walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A good night's sleep above Rannoch Moor

A good night's sleep above Rannoch Moor

Postby joenorris » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Corbetts included on this walk: Cam Chreag (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 18/07/2011

Time taken: 19 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 950m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been stranded in the SE of England at Uni for the last 3 months, it was with glee that I greeted my chance to get out into the hills again. This time, however, I had two new factors to consider - an opportunity to introduce my girlfriend, Helen, to the Scottish hills and an opportunity to test out my glorious new tent. Meall Buidhe, being one of the closest unconquered Munros to home, seemed like the ideal walk for this, although it was with reluctance, perhaps, that I chose this hill - what my older brother described as "a boggy lump" - to be Helen's first experience of the Scottish summits.

We set off from the car at 4pm, having just had a few near-misses with the sheep on the road. Planning to tie in the Corbett to the East of Meall Buidhe, Cam Chreag, with the walk, we aimed for the bealach between the two hills. Here, I learnt my first lesson of the day - ALWAYS CONSULT THE UP-TO-DATE OS MAP ON WALKHIGHLANDS BEFORE PLANNING A ROUTE!! My 1987 OS map does not reveal the track to the bealach, so, unaware of it's existence, we trudged through heather and bog (probably within 200m of the path), meeting the path after about an hour! Helen attempted to console my feelings of guilt by exclaiming that "the bog is much more interesting than the path" however, after she fell in a muddy peat hag later, she went noticeably quieter about the "interesting" terrain. So it was around 6.15 that we eventually reached the Cam Chreag summit - a wee rocky outcrop on a wide ridge. This provided a perfect opportunity for Helen to sample the staple Scottish hillwalker's delicacy - what some would refer to as a black and bruised banana, but that I prefer to call a "matured" banana. After all, everyone knows that bananas improve with age, right?

Towards Meall Ghaordaidh

Highland coo

Towards Stuchd an Lochain from Cam Chreag ascent

Eating liquid banana with a spoon on Cam Chreag

E from Cam Chreag

Towards Lawers range from Cam Chreag

N from Cam Chreag

Towards Loch Rannoch

NW from Cam Chreag

Meall Ghaordaidh from Cam Chreag descent

Glen Lyon and the Lawers range

Meall Buidhe from Cam Chreag descent

After brief photo opportunities, we descended down into the shadow and the peat hags between the two hills, retracing our steps back to the bealach. From here it was a fairly short but steep ascent up onto the ridge and then to the summit. From here, we saw the first great sights of the day - incredible light formations out on Rannoch Moor and towards Glen Coe.

Having reached 8.30pm, we found a campsite SE of the Meall Buidhe summit, just off the ridge. There was a massive deer presence around, much of which I expect will be demolished in the coming stalking season. Having set up my beautiful new two-man, it was then simply a matter of settling down for some couscous and chilli and a cup of tea. (I realise couscous may be a bit of a pretentious camping food, but it was ideal as it is so quick and simple, and so delicious of course). It was a fantastic camping spot with great views. As it got darker, we could occasionally see the odd set of headlights bobbing along the A82 at the far side of the Rannoch.

The views were somewhat less impressive in the morning, however.

We got up casually - first out of the tent at 10am, ready for a stroll back down to Loch an Daimh by 11ish. I hope Helen understood, for her own sake, that this sort of clag is much more representative of Scottish hill weather than the previous night's weather is.

We took the S ridge of Meall Buidhe back down the track alongside Loch an Daimh, descending out of the cloud at around 750m. There were some good views along the Loch and across to a cloud-tipped Stuchd an Lochain, although without quite the calibre of the previous night's views.

We arrived back at the car by around 12.30 and then it was down to Killin for a pint (or a half for me, as designated driver) and some lunch. Overall, it was a fantastic trip - great views, "interesting" terrain and a relaxed pace.

Oh, and I would say that the tent passed the test!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by joenorris on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Re: A good night's sleep above Rannoch Moor

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Nice sunset shots across the moor :D

Was this Monday night? I should've stayed on the summits longer instead of retreating to the bothy at 8:30. I was on the other side of Rannoch Moor.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby joenorris » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Yup this was on Monday - I think those best shots were around 9.30-10pm. It's a shame you missed them - really quite spectacular! (And I don't think my camera really does justice to them either)
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Postby kinley » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Splendid choice of campsites 8)

That ridge along the south of Rannoch Moor has some stunning views 8)

Nice Corbett/Munro combo too - much better than the SMC smash and grab route :D 8)
kinley

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Certainly an interesting variation on the usual route Joe despite the peat hags :D Some great shots of the light through the late evening clouds
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jwramsay » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am

Excellent photos of the sunbeams over Rannoch Moor!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby benno » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Nice one wee man, glad the tent stayed up ok.
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby soulminer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Some nice shots there 8)
One of my tents is a Vango Tempest 200, heavy but stays up in all conditions- even 70mph gale,Ardmair Point :thumbup:
Cheers.
soulminer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland