walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A good weekend to be in the hills 2

A good weekend to be in the hills 2

Postby Steve B » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:12 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a good day at the top of Loch Awe yesterday and fuelled by a good dinner in fort William and an early night I was ready for a longer day.
Parked up at the layby by the bridge, some people were off already, and was off at 09:15.
1 - Start of walk 1.JPG

2 - Start of walk 2.JPG

Walking with intent I walked straight past the first turn through the gate and wandered past the cottage.. Doh!!That does not bode well for the day.
Anyway I quickly corrected my mistake and got chased by an irate spaniel for my troubles to boot.
A brisk walk followed along the track with an intense interest in the correct turns and arrived at Lochan na h-Earba. I had seen the pictures on this site but the place is glorious, a place for a wild swim I think for some point in the future. Today however there were some Munros to do.
3 - Arriving at Lochan na h-Earba.JPG

4 - Looking up to Beinn a' Chlachair.JPG

5 - Lochan na h-Earba.JPG

I continued up along the stalkers path and decided to get level with the Allt that runs down the slope up to the top of the Coire Mor a' Chlachair as I would gain height on a decent path before heading across the peat and heather.
6 - View on walk 1.JPG

7 - View on walk 2.JPG

8 - Getting closer to the first objective.JPG

As it turned out it was so dry everywhere that it did not matter so much but the vlevel walk before the slope saved a bit of energy I think.
A straightforward climb up and then onto the rocky rim of the Coire and then the summit.
9 - Looking down Coire Mor Chlachair past the lochan to the start.JPG

10 - Around the Coire to the summit.JPG

There were great views all around and Munro 2 and 3 could be clearly seen. Creag Pitridh looked very small compared to where I was stood and with Gael Charn next to it.
11 - From the summit to the next 2 munros.JPG

12 - Schiehallion.JPG

A compeed was applied to an embryonic blister and some fuel taken on board before heading along the ridge towards Gael Charn.
13 - Leaving the summit.JPG

14 - Looking back up the ridge.JPG

I did not find and kind of path at the end of the ridge and an easy scramble down the end had me at the bealach in no time.
15 - The end pf the ridge from Beinn a' Chlachair.JPG

An easier than expected ascent of Gael Charn followed with the cairn appearing in the distance looking a little odd in the landscape.
16 - The summit of Geal Charn comes into view.JPG

On arrival the breeze had picked up so sat in the lee of the cairn and had my usual brew and food whilst admiring the world around me. It is days, and weekends, like this that make up for the times when you are pleased to see further than 30 metres.
17 - Back to the first summit.JPG

18 - What is that other one for.JPG

19 - Obligatory summit shot.JPG

20 - Creag Meagaidh.JPG

22 - Back to the first summit.JPG

Refreshed to a degree I then heading directly to the bealach between here and Creag Pitridh and an easy pull on to the top. I was still surprised at this being a Munro.
23 - Creag Pitridh and Glen Spean.JPG

24 - Creag Pitridh not far to go.JPG
28 - On top of Creag Pitridh.JPG

An easy descent down the slopes to the stalkers path, joining it below where I had left it earlier in the day.
25 - From the summit 1.JPG

Refreshment was had by sticking my head under a small waterfall before setting off back down to the start. I have to admit that the walk dragged a bit at this point. I was jolted back to life when some loony came running down the track behind me, he had been out for hours and had even been fishing (small collapsible rod in rucksack) in the lochan at the top, after a chat he was off again and I was left wandering if I could do the same. No was the answer.
The drive back to Glasgow was very slow being very busy at the bottom end of Loch Lomond. The memories of 2 great days in the hills were re-lived and helped pass the time.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Re: A good weekend to be in the hills 2

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:57 pm

I did these on a scorching day a couple of years ago and couldn't resist the swim at the end :D . As for Creag Pitridh... such are the vagaries of the Munro tables ;). Nice report 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Nice report and some great pictures. Loved this route, albeit it's a bit of a tough day on some of that rock :shock: Well worth the effort though :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 pm

great pictures.. when i did these couldnt see the 1st munro for mist..
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland