walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the Colonel's bed before lunch-time!

In the Colonel's bed before lunch-time!

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 12/07/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had just finished reading Ian Murray's excellent account of the Dee and the Cairngorms and all the folklore associated with it. It was a compelling read and there were a number of areas, caves and places of interest which had piqued my curiousity for the hills I had left in this area. I had missed out on Carn Bhac before and wanted to have a look at the Colonel's bed, that had a fantastic tale behind it, before heading on to the hill proper. I was hot-footing it and therefore didn't fancy the long walk into Glen Ey so decided to replicate previous walks by getting high early in the walk. I would wholeheartedly encourage my route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was one of those balmy days, under cloud but 'warm-kind'. I fair peched along the land rover track until I saw the sign for the Colonel's bed. I had a quick look over the rim and nah, I couldnae see faraboots thon mannie micht hae bid. I then spotted a 'stair' of slippy steens and was then able to see far he'd spent mony a nicht waitin' for his wifie to bring his supplies, while he cooried in. It was an impressive site and I hope the photos of his abode give an impression of its ingenious position. I thought it was a very romantic tale, especially as it's a good 4-mile hike from Braemar, where his beloved stayed and who tried not to arouse suspicion, whereupon the Colonel would have been hanged. I urge you to read further about this.
wh1.jpg
Colonel's bed
wh2.jpg
In aboot the Colonel's bed

I re-claimed the land rover track and turned uphill at the old ruins - another indication of how people once lived in the glens as a matter of normal life. What came across beautifully in the Murray book was that life was hard in those times yet people were generally content and lived very long lives. A fair amount of whisky was drunk too by the sounds of things. In this day and age, life is 'easy' but I wonder how many people find that happiness eludes then even though they lack for nothing.

I followed the land rover track past some grouse butts and on to Carn nan Seileach, where Carn Bhac rose in the distance. I then came across a very odd thing - a helium balloon, which was nestled in the heather - it literally astounded me and I wonder how far it had travelled to get here. It also saddened me a little that man seems to do his best to spoil the world we live in. Jeezo, I was helluva melancholy yesterday it seems. Anyway, I snapped it, bagged it and continued to the bealach, whereupon I began the final ascent up on the Carn Bhac. I arrived at the cairn with views across to Iutharn Mhor and beyond but the weather didn't look great. I had a wee bite, left some nuts for the birdles then came back the way I ascended before headin' to the 'medden. A fine dinner with mither and fither awaited - an affa fine day.
wh3.jpg
You shouldna be here
wh4.jpg
A rather phallic set of stones with Bhac beyond
wh5.jpg
Over to Iutharn from summit cairn
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: In the Colonel's bed before lunch-time!

Postby gagfax » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:16 pm

Interesting looking place, i must stop by sometime.
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Very interesting report Kev. I had a very vague idea about this but didn't know it actually existed.

As for the helium balloon travelling so far, well it is of Lightning McQueen!!! :shock: (I think!)

17th century meets 21st !!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Rossco » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm

:lol: Nice report!

That is so strange though as I found a helium balloon up at the back of beinn Chabhair in Crainlarich at the weekend too! :shock: Right enough, it wasn't a Lightning McQueen one but still odd to see one as well.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby andyfitz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Interesting report Kev. Im guessing your one of those who ticked the understand / speak Scots box on the census form. Don't know anything about this story but will look it up. Being from Airdrie I'm assuming that when you say its a romantic tale this means the guy shared his carry oot with his burd at some point.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby kevsbald » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:13 am

Well Andy, seeing as my missus first introduced me to Buckfast on our first date (so classy), I am sure they shared an aperitif or two!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby alfredo143 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 pm

andyfitz wrote:Interesting report Kev. Im guessing your one of those who ticked the understand / speak Scots box on the census form. Don't know anything about this story but will look it up. Being from Airdrie I'm assuming that when you say its a romantic tale this means the guy shared his carry oot with his burd at some point.

That would be the same in Livingston speak.
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:16 am

I once knew an old lady who's family came from up Glen Ey (before they were forcibly cleared). Her family passed down the story of how the men had been out at the battle of Culloden, been defeated and had to return over snowy hills in their bare feet. As for the balloon, I once found one on Derry Cairngorm which had been released as some charity event; sponsor a balloon and who's goes furthest wins. It had some schoolkid's name on the tag. I was home on leave from a military hospital in Saudi Arabia at the time, so cunningly took the tag back to Riyadh and posted it back with a donation in Saudi Riyals. Bet the kid who sponsored that balloon got a shock! :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am

Nice photo's, would like to see this place.

Just after getting The Munro's SMC hillwalkers guide and hope they list places like this in it.

Caberfeidh genius, bualadh bos :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Rossco wrote::lol: Nice report!

That is so strange though as I found a helium balloon up at the back of beinn Chabhair in Crainlarich at the weekend too! :shock: Right enough, it wasn't a Lightning McQueen one but still odd to see one as well.

Sorry Rossco but I've had a good look at it and its definitely Lightning McQueen!!! A fiver (or your choice of helium balloon) says I'm right!!!! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland