walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Time to hang my boots up...

Time to hang my boots up...

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 23/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.1 km

Ascent: 1265m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After ten good years of service... My boots are dead... This year alone they've taken me 500 km over 51 munros and 3 Hewitts with as near as makes no difference 30 km of ascent... They've never given me a blister; nor grief of any kind. IN their lifetime, they've done 114 munros; the Inca Trail and a lot of the Lake District for good measure... How I wish I'd bought two pairs... My La Sportiva's - you have served me well - I salute you...

DSCN0369.JPG

Buying new boots has taken me a long time; mainly because I didn't want new boots... But needs must... So the choices; I started with La Sportvia; well why wouldn't I; I'm a brand whore; always have been... Sadly they seem to have trudged off into the Himilayan market, and their latest offering, the Karakorum isn't sold in the UK. Boo to that... All of which led me to the Scarpa Manta... So here's to hoping they hold up for ten years and give me no aggravaaaashun...

DSCN0368.JPG

Anyway; the walk... I figured I'd best pick something easy... Two reasons for that; 1) the new boots, and 2) I'm planning on the Strathfarrar four tomorrow so no need to kill myself today! And what a day for it; I think the best day of the summer... The Ben Cruachan Hills provide the main interest at the start of the walk...

DSCN0370.JPG

The first couple of kilometres are straight up a bulldozed track as you gain a height of about 400 metres. The first target; Beinn a'Chochuill opens up before you with the sight of what looks to be a fairly a long punishing ascent...

DSCN0371.JPG

As you gain height the views over to Ben Cruachan get better and better and prove the main interest of the ascent...

DSCN0372.JPG

Ben Cruachan.jpg

The ascent isn't too bad, and before you know it you've topped out on the main ridge, and ifrom there you can see it's just a short hop along the ridge to the summit...

DSCN0380.JPG

The views from the summit were spectacular with Loch Etive laid bare before me; I guess the views anywhere in Scotland on a day like today would be. I could see all the way to Rhum some 70 miles away. Not bad!!

Ben Cruachan 2.jpg

The ridge over to Beinn Eunaich looks easy enough mainly along grassy looking slopes though you do lose a fair amount of height as you drop back down to 750 metres. No matter, it's a pleasant walk taking in the scenery...

DSCN0399.JPG

The best of the views are on the left as you walk along the ridge; and stretch as far as Ben Nevis, and further where the big thing isn't blocking the view...

The View North.jpg

The ascent to Beinn Eunaich is over before you know it; just a short quick pull to the summit from the beallach...

DSCN0406.JPG

The views remain stunning; and there is plenty of space on a grassy plateau with a large cairn to just relax... The view behind back along the ridge...

DSCN0411.JPG

I did feel a bit mean as a fine sound opened my lunch. I think everyone at the summit wanted my lunch; but still if people can't prepare properly, that's hardly my fault... :lol: :lol: Still cold too; surprising how things stay cold in a rucksack, but all good news...

DSCN0421.JPG

Of course, I was a little hungry too so the full course included some Pastrami...

DSCN0420.JPG

The view to the north is dominated by Ben Nevis; and the day simply couldn't be better...

DSCN0423.JPG

From left to right, the blue of Loch Etive balances against the sky and the green of the mountains; I just sit there; drinking my beer and watching the view...

The View North 2.jpg

Me on the summit...

DSCN0442.JPG

The walk down is easy enough mainly on pleasant grassy slopes; though it steepens appreciably for the final descent to the track which will take you back to your car...

DSCN0455.JPG

The Stats; will upload the route later...

DSCN0458.JPG

2011 - 07 - 23 - Beinn Eunaich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Time to hang my boots up...

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Great report Andrew and cracking photos! I've noticed that you always seem to get your fair share of fantastic views :lol: :lol:

PS Don't forget to give the boots a decent funeral!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Fantastic report Andrew and stunning pics as always. It's a sickener when the boots die, particularly when they are so well worn that they are like slippers.....but its a hell of an excuse to get out there more often to 'break in' the new ones :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby victoriajarrett » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Loving the green fleece Mr D :) xxx
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby snodland » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:13 am

Maybe I am just reckless or unlucky but 10 years is an eternity for boots to last in my experience - congratulations. Oh and commisserations because the end of one pair of boots means that thing I hate above all else - SHOPPING.(for anything)
Perhaps I should adopt your Brand Junkie attitude and just get on line!

Excellent to see Ben Nevis so dominant in your photos from where you were. I was on Meall a Bhuidiudh/Creise today and it was so in your face. We could actually pick out Skye and I did get some photos of Ben Cruachan with presumably "Cockle and Eunuch" in front so you may be a speck on my pics

Enjoyed your pics and the report
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 am

pollyh33 wrote:I've noticed that you always seem to get your fair share of fantastic views :lol: :lol:

mwis.org.uk to thank for that; I follow the sunshine :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:24 am

I'm happy if boots last me 9 months. :)
foggieclimber

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland