walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sron na Creise-straight up

Sron na Creise-straight up

Postby ridgerunner » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1014m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sncreise.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having once climbed Creise by the north-east ridge of Stob a Ghlais Choire , i have always been keen to try a direct ascent , up the Sron na Creise as the scrambling gets a good report.
So rather than start from the White Corries ski lift area , parked at the bridge over river coupal in Glen Etive.
Got a great view of the sron driving west but i didnt have my camera to hand so took it on return route.
P1000202.JPG

Walked out the back of the small carpark and followed the path down to the conference of the two rivers and crossed without getting my feet wet and followed the faint path that led to the base of the Sron..It then petered out and i just made uphill.
I've included below a rough line of ascent.
src2.JPG
Black line showing route taken
There are lots of different ways up this ridge.
You can keep to steep grass slopes or scree gullies or scramble up the rocky buttresses; and even they have lots of different grades of scrambling. I followed the route as suggested in "scrambles in lochaber" which searches out the best scrambling.
There is an easy scramble onto the first buttress , just left of centre..

P1000188.JPG

View down to road in glen etive.
P1000189.JPG

The buttress i have just come up is on the left, and i am about to cross over and start the one in the right of the picture.
P1000190.JPG

Looking uphill from roughly the same point ; and you can see the optional grassy central gully.
P1000191.JPG

Even more choices from here until the top is reached.
P1000193.JPG

Looking back at Sron na Creise from Stob a Ghlais Choire.
P1000199.JPG

It had taken about 2hours to get to the top of the Sron because of investigating all the scrambling , so rather than an anticlockwise circuit to include Meall a Bhuiridh which i had done before, i decided to shorten the walk and headed to the right into Fionn Ghleann . As the stream was low low it was possible to walk down the flat dry rocky river bed in many places.
P1000200.JPG

The walk back up to the car gave me plenty of time to look at the Buachaille and its easier to pick out Curved Ridge from here.
A great day out and definitely want to do again as i am sure i missed some of the good scrambling available.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Sron na Creise-straight up

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks for that. This is definitely how I will be tackling Creise! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Steve B » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:52 am

Good report. I have been looking at the 2 scrambles mentioned in the same book but was put off this one. Looks OK though. Useful pictures. Thanks
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 am

Nice one.

Must give this a go.

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby gagfax » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 am

When i did Creise i left the last top and promised myself i would only do it if i scrambled up. Still not done it :lol:
gagfax

Postby royser69 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Great post. Me and my mate followed your route 2 weekends ago and had a great time. Great scrambling on, mostly dry rock with a couple of really exposed pitches but survived! Hazy sunshine all the way up and clear summit with a warm, gentle breeze, made for a cracking lunch. We continued over the ridge to Meall a Bhuiridh and yomped back to Glen Etive before a midge infested river crossing. Magic day out.
royser69
Rambler

Munros:101   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:10 am

Great report. Now on my to do list.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby AJ01 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am

Very helpful report and just what I have been looking for, as this would be my preferred route up Creise. I guess the ease of the river crossing depends on rainfall in the previous few weeks, and this walk must have been done when it was very dry. Thanks for posting. :)
Angus J.
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland