :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Excellent report and pics, looks like you all had a good laugh.
9 in one outing, now that's a group I'd like to belong to. In my dreams maybe.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

skuk007 wrote:9 in one outing, now that's a group I'd like to belong to. In my dreams maybe.

Keep dreaming.....we all started with singles and doubles. God knows when it ends though.....a 283 munro loop!!!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Great TR and truly tremendous effort (including from a recovering Monty) - plus really great info for walking these hills - not to mention some impressive summit posing reminiscent of Clint Eastwood et al in the Good the Bad and the Ugly....argue among yourselves guys :D
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Great TR and truly tremendous effort (including from a recovering Monty) - plus really great info for walking these hills - not to mention some impressive summit posing reminiscent of Clint Eastwood et al in the Good the Bad and the Ugly....argue among yourselves guys :D

Monty is so ugly he wears a net....
P1020836.JPG

Sidewinder is real bad, he made me sleep here....
P1020833.JPG

Dooterbang is sooooo good :D :lol: 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Some day you guys --- well done, and by the sounds of it you also found time to enjoy yourselves....We were on your Munros 5,6 and 7 just 10 days ago (9th July) and had a fun time in the mists over Sgurr Clach nan Geala, the 4th of our days whilst staying up in Inverness. Incidentally we enjoyed a Chinese too that night! Cheers enjoyed your report.... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland