walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Devil's Point

The Devil's Point

Postby LongRanger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: The Devil's Point

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 32 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a break from the hills of over thirty years I decided to make a slow comeback after a trial walk up Mount Keen with my old walking buddies. My plans were a bit ambitious; a round of The Devil's Point, Cairn Toul, Angel's Peak and Monadh Mhor. The original plan had been to tackle this in mid/late May but the weather was not looking good on the planned weekend (late blizzards and gales; not that rare in the Cairngorms really) so after a three week delay I set off for Braemar early (0600) on Friday 17th June. Set off from the car park at 0905, with fine weather in prospect for the morning at least. It took a while to walk in to the Corrour Bothy, too much gear in my pack I guess. The walk was very pleasant though and I could feel the years rolling back. Found the bothy in good order, much better than the last visit all those years ago. Sadly the weather turned cloudy and wet while I ate lunch at the bothy. Time to re-assess my plans. I figured the Devil's Point was going to have to go and be my main and only, as it turned, out target. It was a real slog with a heavy sack (planned high level bivvy) but the misty view from the top was worth it. The cloud, wind and rain were making for unpleasant conditions and a quick chat with a fellow climber (who'd just spent the past two hours struggling back from Baeriach) at the bealach above the bothy convinced me that on this occasion discretion was called for. Descending to the bothy where I thought I might now spend the night was easy enough but the bothy had now filled up so there was nothing much else for it but to walk back out. I was back at my car in the Linn o' Dee car park by 11pm having passed a few intrepid souls on their way in. By 2am I was back home. Getting out of the car I felt I was walking like a crippled gorilla. Luckily after a hot bath and a good night's sleep I was almost back to normal.
Now I know this is a long tale for such a small outcome but I hope a few folks out there who think they've hung up their boots might just take heart and get the boots out of garden shed, dust them off and go for it. Personally I can't wait for my next trip. :D
LongRanger
Stravaiging

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:8   

Re: The Devil's Point

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Nice to hear you're getting back out there again Loneranger, after a wee break. Does sound like a long trip to be doing though, sure you'll bag them next time.
:)
Oh, and anything that's been in my garden shed for more than 3 months belongs to the spiders.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland