walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:28 am

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 16/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first walk since 30 April and I was really looking forward to getting back out into the hills although a bit apprehensive about my fitness (despite training for a 12 hour night time endurance bike ride in Sept). I had been talking to my mate TC about walking and he decided that he wanted to give it a go. Being from South Africa and having spent a lot of time in his youth camping and walking in "Big Country" he was excited about getting back out into the "wilderness" again!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We decided to head up on Friday night to camp out giving us the possibility of an early start and the option fitness/weather permitting of tackling all 5 munros in the circuit.

First mistake was not pre pitching the tent to check suitability. No the car in the picture is not a "monster truck".
20110715_02.JPG
The tent was absolutely tiny. Neither TC or I are small chaps and all we could do was hope that the rain stayed off.That was the second mistake... How could it possibly not pour down in Scotland in mid July!!!! At about 2am we were woken up by a couple of Policeman who were investigating a report of flare being seen in the area. At 4am if I had had a flare for sure I would have shot it up into sky!!!! We were absolutely drenched. Because the tent was so small we couldnt help touching the sides and this allowed the water to pour in.

Only option plan B - make a hasty retreat to the comfort of the starship voyager!! We hopped in turned the engine on and heating up full blast. Reclined the captain's chairs switched the heated seats button on and ahhhh some decent sleep at last. (I wonder if I can use the voyager as a tent on future wild camps - guess it might not make the scrambling...)

So at 0845 next morning with a light drizzle we set off on the walk from the Car park at the visitor centre
20110716_06.JPG

Unfortunately the weather was overcast most of the day so the pictures for this report arent too great.
20110716_09.JPG

Although TC hadn't done any real waking for nearly 20 years he kept up a good pace and made his first munro summit (Beinn Ghlas) at 0945. Well done TC 8
20110716_17.JPG
TC first munro Beinn Ghlas

After a short rest we set off for Ben Lawers. Thank god the cloud cover prevented us from seeing the climb ahead lol.
20110716_16.JPG
20110716_18.JPG
20110716_22.JPG

At around 300 mtrs from the summit we bumped into the first people we met all day. 3 guys on a training walk - they are doing the 3 peaks challenge next week. Good luck lads!

And then on to the summit of Ben Lawers. Although the views were very restricted the dark skies and cloud created a dramatic setting.
20110716_25.JPG
looking back to Beinn Ghlas
20110716_26.JPG
20110716_27.JPG
20110716_28.JPG
ben lawers in cloud
20110716_30.JPG
first glimpse Ben Lawers summit

After about 45 minutes we reached the summit of Ben Lawers.
20110716_33.JPG
TC munro 2
20110716_34.JPG

We had a quick bite to eat and decided that given the weather conditions we would save the climb up An Stuc for another day.

We dropped back down to Beleach and took the right path around Beinn Ghlas to avoid making a tiring and unnecessary second summit climb.
20110716_35.JPG
take the right path to avoid Beinn Ghlas
The walk back to the car park was straight forward and pretty much down hill all the way.Not sure what this peak is but it looks like a challenging climb - anyone any ideas??
20110716_40.JPG
what peak is this?

Arriving tired after 5 hours but satisfied with the days walking we decided to head into Killin for a celebratory pint and pub lunch.

Another good day out in the hills

PS Ruby sat this one out but she will be back next time - woof woof!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Could be the Tarmachan Ridge in your last picture, not 100% though.

Cracking report, I done this as part of a bigger circuit including Meall Corranich, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, An Stuc and Meall a Choire Leith back in April. The weather was very over cast but there wasn't any rain. Well done to your mate on his first two :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Cheers SUK. Will have a look at the map for the Tarmachan Ridge. It looked very steep and remote from where we were.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 pm

2dalmatians wrote:Cheers SUK. Will have a look at the map for the Tarmachan Ridge. It looked very steep and remote from where we were.

It can be climbed from the Glen Lyon road which is used to get to the car park and the demolished visitor center at the foot of Ben Lawers. Just continue on the road until you can see the dam, Im almost positive that it is signed posted. Its one that Im keeping for a crisp winters day :)

I always laugh when I hear about the path that travels up Beinn Ghlas and then onto Ben Lawers. Not because it is any easier an ascent but when my dad, his friend and myself done it coming from Meall Corranich onto Beinn Ghlas I spotted the well trodden path and said "Looks like we came up the hard way, ehh auld yin ? We could have just took the path :lol: " He responded with "Thats not a path, its a motorway" :lol:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 am

Nice report 2dalmations. I was in stitches when i saw your tent :lol: :lol: Looks a little bit misty in your photos. Unlucky. Well done though after was was definately an uncomfortable night. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:31 am

Nice one - love the size of the tent; no wonder you didn't get much sleep :lol:

On your last picture, you didn't say from where and in which direction - could it be Ben Challum which has a similar profile ?

Ben Challum.jpg
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:16 am

The tents the best laugh i've had in ages, couldn't you have both have cuddled up to each other to stop you touching the sides? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Eskimo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I did this route the day after you and I see from your pictures that weather didn't impove any. If anything it actually got worse!

Despite the weather I completed the route in what I think is a very respectable time - 3 hours 45 minutes. I think the weather might have urged me on to get it finshed and back to my car!

I was surprosed to see so many people assending as I was desending - I counted 31 people! Very popular hill but can't say it has been one of my favourites. But it's another one completed and my wee dog Jock got a decent walk.

Good luck with your endurance race!
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 pm

All, Glad we made you laugh. TC and I have not been able to live it down since getting back. The women in the family, my wife, his wife, the mothers-in law, aunts etc etc etc have all been in stitches with lots of "spooning" jokes.

Specifically -

Johnny, we had to cuddle just to get into the tent, not touching the sides was not an option. I'm 6ft 4in and 17 stone and TC is over 6ft too. Nightmare!

eskimo - 3 hrs 45mins is a good time for sure. you must have been moving at a fair clip. thanks for the good luck message

Rockhopper- I took the picture with Ben Lawers at my back and Beinn Ghlas over my left shoulder - if that helps?
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby Driftwood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:39 pm

2dalmatians asked
Not sure what this peak is but it looks like a challenging climb - anyone any ideas??

I took the picture with Ben Lawers at my back and Beinn Ghlas over my left shoulder - if that helps?

The isolated-looking pointed peak would be Meall Garbh, the second-highest top of the Tarmachan ridge. It's a secondary top to Meall nan Tarmachan, but with a narrow ridge along to that top, plus pretty steep sides, is probably the highlight of the group.

This is from a similar viewpoint (though at the end of an early June afternoon), a little higher up the path descending from Beinn Ghlas towards the NT carpark:

DSCF0536.JPG
Meall Garbh from Beinn Ghlas path

The rugged hill on the upper right-hand side is Meall nan Tarmachan, while the shoulder of Sron Dha Mhurchaidh (which leads up towards Meall Corranaich) may be visible at the front.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby alfredo143 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the report and photos. Will be doing this walk next weekend. Wont be camping though, especially in a tent that size! :lol:
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland