walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil

Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil

Postby Les Stuart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Route description: Ben Alder and Beinn Bheòil from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder

Date walked: 25/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had camped overnight at Culra and after a good nights sleep I left the tent at 9am and headed back towards the bridge, crossed it, then set off towards Ben Alder.
IMG_4929_edited-1.jpg
Long Leachas

The mist was well down and I was hoping that as the morning wore on the cloud and mist would lift. Followed the path for several Kilometres then picked the path to head over to the Long Leachas to begin the ascent of Ben Alder. Reached the lower part of Leachas and as I gained height the mist was slowly lifting and could see where I was going. The last steep area had several scrambling sections and I wondered if I could have done the Lancet Edge the previous day as I was feeling comfortable on the ridge.
IMG_4930_edited-1.jpg
Summit Plateau

IMG_4931_edited-1.jpg
Ben Alder Summit

At the top of the Leachas you come out onto the summit plateau and walk about 1and half Km to reach the summit cairn. The clouds had not lifted as high as the previous day and mist was still floating in and out.
IMG_4932_edited-1.jpg
Loch a Bhealaich Bheithe

IMG_4934_edited-1.jpg
South end of Loch Ericht

After a break I then headed along the rim of the Garbh Choire for about 2km then down steep ground to reach Bealach Breabag. From there I headed north east to Sron na h-Iolaire then north to Beinn Bheoil.
IMG_4935_edited-1.jpg
Beinn Bheoil

IMG_4937_edited-1.jpg
North end of Loch Ericht

Good views looking north to Loch Ericht. From here I could see that it was raining further south and with the clouds lower it might be heading my way.
I followed the ridge north for about 2km, then dropped down to pick the path up to take me back to Culra. Got back to the tent about 3pm and it began to rain though not for long.
IMG_4938_edited-1.jpg
Tent

Packed my gear up and took tent down, then cycled back out to Dalwhinnie and was home in the Glasgow area for 8pm. A really good two days and a warm up for when I go to do the Fisherfield six.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland