walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack revisited - getting More out of it on the 2nd ascent

Bynack revisited - getting More out of it on the 2nd ascent

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 21/07/2011

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I first climbed Bynack More back in March 2010 with kevsbald (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4023&st=0&sk=t&sd=a). It was a howler of a day and with hindsight, we really should have jacked it in that day but we persevered to the summit where we were battered to within and inch of our lives by the howling gales and subjected to a windchill of -276 ...... or so it felt anyway :lol: . And for our troubles, we were treated to expansive views of nothing at all. Anyone who has read my report on that one will remember my personal highlights of the day, such as ...... losing my hat to the raging storm and not even realising because my head was frozen beyond the point of having any sensation left; walking with my trousers half way down my arse because my fingers were too cold to do the zip and buttons up after answering a call of nature (mind you, answering a call of nature in those conditions I think I got off lightly!); and having to suck on the strap buckles on my pack to remove the ice from them before I could get them done back up. :(

All in all a day that had me vowing to reek my revenge one day on that mountain. And now today here was my chance! With a wild camp amongst the Barns (which we saw nothing of back in March of last year). I was up at Glenmore Lodge for a Sea Kayaking course on the Saturday and Sunday (40th birthday present from Mrs D) and decided to head up early on the Friday and get a day in on the hills before booking in. Debbie then said that she didn't mind if I headed off on the Thursday and made it an overnight expedition :clap: . So a plan was hatched to not only do a reascent of Bynack More (combined with the Corbett Meall a'Bhuachaille - one of only 2 listed hills in Britain that my wife had done but I hadn't, the other being the Old Man of Coniston) but to take in the Corbett Creag Mhor and the Munros of Beinn Mheadhoin and Cairn Gorm the following day. Mheadhoin was also firmly in my sights after I had been foiled in my bid to combine it with Derry Cairngorm via Glen Derry and Coire Etchachan (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9908&start=0) back in February of this year. :D

It was almost 2 o'clock by the time I parked up at the end of the road beyond Glenmore Lodge and headed back along the walkers/cyclists track to the Reindeer Centre, where I began the ascent up the good path to the junction on the ridge between Creagan Gorm and Meall a'Bhuachaille.

IMG_7296.JPG
Emerging from the trees onto the open path up to Meall a'Bhuachaille

A few small groups were heading up ahead of me and a few more were passed on their descent. One couple in jeans and trainers gave me a very strange look as they clocked the size of my pack.

IMG_7297.JPG
View across Loch Morlich to Carn Eilrig

Just before the junction, the heavens opened up and I got fully togged up for the haul up to the large summit shelter cairn, which was giving precious little shelter from the elements today.

IMG_7299.JPG
Summit of Meall a'Bhuachaille

The views were non-existent and after 10 minutes of hanging about in hope more than expectation, I abandoned all hope and began descending towards Ryvoan Bothy. I don't know where the groups ahead of me had gone but I saw no sign of them at all on the descent path or indeed down on the track heading back towards the Green Lochan and Glenmore Lodge.

IMG_7300.JPG
Loch a' Gharbh-choire just visible on descent

IMG_7302.JPG
Creag nan Gall behind An Lochan Uaine

IMG_7303.JPG
Approaching Ryvoan Bothy

I popped into Ryvoan Bothy for a wee break (had never been in there before) before making tracks for Bynack More via the usual long ascent path. I passed a guy being eaten alive by midgies beside his tent by the bridge. They actually weren't too bad as long as you kept going - I just about managed to stop by the bridge for a quick chat with the bloke as I took a quick snap and filled up my water bottle.

IMG_7310.JPG
Distant Bynack More from the bridge

Then it was onwards up the path which is undergoing repair works and is dotted every 50 yards or so with big white gravel bags full of hefty looking boulders for path construction.

IMG_7315.JPG
Looking back to Meall a'Bhuachaille

IMG_7316.JPG
Bynack More and Bynack Beag popping up

IMG_7321.JPG
The two Bynacks becoming a bit more visible now

I tracked a bit further left than we had done (I think!) back in March last year, to get better views around to Creag Mhor and over to Ben Avon.

IMG_7323.JPG
Across Creag Mhor towards Ben Avon

IMG_7324.JPG
North east to the Corbetts of Geal Charn and a more distant Ben Rinnes

IMG_7326.JPG
Bynack More summit cone

IMG_7328.JPG
Stac na h-Iolaire and Meall a'Bhuachaille

IMG_7330.JPG
South west across the plateau of A' Choinneach

The final pull up the steep summit cone was a bit of a killer and by the time I reached the summit, I was about ready to call it a day. The weather had closed in a bit on the final pull and memories came flooding back of that March day huddled next to the cairn and deciding that heading down to check out the Barns was not even an option.

IMG_7334.JPG
Bynack More summit - quite tropical really!

This evening I could at least see the Little Barns peeping through the mist ahead of me and I wandered over to check them out, before heading down to the Barns of Bynack themselves to look for a camping spot.

IMG_7336.JPG
Little Barns appearing out of the mist

IMG_7339.JPG
Little Barns close up

I found a nice wee flat spot sheltered right in against the north western side of the huge granite tors and pitched there for the night.

IMG_7348.JPG
Camped below the Barns - view over the top to the Dubh Lochan and Beinn a' Chaorainn

After a dinner of Chicken Dopiaza and rice washed down with a nicely chilled can of lager, I wandered back up towards the Little Barns where I found a mobile reception hotspot and called in, before taking a few sunset shots and exploring the innards of the Barns before polishing off the other can of lager and settling down for what turned out to be a quiet and fairly comfortable night. 8)

IMG_7353.JPG
South down the Lairig an Laoigh towards the Fords of Avon and Dubh Lochan

IMG_7358.JPG
Inside the Barns

IMG_7364.JPG
Daylight fading

IMG_7365.JPG
Barns and tent

IMG_7370.JPG
Clouds over Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Mheadhoin

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Bynack revisited - getting More out of it on the 2nd ascent

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm

How could we have missed them? Oh yes, a blizzard....a more enjoyable experience I imagine - won't take it personally.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Another enjoyable and entertaining report Graeme. Loved your sunset pics too. :D

'' One couple in jeans and trainers gave me a very strange look as they clocked the size of my pack''. ????
Still having problems with that zip??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Nice report, reminded me of my own experience with Bynack More, the first Munro I climbed in the Cairngorms. It was in June 2009, a warm day but we were almost blown off the top by ghastly wind :shock: It must be one of the windiest mountains in Scotland!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Another cracking report Graeme & good to see you out tackling the big hills again after your wee blitz on the sub 2000s.

Just read your last report you & Kev had on Bynack More,looks like everything froze that day apart from the crown jewels :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby JGKES » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 pm

A report given that little bit extra by the snippets of humour contained therein.I'm somewhat puzzled by the references to chilled lager cans;were you carrying a mini battery-operated fridge in that large sack which so intrigued the group you encountered?
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 am

It's been great reading your report and seeing pics of that area again. Last time I was in that part of the Cairngorms, was in 1991 when I walked through to Linn of Dee, I see the path has had to be repaired. My most abiding memory of Bynack More was the first time I climbed it, I came across a sheep up to it's neck in a Strath Nethy bog and about to drown. When I tried to get the sheep free it's horn broke off, but I hauled it out with the other - at least it was still alive.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:18 pm

kevsbald wrote:How could we have missed them? Oh yes, a blizzard....a more enjoyable experience I imagine - won't take it personally.

I think on the day in question Kev we could have missed a herd of African elephant wandering across the summit of Bynack More! :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Still having problems with that zip???

Aye, never buy walking trousers out of Craigdon Sports, let me tell ye! :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:Nice report, reminded me of my own experience with Bynack More, the first Munro I climbed in the Cairngorms. It was in June 2009, a warm day but we were almost blown off the top by ghastly wind :shock: It must be one of the windiest mountains in Scotland!

Thanks BP - you'll just have to go back then eh??? :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Another cracking report Graeme & good to see you out tackling the big hills again after your wee blitz on the sub 2000s.

Just read your last report you & Kev had on Bynack More,looks like everything froze that day apart from the crown jewels :lol: :lol:

Cheers gammy. Aye, can you account for yer whereabouts that day back in March 2010. Certainly your kind of weather! :lol:

JGKES wrote:A report given that little bit extra by the snippets of humour contained therein.I'm somewhat puzzled by the references to chilled lager cans;were you carrying a mini battery-operated fridge in that large sack which so intrigued the group you encountered?

Now there's an idea for taking into the Dragon's Den eh! Sadly no such thing exists to the best of my knowledge. Believe me, if it did, I'd know about it. The 3000ft plus air of Bynack More did a perfectly decent job on the lager though. 8)

Border Reiver wrote:It's been great reading your report and seeing pics of that area again. Last time I was in that part of the Cairngorms, was in 1991 when I walked through to Linn of Dee, I see the path has had to be repaired. My most abiding memory of Bynack More was the first time I climbed it, I came across a sheep up to it's neck in a Strath Nethy bog and about to drown. When I tried to get the sheep free it's horn broke off, but I hauled it out with the other - at least it was still alive.

Interesting first aid scenario and thankfully not one I have ever had to role play in any of my courses or indeed perform in real life. :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland