walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Glen Way

Great Glen Way

Postby Grum » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:48 am

Route description: Great Glen Way

Date walked: 18/07/2011

Time taken: 5 days

Distance: 73 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I completed the Great Glen Way yesterday in 5 days, a great experience.
My first stop was Clunes, 16 miles or so from Ft.William, no pub, shop or amenitys and wild camped under trees with a beautiful view of Loch Lochy on the lochside.
The next day we planned to climb Meall na Teanga and Sron a' Choire Ghairbh but bad weather and realising we would going back on ourselves, we abandonned it and walked on to Laggan via the stunning Kilfinnen. We re-planned our journey in the Eagle Barge pub/resturant, that evening we walked to North Laggan and found a wild campsite opposite the GGW path near the swing bridge. The first screeming fighter jets skimming tree tops made me roll into a ball but we got used to it.
The next day we would be reaching Ft.Augustus, a gorgeous sunny day, quite uneventful but a good walk, choosing what kind of boat we'd see and buy if we won the lotto.
Ft.Augustus to Dumnadrochit much the same but what a lovely place Drumnadrochit is, I wanted to stay longer but we moved on to the worst part of the trek for me, I would like to know what others think but I feel walking in a forest to Inverness was an anticlimax, why would you ignore the famous Loch Ness? I could have just walked in Pollok Park in amoungst trees for a day, but in saying that I wouldnt have camped at the notorious Abriachan, overall superb!
Grum
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes