walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Monsters are loose again!

The Monsters are loose again!

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 1319m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So the Monsters return to Scotland for a week... More munros I'm thinking; this time some new ones for me. Time to go exploring together... We settled on Beinn a'Bleithir; two summits near Glencoe; not too long a walk and a chance to get the monsters used to bagging more than one summit in a day; this walk being longer than the Buch!!

The first pit stop; not sure what's going here; I think Sam is wiping his ass and the rest, well, your guess is as good as mine!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_8787.jpg

Onwards went the monsters tackling the forest path; fun that bit was apparently; and then open mountain land / bog before the final ascent to the Beallach between the two summits...

IMG_8796.jpg

The view back down the valley and towards The Ben and the Mamores just gets better and better with height...

IMG_8807.jpg

It wasn't long before the beallach was reached; Monstar Sam being first to arrive to the familiar chorus of 'Who's that coming over the hill... Is it a monster...'

IMG_8810.jpg

Refreshment time when Megan arrived; Mum showing off her new Scarpa boots and threatening to hoof her down the hill...

_MG_8829.jpg

Sam posing for the camera; one happy boy in the hills...

_MG_8816.jpg

Then it was time to take on the first summit of the day; we tackled Sgorr Dhonuill to the west first. A fine peak and the ascent to the summit from the beallach is gorgeous; a combination of grassy; rocky; all with stunning views and a healthy drop to the north...

IMG_8840.jpg

Samba and I made the top first; the boy was possessed; I've never seen a six year old go up a mountain like this one does; Team Boys he said... Much better than Team Girls...

IMG_8852.jpg

We shout some encouragement to Team Girls...

IMG_8859.jpg

And not long after that Mum makes the summit of her tenth munro; double figures... Wooooo Hop!

IMG_8860.jpg

A bit more food on the top including some cheesy wotsits and Sam decides to either hug or strangle Megan... I'm not sure you decide...

IMG_8873.jpg

Summit photo on Sgorr Dhonuill; the Monsters showing off their new North Face threads... I think we're now called the skittles family, or the rainbow family... :lol:

IMG_8886.jpg

And then we're off to the second of the day, Sgorr Dhearg with Team Boys leading the way...

IMG_8865.jpg

Megan was struggling a little bit so I took over some 'Daddy' duties, and it wasn't long before made the top and were waiting for Team Mum and Sam; looking back at the first summit of the day...

IMG_8906.jpg

Mum and Samba arrive at the top of Sgorr Dhearg :?

IMG_8915.jpg

The view from the top was stunning in all directions... But particularly toward The Ben and The Mamores...

Panorama 1.jpg

Summit of photo of me with the Monsters on my 122nd munro...

_MG_8927.jpg

We decided to descend along the north ridge; nothing worse than trudging back down the way you came; so a chance to explore new terrain was the mutual decision...

_MG_8931.jpg

Mum showing off on the descent ridge; there's nothing scary here, but you do feel like you're in a lot of space with some steep drops either side...

_MG_8939.jpg

It's not long before Sam and I take the lead; with Team Girls celebrating on the descent...

IMG_8949.jpg

And all the while the views to The Ben; and the Mamores are absolutely stunning... What more could you want for a family day out... They'd be asleep pretty much as soon as the drive home started; and that's just how kids should be I think; shattered after a day in the wilderness...

IMG_8958.jpg

The Stats...

IMAG1423.jpg

And the route...

2011 - 07 - 30 - Beinn a'Bheithir.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: The Monsters are loose again!

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Looks as if the monsters had another great day out thanks to mum & dad,impressive time for these two also,must take after dad,some great weather you always to get,unlike me :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Excellent report Andrew and top marks to the youngsters for what must have seemed to them like a long walk. Weather looked superb. Bags of Skittles all round i think :D
monty

Postby late starter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Wow, I am so so impressed with the kids, I have only started doing Munros and they put me to shame. Pics are STUNNING. Was a great day for it yesterday. I got my 4th Munro yesterday so am a happy bunny today! Think you have given us ideas to plan for our next one or two! Well done to you all
late starter
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby Cuil Lodair » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Yer Satmap says, Sunrise at 08:14 & Sunset at 16:47......where were you?
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 am

Great report. I see the next generation of hillwalkers is ready to take over :D :D

We were just next to you on Saturday, climbing Bidean nam Bian. It was my first visit to Glen Coe - I was both enchanted and scared (especially when I looked at Aonach Eagach ridge).
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Nice report Andrew, great to see the kids loving it.

Took some of my nephews/neices on a local walk this weekend only for them to start moaning after 5 minutes that they were tired, and it was flat! I guess they needed to want to do it, and the scenery wasn't as good. :)

Oh, and going by Megan's expression I'd say definitely a "strangle". :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Looks as if the monsters had another great day out thanks to mum & dad,impressive time for these two also,must take after dad,some great weather you always to get,unlike me :lol: :lol:

Thanks Gammy; bit slow I think; will have to put them through their paces a bit; toughen them up a bit!! ;)

monty wrote:Excellent report Andrew and top marks to the youngsters for what must have seemed to them like a long walk. Weather looked superb. Bags of Skittles all round i think :D

Thanks Monty; look out for some more skittles and monsters in the hills; another one bagged today; TR to follow...

late starter wrote:I got my 4th Munro yesterday so am a happy bunny today!

So you've got the bug? :D

Cuil Lodair wrote:Yer Satmap says, Sunrise at 08:14 & Sunset at 16:47......where were you?

Pah, in my study with no 'reception' when I took the 'stats pic' so it just revers to default times...

BlackPanther wrote:We were just next to you on Saturday, climbing Bidean nam Bian. It was my first visit to Glen Coe - I was both enchanted and scared (especially when I looked at Aonach Eagach ridge).

We nearly joined you; that was our other option, but was a bit worried about how steep the descent into the Lost Valley is for the kids; they get competitive and can push each other a bit...

skuk007 wrote:Nice report Andrew, great to see the kids loving it.

Thanks; I wouldn't have it any other way; I love seeing kids messing about outside... :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby old danensian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm already looking forward to the Monsters' next report - and maybe even using them as an example to encourage some of our younger family members to join me on a future trip.

It looks like you've ignited the spark, and hopefully it'll now persist in the face of a trip or two in more challenging conditions.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:32 pm

I think we're now called the skittles family, or the rainbow family... :lol:

Have you seen the new "Crazy Cores" Skittles..........????? !!!!! :lol:

Great to see the kids out walking again.

Love the report - hadn't seen this walk before, hopefully we'll be up there later this year with our kids too. :D
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby The Summiteer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Great report & photos - probably the MOST enjoyable one I've read on Walkhighlands. Well done to you & your family! :D

Summiteer. 8)
The Summiteer
Mountaineer

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:8

Postby Ken F » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:56 am

Great report and photos many thanks. I have been researching which Munros we should start my kids on and your report has helped with my selection. Very useful inclusion of your GPS screen this has also helped by providing additional information for me to make my choice for my kids first Munros in the summer. Cheers Ken
Ken F
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   
Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:19   Islands:24

Postby jules999 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:23 pm

what a fantastic report. looks like you all had a great day out, and well done to all for getting up there .. photos are fantastic :clap: x
jules999
Mountain Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:67
Fionas:19   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:33   
Islands:4

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland