walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The first two....

The first two....

Postby Yeo-Legs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 21/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I finally did it - my first two Munros (having so far limited my novice and largely untrained 45 year old legs to the lovely Pentlands and surrounding area). I arrived in the NT car-park at about 8am and found that there was only one other car there - a good sign in terms of crowds, but a little unnerving with this being my first go at scaling a big one... Unfortunately the clouds were, as predicted by the MWS, still very much present when I set out armed with map, compass and Viewranger on my HTC phone (just in case). But I decided to press on in any event as I had been looking forward to this trip so much. I knew that I wasn't going to get the views, but I surmised that the sheer joy of the walk would mean that I did not go away disappointed. I was right on both counts - I didn't get the legendary views (though Loch Tay looked stunning as I approached the top of Beinn Ghlas - the last real view I got on the way up), but the whole walk was brilliant! :D I don't think I can add anything useful to the many more interesting and accomplished posts already made by more experienced walkers (and gratefully used by me to plan my trip). Just this, as I was huffing my way up the final stretch of Ben Lawers I could hear voices coming across and through the cloud from the bealach towards Beinn Ghlas (eerie!). Anyway, they reached the summit just after me and turned out to be a very nice couple who were both experienced walkers - she with 30 odd under her belt and he with more than 160 as I recall. They kindly took a photo for me (though they were sadly unable to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear) and the chap - a fire fighter - told me how, several years ago, he and big bunch of other fire fighting colleagues decided to try and make Ben lawers a 4000-footer by (get this) carting two fire ladders all the way up to the summit :shock: placing the tops together and collectively holding on to them while one brave colleague climbed to the top and stuck his hand in the air to pip the 4000 foot mark. Utterly insane, but all in a good cause. Respect! :lol:
Yeo-Legs
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: The first two....

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Congratulations on your first 2 Munros
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Holly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Well done :D
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Yeo-Legs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:07 am

Many thanks both. Really looking forward to my next trip :D
Yeo-Legs
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Penguin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro's. The first of many hopefully :D

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland