walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helm Crag, a Wainwright too far

Helm Crag, a Wainwright too far

Postby canisp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott

Date walked: 11/04/2011

Time taken: 10

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills done, Gibson Knott and Calf Crag
OS Map No 90
Start Grasmere Village, Grid Ref 339073
Distance walked 13 km’s
Height Gain 700 metre’s
8 April 2011

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Leaving Grasmere around 8:00 am i walked through the village to Brimmer Head Farm then up a well signposted path to Helm Crag, from car to summit 1 hour.

Looking down on Brimmer Head Farm

Looking up to the lower south top of Helm Crag

The lower south top of Helm Crag

Helm Crag

I made 3 or 4 attempts to scramble up to the top of the highest rock (the howitzer) by slightly different lines but couldn’t manage it. Half my brain was saying go on push it, take a chance, the other half was saying hey remember when you slipped off one of the Narnain Boulders, don’t be stupid…… sanity prevailed.

Summit cairn of Gibson Knott

Looking down Easedale Gill

After about 45 minutes spent around the summit area i headed off for Gibson Knott 1 km to the north west. Calf Crag was the next Wainwright on route then lunch was had near a small tarn on Brownrigg Moss.

Reflection in pool near the summit of Calf Crag

Reflection in pool near the summit of Calf Crag

Looking across the small tarn on Brownrigg Moss

Looking across the small tarn on Brownrigg Moss

Not having been out walking much lately and with the day being hot i was struggling, so much so that after reaching Greenup Edge i couldn’t work up any enthusiasm to continue to High Raise so turned tail and escaped down Far Easedale Gill. It was a pleasant walk down Far Easedale Gill with a few small waterfalls providing diversions to take my mind off my aching legs.

Bridge over Far Easedale Gill

Bridge over Far Easedale Gill

Waterfall

Waterfall

Finally a short stroll from Brimmer Head Farm and i was back at the car.

Path near the river

Nearing Brimmer Head Farm
Last edited by canisp on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Helm Crag, a Wainwright too far

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Great report and stunning pics - you made the right choice in not pushing too hard on the lion, if you are on your own risk taking is never a good idea :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Some great pics there, I can't wait to have a go at Helm Crag.The danger is pushing too far and getting stuck. :lol:
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby icemandan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Like the pics - the one looking down Ease Gill is particularly good. You got a fantastic day.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Crawler » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:00 am

those are stunning photos especially the ones looking across water :D Haven't been up Helm Crag etc for many years now
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby yokehead » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi canisp, welcome back after so long! Love the report and superb photos as ever, great to see those trademark shots at water level! 8)

Don't blame you for not pushing that scramble, what with all of those hills you've still to climb! :lol: Better to keep yourself in one piece for future great hill days.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby john923 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm

yokehead wrote:.. great to see those trademark shots at water level!

As good an advert for wild swimming as I've seen for quite a while - well it was certainly the weather for it :)
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby canisp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks for the kind comments

yokehead wrote:Hi canisp, welcome back after so long!

Thanks. I’ve been busy with family, friends and other stuff so hill walking had to take a backseat, i hope to get back into hill walking but first my fitness levels need working on as they have gone through the floor :(.
canisp

Postby houdi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Truly stunning photos and what an excellent clear day you had. This takes me back a few years when I climbed Blencathra (up via Sharp Edge & down via Hall’s Fell) in the morning of my last day in the Lakes, and Helm Crag in the afternoon. Actually, the lower summit is called the Lion & the Lamb and the main summit (your fourth photo, I think) is the Howitzer. It’s the one Wainwright never managed to climb. Oddly enough I climbed it three times that day. Some kind person offered to take my photo on top of the Howitzer but when I subsequently looked at it I found it was way too dark. I didn’t have the heart to tell them so I got the next person who came along to retake it, which meant climbing up again. And then some bloke from London scrambled up but got stuck and couldn’t get back down. I ended up having to go up there again to help him down. It’s quite tricky to find the best route but once I’d figured that out it was easy. It took me less than thirty seconds to get up there that third time. Cracking little hill though, and easily one of the best summits in the Lakes.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby canisp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:37 pm

houdi wrote:Actually, the lower summit is called the Lion & the Lamb and the main summit (your fourth photo, I think) is the Howitzer.

Thanks for the info, a lack of attention to detail on my part :oops:, have edited to correct

houdi wrote:……I found it was way too dark……

Better too dark than too light, it gives more room for manoeuvre when post processing.
canisp

Postby wyattwolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi, is Helms Crag a good prospect for a newbie with only one walk under my belt to date (Fairfield Horseshoe with a mate guiding). Looking to go this coming weekend, I was thinking of camping nearby (Rydal Hall or Grasmere) and then walking up there and having a wonder and then back again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Oh and I can't read a map yet....

Awesome pics!!
wyattwolf

Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Penguin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Cracking pics :D I wish i could take photo's like that, but mine never seem to come out how I hoped. I can empathise with the walking having to take a backseat. :? Hopeully it's not for too long.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby canisp » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 pm

wyattwolf wrote:Hi, is Helms Crag a good prospect for a newbie with only one walk under my belt to date…… ……Oh and I can't read a map yet....

Hi wyattwolf

It’s a short easy hike up to Helm Crag for the most part on a well worn path, and a much easier day than the Fairfield Horseshoe. On a clear day it shouldn’t be a problem, but get your mate to show you the basics of map and compass work, as you tackle more hills you will need these skills. Good luck with Helm Crag and let us know how you get on.

Steve……

Penguin wrote:I wish i could take photo's like that, but mine never seem to come out how I hoped.

I get lucky sometimes, if not i post process them to death :shock: :oops:

Penguin wrote:I can empathise with the walking having to take a backseat. Hopeully it's not for too long.

Thanks, i’m getting there, slowly.

Steve……
canisp

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 pm

I was up there the other week, I didn't manage to get to the top of the fell either!

I think I'd got a way sussed out, but I was running out of time and didn't want a ticket when I got back to Grasmere. There's always next time.
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland