walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A good weekend to be in the hills 1

A good weekend to be in the hills 1

Postby Steve B » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 25/07/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Ascent: 1180m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A free weekend and a bit jet lagged so I figured the best way to get rid of it would be a couple of days in the hills.
After a bacon roll at the Green Welly I managed to park, only a few places even at a reasonably early start and got going at about 09:00.
There was a group of 3 guys starting as I got there with 2 of the fittest dogs I have seen, a chocolate Lab and a Rottweiler.
1 - Start of the walk.JPG

2 - Looking over to Ben Cruachan.JPG

It was quite warm already but the views were good from the start. It is a pull all the way up that the good track makes easier and the breaking off up the slope to the ridge before Beinn a' Chochuill.
3 - Looking back to the start.JPG

4 - Kilchurn castle.JPG

The climb up the slope was not too taxing with frequent stops to admire the views.
5 - Down the glen from halfway up the climb.JPG

6 - Ben Cruachan starts to come into view.JPG

The views across to Ben Cruachan got better and better, it looked a bit like the Dolomites. I thought it was a pointy hill when I was on top of it many years ago but had not realised quite now much!
7 - Ben Cruachan from the summit.JPG

Once at the top the views were amazing. You could see Ben More on Mull, across to the Cuillins on Skye, the Etive hills and the Ben. Had to linger a while to take it all in.
8 - Summit and view.JPG

The people with the dogs appeared from the bealach between this summit and Ben Cruachan!
Set off back along the ridge and up to Beinn Eunaich, the day was getting hotter so a few more frequent stops, justified by the views I told myself.
9 - Looking up to Beinn Euniach.JPG

10 - Back towards Beinn a' Chochuill.JPG

11 - The ridge to Beinn a' Chochuill and Ben Cruachan.JPG

Once at the top the Jetboil was fired up for the Redbush Tea and a pasty was consumed avidly.
12 - The Crianlarich Munros.JPG

13 - From the summit of Beinn Eunaich to the first summit.JPG

14 - Ben Starav and the Ben in the distance.JPG

Then followed the walk down the ridge to the start and a very steep descent to the track.
15 - Looking down the descent to Loch Awe.JPG

16 - The steep start to the final descent.JPG

Arriving back at the car not feeling too tired it was off to Fort William, find a B and B and dinner to prepare for the next day...
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Re: A good weekend to be in the hills 1

Postby kev_russ » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:53 pm

nice report and pics there steve :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby alfredo143 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice report. Looked like goodweather. :)
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Vidiprinter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:02 pm

So that's what those hills look like. Couldn't see a thing when I was there. Great pictures, might have to them again on better day.
Vidiprinter
Hill Bagger

Munros:81   
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland