walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five go to Glencoe

Five go to Glencoe

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1915m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a day! I had planned this walk for a couple of months ago and had to postpone it due to bad weather and had everything crossed that we would have a decent day. Decent ? It was glorious. 8) After camping out by Loch Lubhair near Crianlarich with my mate Stevie, we headed up to Glencoe to meet up with Tam, Jim and Graeme who had driven up from Paisley. As it was we slept in and they had to wait around in the midge infested car park for half an hour or so before me arrived at 8.30 am . :o We told them to head on as we hadn`t changed from the previous night and as we stood there changing into fresh underwear and brushing our teeth, the first tourist bus of the day drew up :shock: , just as well they were French :)
bideam nam bian 018-1.jpg
Gearr Aonoch & Aonoch Dubh

We quickly got into our stride and headed up the path between Gearr Aonoch & Aonoch Dubh and it wasn`t long before the sweat was dripping off us and i felt like the beer and burgers from the night before were about to be chucked up :( As it was we caught up with the other guys and once we reached a little pool of water they allowed us to stop and rid ourselves of the black marks and stink of campfire from our faces.
From here we could look back and see the Aonach Eagach ridge.
bideam nam bian 028-1.jpg
Am Bodach ?

bideam nam bian 041-1.jpg
a.e

And Stob Coire nan Lochan was rising up in front of us.
bideam nam bian 027.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan

We continued our way up towards the three lochans but couldn`t help looking back at the a.e ridge.
bideam nam bian 036-1.jpg
waterfall

bideam nam bian 039-1.jpg
waterfall

We reached the plateau were the three lochans lie and stopped for lunch and some pics.
bideam nam bian 042-1.jpg
bideam nam bian 044-1.jpg
Pinnacle Buttress

bideam nam bian 055-1.jpg
Lochan

From the three lochans we headed to the right of the buttress were we saw some rock climbers making there way up the stacks, we headed up to the ridgeline from Aonoch Dubh to Stob Coire nan Lochan. Jim had powered ahead and once I had caught up with him we decided to head over to Aonoch Dubh and the other three waited for us at the bottom of the climb up S.C.n.L. From here we could see over to Loch Leven and Loch Linhie and of course over the ridge toward Ben Nevis which bathed majestically in the sunshine above everything else.
bideam nam bian 068-1.jpg
Lochs

bideam nam bian 060-1.jpg
Ben Nevis

bideam nam bian 061-1.jpg

bideam nam bian 070-1.jpg
me

We caught back up with the others and headed onwards and upwards, stopping behind the huge pillars and climbing over onto them for some dramatic pics.
bideam nam bian 097-1.jpg

bideam nam bian 104-1.jpg
?

I had read so much about this walk, escecially on this site but they hadn`t prepared me for just how amazing this walk is, on a day like we had this hill has everything. We were now heading over the boulders towards the summit of S.C.n.L which i think are from leftover volcanic basalt which look like pumus stone but are very sharp. Graem kept refering the walk to like something from the Lord of the Rings but this bit was more like a Led Zeppelin album cover.
bideam nam bian 106-1.jpg
houses of the holy ?

bideam nam bian 111-1.jpg
BigZane clambering over the rocks

It really is a huge boulder field here that you have to get over and as you near the summit the path appears and disappears intermitantly but it`s a case of just picking your way through it till you reach the top. I think this bit could be a bit dodgy on a wet day but we really enjoyed scrambling up over the rocks.
After a munch we were joined at the top where we were joined by a group of english walkers who took our summit pic.
bideam nam bian 117-1.jpg
Stob Coire nan Lochan summit

bideam nam bian 113-1.jpg
Stob Coire Sgreamhach

We then made our way down and up to Bidean nam Bian.
bideam nam bian 120-1.jpg
looking over to Ben Nevis

Once onto the summit we headed over to the other top before coming back for a rest and cahtted to a few walkers we met, coming over from various directions. We had a good laugh, took more pics and headed for our final peak of the day.
bideam nam bian 131-1.jpg

bideam nam bian 132-1.jpg

bideam nam bian 134-1.jpg

On our walk over to Stob Coire Sgreamhach we met a united nations of walkers, English, Chech,Polish, Dutch and German as well as a few Scots :)
It was on the final climb up this second Munro that i began to feel really tired and i think the altitude and sun were getting to my head.
bideam nam bian 155-1.jpg
plank !

bideam nam bian 151-1.jpg
Sgreamhachhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

After another rousing break we made our way down towards the scree chute into the hidden valley. I think this was the most dangerous part of the walk and we took our time to slowly make our way down with loose scree and the odd boulder falling down beside us. I can`t emphasise enough how dodgy this bit is, even rocks that we were gripping onto for support were crumbling in our hands. But we made it safely down and into the hidden valley for a long walk back. It really was an awsome day with four great companions and lots of friendly walkers. thanks for reading and i will add acouple more pics later. :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Five go to Glencoe

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:23 pm

bideam nam bian 157-1.jpg
Bidean nam Bian

bideam nam bian 158-1.jpg
Buachailles

bideam nam bian 161-1.jpg
Hidden Valley

bideam nam bian 163-1.jpg
Ben Nevis

bideam nam bian 168-1.jpg
Ben Starav & Loch Etive

bideam nam bian 185-1.jpg
Hidden valley

bideam nam bian 187-1.jpg
hidden valley

The last part of the hidden valley took us throught the thick forest at the end and there are a couple of dodgy moments crossing the water and the final climb up the wooden staircase really was a struggle aftrer all that but, this has been my favourite day on the hills and would recommended it to anyone. :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby csimbad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Well done tomboy73 and the rest of you, looked a very good day, cracking pics and report glad to see you came out unscaved to the hidden valley :D can't wait to get up this way myself soon hopefully. :thumbup:
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Great report & pictures tomboy,looks like you had similar weather to the day I climbed Bidean.

Did you dook your head in the wee pool between Gear Aonach & Aonach Dubh
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Great report & pictures tomboy,looks like you had similar weather to the day I climbed Bidean.

Did you dook your head in the wee pool between Gear Aonach & Aonach Dubh

Yeah, more than my head, i had my morning wash in that pool after oversleeping in the tent and heading up there crusty eyed and stinking of smoke from the campfire, Thanks
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Penguin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Cracking pics, looks amazing. Can't wait to go there myself. Nice one.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby late starter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:56 pm

WOW , what FANTASTIC photos !! :)
late starter
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 am

great report & excellent photos. will def be having a look at this for future :D
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:36 am

Wowsers Tomyboy!!!

Doesn't get much better than that surely????

Loved everything about this report. So glad you had such a fabbie time :D :D

PS nae gaiters??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:13 pm

thanks everyone,
Polly,
i just took the gaiters off for the pics :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gagfax » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Cracking weekend wasn't it. Looks like you had an ideal day up there. I did these the other way round, in less than ideal weather and with a descent straight down the front of SCaL from the summit.
gagfax

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 pm

aye it was great Gary. Congrats on makin the ton :clap: i hear you`ve got a ghost writer now !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gagfax » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Cheers Tommy. Ghost writer :lol: Aye i'll leave the report to Polly, I'm rubbish at them. If she does it there'll be loads of sex, violence and car chases, a bit like an episode of The Professionals (Im Bodie) :lol:
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 pm

gagfax wrote:Cheers Tommy. Ghost writer :lol: Aye i'll leave the report to Polly, I'm rubbish at them. If she does it there'll be loads of sex, violence and car chases, a bit like an episode of The Professionals (Im Bodie) :lol:

Bodie??? you wish!!! I was in the official Lewis Collins Fan Club!!! :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 am

Great report and pictures...did that route in April this year on a similar glorious day...best part was to see a group of 20 stags just before crossing the burn.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland