walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain

Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 01/07/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 1230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dorain3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Appeared to be another sunny day when I woke up this morning, perfect bagging weather. Not a long day today so I could afford yet another lie in. I was parked up in the Bridge of Orchy Hotel car park and was ready to go by 09:00. There is no charge for the car park but I thought I'd repay later with a couple of beers (the least I could do) as it was looking like it was going to be a hot day.

The most dangerous part of the walk started straight away - crossing the A82 to get to the road which leads to the train station. I guess you could park at the train station as I didn't see any signs requesting payment their either.

After going under the track the path up Coire an Dothaidh is pretty easy to follow. The tops were in cloud to begin with but this wouldn't last long.
Dorain1104.jpg
Looking up to the bealach

The path was quite boggy in places and as it approached the col it turned into loose scree which wasn't fun. Great views of the crags on either side around the head of the coire.
Dorain1106.jpg
South crags

Dorain1107.jpg
North crags

I reached the cairn on the col at 10:25.
Dorain1108.jpg
Looking roughly S-East at the col

I wanted to save my lunch for Beinn Dorain so I went left first to bag Beinn an Dothaidh. I followed a good path for most of the way up and when I inevitably lost it in the bogs I set my sights on the highest point and headed for that. I soon picked up another path which led me up onto the top and another path where I turned right and strolled across to what I thought was the summit cairn by 11:00. Fabulous views all around.
Dorain1109.jpg
Think that's Beinn a'Chuirn with Loch Lyon

Dorain1111.jpg
Towards Ben More and Stob Binnein

After taking a few photos I noticed another cairn off to my left and it appeared to be higher than this one so I followed the top path around to it. Good job it was clear and I noticed it as I was intending on just retracing my steps back to the col after the first summit cairn. That'll teach me to be slack with my homework.
Dorain1114.jpg
Looking towards Rannoch Moor

Dorain1115.jpg
Tyndrum hills

Dorain1117.jpg
Loch Tulla and beyond from the summit

Dorain1118.jpg

A few more photos later I did go back to the col again and was there by 11:45. I took my time on the path up to Beinn Dorain but still managed to lose it just as it levelled out after the initial ascent. I could see the path in the distance so headed straight for it across the bogs. The actual path was more over to my right somewhere.

I soon came to a fork in the path and the one off to the left just appeared to disappear onto the top of a small craggy bit so I carried on ahead. Wrong! This lower path just skirted the hill and didn't appear to be going up any time soon. I could occasionally see people up on the ridge where I wanted to be so when the grass looked less steep between the crags I just went for it and a few minutes later was on the proper ridge path, not far from the summit in fact. Got to the summit around 12:40.
Dorain1121.jpg
Dorain summit looking South(ish)

Dorain1122.jpg

Dorain1124.jpg
Looking North towards Carn Sasunnaich from Dorain's summit

Dorain1128.jpg
All the way to the Ben

I went past the summit onto the slope overlooking the viaduct for a spot of lunch. It was quite warm now despite the cloudy looking pictures so spent around an hour and a bit relaxing.
Dorain1125.jpg
The viaduct from just beyond the summit

The bar from the hotel was calling to me now so I followed the ridge path back to where I should have joined it.
Dorain1129.jpg
Go left for the ridge path

Took my time getting back down to the car. Got there at 15:30.It was quite a relaxing walk today, and even better when sitting on the hotel balcony sipping a cold one, or two.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain

Postby Morag M » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Well done, I really liked these two, pics are lovely with great views, well deserved cold beer :lol:
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 pm

Can't beat it when you get a good day and the carpark just happens to be next to the bar 8) Love that pic of The Ben!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland