walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh - Redrock's 100th Munro

Creag Meagaidh - Redrock's 100th Munro

Postby Redrock » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 21/07/2011

Time taken: 9.3 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1080m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having had the pleasure of accompanying Bod on his 100th Munro - along with his wife Valerie - it was now my time to have a go of making it to the century myself - and Bod and Valerie were up for keeping me company this time. So the day was set and plans were made. The only trouble was that the weather forecasts earlier in the week, for the north, did not look promising - so I had a Plan A and a Plan B! Plan A was Creag Meagaidh and it's two near neighbours and Plan B was for Ben Starav and two of it's pals. But even on the Thursday morning as we set out at 6:45am the weather forecasts were contradictory - the Met Office said the Lochaber area would be brighter than most and MWIS said it would be duller than most. But we could be sure of showers! As we approached Perth the decision was left to me! :( Finally - within minutes of the Craianlarich turnoff I finally decided it would be Plan A - Creag Meagaidh - and we headed off up the A9 with a whisky tanker leading the way! :lol:

P1070096.JPG
Heading off up the A9!

We set off from the car park at Aberarder just after 9am and soon Bod was leading us up the Coire Ardair path accompanied by Ritchie - who has a fine sense for spotting the side trails we needed to follow! :) The cloud was still covering the summits and I was wondering if I had made the right call - but we were on our way - there was no turning back! :)

P1070099.JPG
On the Coire Ardair Trail

It was Ritchie who spotted the small cairn and the trail heading for Carn Liath. Soon we were heading up a boggy path (or was it a burn?) in the direction of the wee hill of Na Cnapanan.

DSCN2201.jpg
Towards Na Cnapanan and Carn Liath (photo by Bod)

From Na Cnapanan the path become much drier and the way much more pleasant as we made good progress up the ridge towards the summit of Carn Liath.

DSCN2224.jpg
Valerie and Redrock heading up Carn Liath (photo by Bod)

On the way up the ridge we were startled by a small bird acting as if it was injured - trying to protect its nest of chicks! But it seems that the commotion attracted the attention of another feathered friend! A golden eagle appeared from round the side of the hill and performed a graceful and silent fly-by. That was a very special moment! :D

DSCN2234(C).jpg
An eagle on Carn Liath (photo by Bod)

As we climbed we were chuffed to see that the cloud was lifting ahead of us. It was a clear Munro summit by the time we reached the cairn - my 98th!

P1070113.JPG
With Bod and Valerie on Carn Laith

After a pause for refreshments it was time to move on and, wonder of wonders, the cloud had lifted off the summit plateau of Creag Meagaidh! :D I was really getting optimistic about the prospects for the weather as we headed west along the ridge towards Stob Poite Coire Ardair. 8)

P1070117.JPG
Towards Stob Poite Coire Ardair

It was a very pleasant ridge walk over a few tops and down a few dips. I checked out the tops along the way - and so did Ritchie. :D

P1070125.JPG
At a top on the way!

Valerie and I decided we needed a little arête practice as we made our way along the ridge.

DSCN2261.jpg
On the arête (photo by Bod)

There are two cairns on Stob Poite Coire Ardair but the guide books all assure me that the western one is the summit (although my GPS didn't agree!). It wasn't a greatly impressive top, so it was time for a quick photo and on with the journey! But the name sounds impressive! :lol: My 99th!

P1070142.JPG
At the summit of Stob Poite Coire Ardair

The views down to the lochan below were quite a sight to see! It was well worth the walk to get there! :)

P1070143.JPG
Lochan a Choire

But now it was time to descend to the Window and get ready to ascend Creag Meagaidh itself.

P1070145.JPG
Heading for Creag Meagaidh

We were pleasantly surprised to discover that the Window is still at 940 metres above sea level. Bod had estimated it as 937 metres from his map - but the GPS said 941m. They agreed to differ! :lol: There was a spot or two of rain as we ate lunch at the window and I was anxious to get on, as cloud was descending onto the ridge behind us, whilst Craig Meagaidh was still clear. So we began the ascent!

P1070148.JPG
Ascending towards Creag Meagaidh

Soon we were at "Mad Meg's Cairn" - that peculiar mound on the Creag Meagaidh plateau. Having studied geology I can't think of a natural explanation for this strange feature. It seemed man-made to me (but maybe ancient?). Perhaps it's an old burial mound. :shock: I've not seen anything in the literature to explain it - it's a mystery to me!

P1070153.JPG
Mad Meg's Cairn

But this was not the top of the mountain! So it was quickly onwards with the summit in sight! As I approached the cairn it looked a wee bit crowded. There were three estate workers walking towards us, having driven up the mountain in an Argocat! But they soon veered away (fearing a madman, no doubt! :lol: ) as they saw me running ahead of Bod and Valerie, heading towards my hundredth Munro summit! (Bod has a video of this strange event - which I will post if I can figure out how to do it).

DSCN2288.jpg
Approaching the cairn of Creag Meagaidh (photo by Bod)

But then I was at the cairn - I had conquered my 100th! There really was a genuine feeling of elation! :D :D :D

DSCN2304.jpg
At my 100th Munro summit - Creag Meagaidh (photo by Bod)

It was time for a little celebration at 1130 metres! So it was out with my little bottle of sparkly and a quick toast with mountain friends!

P1070168.JPG
A toast on Craig Meagaidh

By then, though, we had made a new friend. Stephen, from Austria, was having a quiet rest at the summit when all this began. Be he coped admirably and soon he was joining in too! :D We all shared another toast together - this time with Bod's Talisker! It was Stephen's first Munro but he had been up much higher mountains at home! So now we had an international party going! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSCN2300.jpg
An international toast! (photo by Bod)

Wonder of wonders - the sun actually came out and we had blue sky above us. I was really pleased to have summitted my 100th Munro on such a fine day! Stephen supplied the shortbread to complete our international gathering! :D Many thanks, Stephen, for adding to the fun. Have a great holiday in Scotland! :D

DSCN2293.jpg
Redrock with Stephen (photo by Bod)

It was time to add my stone to the cairn and take in the view! I'm sure the stone will be gone by now - but hey! :lol:

DSCN2309.jpg
Redrock's stone on the cairn! (photo by Bod)

On the way back Bod and Valerie (and Ritchie) found a viewpoint to admire Coire Ardair from above.

P1070188.JPG
Bod and Valerie (with Ritchie) above Coire Ardair

The descent down from the Window was rocky - to say the least! :)

DSCN2342.jpg
Rocky Descent from the Window (photo by Bod)

But it was worth it to spend a little while at Lochan a Choire in Coire Ardair! We do like our refreshment stops, don't we! :lol:

P1070206.JPG
Bod and Valerie at Lochan a Choire

I had reached my 100th Munro - it was a great feeling! And it was even better because the weather had stayed fair for us all of the day - the waterproofs had remained in the rucksacks all the time - even though we had seen showers come and go around us! And we had been at three cloud-free summits - even though they had all been in the cloud at different times as we had made our way round the circuit. We really felt blessed! It was great to share my Munro No. 100 with good friends Bod and Valerie (and I mustn't forget Ritchie - our pathfinder! :D ) And many thanks, Bod, for sharing your photos!

Okay, it has taken me almost 35 years to get this far (I climbed Ben Nevis - my first Munro - in September 1976) but I've climbed 29 so far this year, so I'm on my way. 100 was my target to complete by the end of 2011 - so I'm happy with progress so far! 8)

The walk itself was brilliant with a good mix of climb, ridge walk and high plateau! Creag Meagaidh is an impressive and mysterious mountain with a great deal of character.

P1070211.JPG
The mysterious Coire Ardair

It was a great walk and a great day! Now I have only 183 Munros left to do! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Redrock on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Creag Meagaidh - Redrock's 100th Munro

Postby Jabber » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Well done on your Hundredth. Great catch with the eagle still my ambition see one in the wild! :D
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby pigeon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Well done on getting to the ton redrock ,looks like you made a good choice of route :clap:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Congratulations redrock - well done ! :clap: :clap: Looks like you all had a great day - and the weather cleared with sun/blue sky appearing just in time :D

Love the "arete practice" and well done on getting the eagle photo :thumbup:

You mentioned Mad Meg's Cairn. Not sure if this is right or not but there's a legend that it marks the grave of a suicide in the 1700's - the church wouldn't let the woman be buried in the graveyard so her family buried her up on Creag Meagaidh.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Well done Redrock, it was a joy to share your special day! It was an eventful and fun day that we will always remember. Here's to the next few dozen munros and maybe even a wee magic Corbett or two! (I noticed you seem to have developed a wee taste for my Talisker....) :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Redrock » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks Guys,

It is a great feeling getting to the 100 - as some of you know! All the credit goes to Bod for the eagle photo, by the way! :D I stood spellbound watching it sail by - but Bod had his camera at the ready! It was quite a sight! :D

Interesting about Mad Meg's cairn, Rockhopper. It certainly sounds a likely explanation given how it looks and the history of the 1700s. It must have been some task for a grieving family to build it up there!

Your Talisker's safe with me, Bod. I'll have another nip when I reach 200! :lol: And another at 283 (or whatever the number is then!) :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, and I might fit a Corbett in now and then too! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 am

A great report - congratulations on reaching your 100th :thumbup:

I think the eagle did the flypast to make it a special day for you
morag1

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:19 am

Well done on reaching your 100th munro redrock :clap: :clap: :clap: ,looks like you all had some party at the top.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Redrock » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:26 pm

morag1 wrote: I think the eagle did the flypast to make it a special day for you

Thanks Morag - the eagle certainly added to the special feel of the occasion. A special guest appearance, Eh! :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Well done on reaching your 100th munro redrock :clap: :clap: :clap: ,looks like you all had some party at the top.

Munro Summit's are good places for parties, GLW. There's always something to celebrate! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm

congrats on reaching treble figures - it sure does feel good :D

Great hills to do them on, and you got splendid views.

Heres to your next 100 :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby monty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Good walk. well done to the three of you. The weather looked excellent. We got no views so we certainly missed out. Congrats Redrock on reaching the ton :D
monty

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Congratulations on the 100th! What a fantastic mountain to celebrate the ton :D :D We climbed this trio clockwise, visiting Coire Ardair first and climbing up the Window, but I guess it's a lovely walk regardless of direction.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Redrock » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:43 pm

dooterbang wrote:congrats on reaching treble figures - it sure does feel good :D

Great hills to do them on, and you got splendid views.

Heres to your next 100 :D

monty wrote:Good walk. well done to the three of you. The weather looked excellent. We got no views so we certainly missed out. Congrats Redrock on reaching the ton :D

BlackPanther wrote:Congratulations on the 100th! What a fantastic mountain to celebrate the ton :D :D We climbed this trio clockwise, visiting Coire Ardair first and climbing up the Window, but I guess it's a lovely walk regardless of direction.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. The way the weather worked out was amazingly good! :D And the anticlockwise direction actually kept us in the best of weather. But the main reason we did the circuit anticlockwise, Black Panther, was so that we would be working up to Creag Meagaidh making the highest peak of the day my number 100! :D I had planned to climb these three last September on my own but the cloud was so heavy over the ridge that I decided to head for Beinn a' Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach instead (still in cloud!) - so this was a really good return visit! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby gagfax » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Well done on getting to your 100th Munro, did it myself recently and its a great feeling. Only 183 left :shock:
gagfax

Postby redrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Um...182 left if you've done 100...
redrook

Munros:137   Corbetts:19
Fionas:2   Donalds:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland