walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Avon

Ben Avon

Postby Tomsie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:12 am

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Ben Avon

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 33.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan was to take in Ben a’ Bhuird as well, so took advice from my book and reports on here to take bike for first part of this and was glad I did, can get boring walking on tarmac.

Reached the wooden gate and into Gleann an t-Slugain had a look around for The Secret Howff, but was wasting time so moved on, When I came to the fork took left track downhill and this reaches Slugain Lodge still had bike at this time and decided to take it further as wasn’t sure which path I would be coming back
First Hurdle.jpg

Slugain Lodge.jpg

Eventually met other path and then reaching Glen Quioch, this is where I had to leave bike unfortunately not the way I wanted too after putting on patch and headed along path meeting 3 people and stopping briefly, taking a few photo’s of lowering cloud.

Puncture.jpg

Glen Quoich.jpg

Cloud.jpg

Crossed over small stream to go east and first path is off bounds to some kind of work being done on it so took the zig zag path up past the boulder of Clach a Chleirich.

Clach a' Chleirich.jpg

Clear up to Sneck.jpg

So now you have a grassy glen in front but the ground is very boggy and can only think this is much worse in the wetter months but looking back the views were good, made it up to the The Sneck and boom the view had disappeared cloud just moved in and wind was howling, took a rest here and looking into the corrie Slochd Mor but for about 3 seconds it cleared just as I put camera back in to give me a glimpse of what I was missing.

The Sneck.jpg

Slochd Mor.jpg

Headed right or NE up the zig zag gravel slope not seeing more then 20 ft, this munro was the first that I have used a map first at Gleann an t-Slugain and had it out a lot through the day until reaching summit, at the top of slope headed NE and had to stop once more to check map to see if I was heading in the right direction as visibility was zilch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbpE-AoXLQ[/youtube]

Eventually reached the big Tors it seemed they just appeared in front of me.

Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe.jpg

Made my way up these deafened by the wind and took quick break.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrQwwP-z5s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58GmHGyOHDM[/youtube]

Making way back to The Sneck but seemed to be closer to corrie this time as I was coming down the slope cloud lifted a bit and got another view of corrie.

Way Back.jpg

Slochd Mor 1.jpg

Decided to return to bike and leave Ben a’ Bhuird for another day, just as well looking back cloud was hanging there still, one last quick look for the howff but no luck so headed home.
Last edited by Tomsie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Ben Avon

Postby Tomsie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 am

Still having problems with the video
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 am

Rather than putting the embed code from youtube between the youtube tags on here, you just need to put the url of the actual webpage on youtube that has your video on it.

Love Ben Avon - high on the list of hills to return to.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Tomsie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 am

Job done. Thank you once again
Tomsie
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland