walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain - a wee cracker

Beinn an Lochain - a wee cracker

Postby maryhillmoose » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After sitting around for a week reminiscing about our great trip to the Swiss Alps we agreed we needed to snap out of it...if you cant have this...
112.JPG

then the next best thing is this...
053.JPG

We didnt want to drive for hours so opted for Beinn and Lochan, setting off at 8.30am it was easy to find the correct lay-by just a few mins beyond the Rest and Be Thankful car park, and we were on the hill at 9.45am. Slightly boggy ground initially but soon this gave way to a well defined, steep and sometimes scrambly path edging upwards towards the first of several rocky outcrops that are reached along the ridge ascent...
019.JPG

As you gain height and scramble up each steep little hump in the ridge wonderful views open out back towards the Rest and Be Thankful and over to Loch Fyne...
033.JPG

038.JPG

The path is steep but has lots of character, little scrambly sections and great views of the ridge ahead which at times looked pretty seriously steep...
030.JPG
spot the moon just above the ridge?

036.JPG

Eventually a little dip in the ridge is reached to give a few mins relief then its onwards and upwards again for the final section to the summit...
040.JPG

048.JPG

A few mins later the summit is reached, a large cairn marks the end of this wee smasher...
050.JPG

and views, views, views...
052.JPG

055.JPG

A nice sheltered spot just below the cairn to the left was perfect for an early lunch, it was only 11.30 but we had earned it!
For a slight variation on the descent we carried on along the ridge and dropped down over another rocky outcrop...
056.JPG

Just below this a very faint path doubles back across the slopes below the ridge, meanders around the hillside and rejoins the ridge at a little lochan, its only a 15 min detour but cuts out a little of the descent back down from the cairn. The descent was bit tough on the knees and I was glad I had my poles for once! less than an hour later and we were back at the stream next to the lay-by, not before I had squelched up to my ankles in a sneakily hidden bog pool... in conclusion Swiss was Bliss but you cant argue with them there hills right on your doorstep...if only it was sunny every weekend 8)
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn an Lochain - a wee cracker

Postby Del246 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Great timing, im going to do this hill during the week. Great pics to. Well done.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby maryhillmoose » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:45 am

Del246 wrote:Great timing, im going to do this hill during the week. Great pics to. Well done.

Hope you get as nice a day as we did!
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Certainly better views than we got 2 weeks ago :lol:

We were just a few km south of you - certainly was a cracking day. 8)

Cheers - now I know what I missed :)
kinley

Postby JTweedie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:17 pm

I love this hill, and found a couple of sections to be a bit airy when the wind was blowing. Feels a lot higher than it is too.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3

Postby Del246 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Did this hill today, in a heat wave !! A superb hill !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby maryhillmoose » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Del246 wrote:Did this hill today, in a heat wave !! A superb hill !!

bet you had excellent views!
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Postby Del246 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 pm

I did, stunning views. I put them on Facebook but didn't do a report as it would be the same as yours !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 pm

The last few days have certainly been the days to be out, lovely pictures in the clear blue sky.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland