walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just The Forcan Ridge, the Saddle + Sgurr na Sgine.

Just The Forcan Ridge, the Saddle + Sgurr na Sgine.

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 24/07/2011

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was thinking I might complete the Forcan Ridge & Saddle, Sgurr na Sgine and the South Glen Shiel Ridge all in a wannie. Who was I kidding?!

I left work at the earliest chance on Friday – 12 noon but had to be home by early evening on Saturday. I dilly dallied on Friday night (which I don’t regret) and after a poor night’s sleep on the mountain found I just didn’t have the energy.

So here’s how it went…..

Set off from the lay-by at Achnagart about 4:15pm. Almost immediately super views started to open up – particularly up Glen Shiel and over to the Kintail ridge and the five sisters.
DSCF1228.JPG
Looking back up Glen Shiel

DSCF1229.JPG
The Kintail Ridge

DSCF1227.JPG
Faochag

My 1st try at the “panorama” function on my camera – 3 shots stitched together. Not sure I like it but here you are…..

DSCF1231.JPG

I dawdled on and by 7pm I was only at the bottom of the ridge and already starting to think I should curtail my (overly) ambitious plans.

DSCF1241.JPG
About to start the ridge proper

DSCF1244.JPG

But I plodded on. I made slow progress but had super fun – taking in most of the good scrambling & only occasionally having to take the easy route. My heavily laden rucksack made me a bit too cumbersome for some of the scrambling involved. I resolved in my head to come back another fine day with a minimalist pack.

DSCF1251.JPG
The way ahead

DSCF1253.JPG

I eventually reached the top at just past 8PM and moved over to the trig point just beyond the summit.
DSCF1259.JPG
On the summit of The Saddle

DSCF1261.JPG
At the trig point on "The Saddle"

Mist and cloud started to move in from the north but it didn’t last long.

DSCF1265.JPG

Looking south to the Knoydart area it seemed determinedly sunny and bright.

DSCF1266.JPG

Almost 9pm now – time to set up my happy home.

DSCF1269.JPG
Fancy a brew?

DSCF1280.JPG
Just the most beautiful sight

DSCF1286.JPG
The Cuilin Ridge of Skye

Supper was to have been a delight - Spag Bol ( albeit reheated in a mess tin), cheese and biccies & a wee 175ml bottle of plonk.

Disappointment No 1: The wine was absolutely ghastly! Avoid Louis Felipe Edwards Merlot at all costs – it tastes like an industrial cleaning product. Yeuch!

However, the views made up for it as you can see…..

DSCF1290.JPG
Cheers

DSCF1305.JPG
Another "Panorama" view

DSCF1297.JPG
The Cuilin Ridge and sunset like wot I've never seen!

Disappointment No 2: My airbed either had a puncture or a faulty valve & in fact I slept (very badly) on hard ground.
Woke up at 4am needing a pee. But first got the camera out to take a snap of this.....

DSCF1314.JPG
Looking kinda south-ish. It's hard to tell in the dark.

The photo doesn’t really do it justice but it was wonderful sight.

The next thing to scupper my plans was this. I had fully expected to wake up naturally about 6am and be well on the road to the next mountain by 7 am at the latest. In fact after my 4am pee the next thing I knew it was 8:30! This was the sight which greeted me when I opened the tent…..

DSCF1316.JPG
Good morning world!

So I decided then to abandon the South Glen Shiel Ridge, do Sgurr na Sgine and call it a day. I made an unhurried start which gave the mist time to clear. The rest of the day turned out lovely. Here are the best of the photos from Sgurr na Sgine.

DSCF1322.JPG
Forcan Ridge & Saddle from summit of Sgurr na Sgine

DSCF1327.JPG

Disappointment No 3: The spare camera batteries I’d installed at bed time ran out! Take a tip from me – don’t buy AA batteries at 12 in a pack from Poundland! No more pictures from here on in I'm afraid.

Three very minor dizzies in an otherwise phantasmagorical trip. This camping out on a mountain top to see the sunset is truly great – try it!

Yours sincerely,
A weary but very happy chappie.

A
x
Last edited by EACHANN AN DOIRE on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Just The Forcan Ridge, the Saddle + Sgurr na Sgine.

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am

Well done.....camping up there looked fantastic, pity your wee glass of vino didn't match the occasion :lol:
It would have been tough carrying more gear over the ground, but the evening sunsets in the comfort of your tent obviously were special. Heading up this way too later this year, all going to plan.... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:47 am

Never mind not having the energy - that looked worthwhile just for the atmosphere 8) . Great photos and probably very enjoyable once you realise you don't have to stick to the original plan and can take it easy instead!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby monty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

Nice report. Great camping trip and bagged two munros. Don't worry about the big plan. There's always another day. :D
monty

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

Wow to those sunset shots!

Worth the disdappointments to get those and the South Glenshiel ridge ain't going anywhere!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Great report and some stunning pictures - I hope to be able to do this wild camping one day - this is why. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gordon l » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:26 pm

A brilliant report there. looks like you had the place to yourself. having done the south glen shiel ridge a few months ago, really looking forward to heading up the Saddle.
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby pruney84 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Cracking report and photo's, really enjoyed reading it, well done!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland