walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 30/06/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1278m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Vorlich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I managed to have a little lie in this morning as I wasn't expecting too long a day. I drove to the south shore of Loch Earn and managed to drive right past the start point at Ardvorlich House. It is right by the hump-back bridge with the 10mph signs for anyone else starting from here.

Started around 08:40 taking the well signposted route through the grounds of Ardvorlich House to the good path at the start of the ascent to Ben Vorlich. Great views of the mountain.
Vorlich1089.jpg
Today's target

Vorlich1091.jpg
A bit closer

I got to the bridge over the Allt a'Choire Buidhe about 40 minutes later. There were a few clouds around and sure enough about two thirds of the way up I had to pull out the waterproofs when a heavy shower came my way. It didn't last long and after it had cleared away I came to a bit in the path were I could see another path to my right coming round the NW side of Ben Vorlich to this main path. This was around 629198 according to my GPS. I would remember this for the return journey. My intended return route was to cross the slopes back to this main path from just before Ben Our, but this path would make things easier.
Vorlich1093.jpg
Looking back down towards the Loch

I got to the summit at 10:40 and now had a fair bit of blue sky and great views in every direction. I had been looking forward to this mountain as I'd read plenty of reports on it, and it took my percentage of Munros completed into double figures.
Vorlich1094.jpg
Summit

I wish someone would remove the rusty old fence post by the trig point, spoils a good photo so it does.
Vorlich1094_1.jpg
That's better!!

After a few snaps I walked along to the cairn from the trig point then eyed up the infamous scramble up the prow of Stuc a'Chroin. I have looked at lots of photos of this one and all the way down from Ben Vorlich I was checking it out and I thought I could make out the way the path went. I was getting a bit nervous now.
Vorlich1097.jpg
The scary prow

Vorlich1098.jpg
Even scarier

After carefully negotiating the descent from Ben Vorlich I was down by 11:15 and ready to tackle the scramble. The path wasn't as visible from down here but I stuck to the main path I was on which went over to the left before reaching the bouldery section. I tend to get a rush of adrenalin at these points and jump straight in but I kept telling myself to slow down and not do anything stupid. I had loads of time and the weather was perfect. Whenever I thought I'd lost the path I'd just have a look round and easily picked it up again. From it's starting point over on the left it made a definite traverse acoss to the right as it went up. Much further right than I expected. At no point did I feel exposed and if I'm honest I'd say I hardly had to put hands on rock at all. Even taking my time it wasn't long before I was at the top, 11:55.

I was glad I did the scramble and no doubt in wind and rain it would have been a lot harder but thinking back now from the safety of my home I would have to say I think the scramble up from Stob Coire nan Lochan up to Bidean I did in Glencoe last year was more hands on than this one.

I reached the proper top of Stuc a'Chroin by 12:05, and went to both cairns just in case. After a spot of lunch I had time to relax as the sun was out now and it was getting warmer.
Vorlich1101.jpg
Stuc a'Chroin, with the prow and Ben Vorlich

Vorlich1102.jpg
Looking over Lochan a'Chroin and beyond

I had to get going at some point so half an hour later I decided to head for the steep scree path which is the alternative route up Stuc a'Chroin. It was quite steep and loose in places so care was needed. Once I was down it was simply a matter of following the faint boggy path which follows the contours of the hill to the flat area near the NW ridge of Ben Vorlich. This was were I picked up the beginning of the path I saw earlier in the day. Again it more or less follows the contours of the Coire and I reached the main Ben Vorlich path again at 13:50.

I met one walker and her dog who were just on their way up Ben Vorlich. After a brief chat it was simply a matter of retracing my steps back to the car which I reached at 14:50. I was pleased with my walk today and had plenty of time to klill so I spent some time by Loch Earn just sitting by the water, in the sunshine, drinking in the views, listening to some music, eating Sports Mixtures. Glorious.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OizCzrmBpXw[/youtube]
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

Postby sonic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:25 pm

That looked a cracking walk and some really good photos. Really liked the video as well, you picked the music for it perfectly
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:09 am

You've certainly had a busy week skuk - another nice report :D Great views in the photos - this was my second munro (nearly 25 years ago) but didn't go on to Stuc a'Chroin that day as it was winter and we weren't sure we could manage it but finally got round to it last Autumn and really enjoyed it - your report brings back memories 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby skuk007 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 am

rockhopper wrote:You've certainly had a busy week skuk

Don't get up north very often :( so have to make the most of it when I do. Only two more reports to come. :)

rockhopper wrote:...your report brings back memories

25 years sounds a long time ago but I'm sure it doesn't feel that long. I enjoy looking at other peoples photos too and remembering the ones I've done.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland