walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fantastic Weather for Sgor Gaoith

Fantastic Weather for Sgor Gaoith

Postby late starter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:14 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had planned to do this only IF weather was good as we were taking my friend on her first Munro. Stayed over in Dalraddy Holiday Park previous night, but would have been closer staying at Rothiemurchas. Started from small car park on way to Auchlean - just past the landing strip.
DSCF4876.JPG
Sign post at start of walk once in the car park
Couldnt have got a better day for this - views were breathtaking throughout the walk! So much so hubby stood in one place and videod by doing a circle and WOW.
There is a great path for a good bit of the way going through trees which was just stunning
CIMG2320.JPG
Great Paths and Views
CIMG2323.JPG
Stunning views
DSCF4878.JPG
Not far from the start

Because the weather was so lovely there were so many photos taken to remind ourselves why we were there! I personally found once we were off the path the underground was soft and spongy and this was were the incline was very steep which I found a bit of a trog but it was beautiful.
We didnt meet a soul during the walk up until we neared the summit. As my hubby was approaching the summit(he is faster than me!) he met two lads with dogs, two of the dogs approached my hubby growling at him, which as you can imagine would be quite frightening, one of them decides to nip the back of his boot!!! :shock: Mmmm, now the owner starts shouting at the dog, he apologises to my hubby saying the dog 'has something against boots!!' Hubbys reply was? 'This might not be the best place to be taking them esp not on a lead'! Walking hills isnt the ideal place is it to be walking a dog who has a 'thing' about boots! The approach of the summit was enough for hubby to forget the incident for a wee while.
CIMG2327.JPG
Hubby approaching the summit
CIMG2328.JPG
Loch Einich in background
CIMG2338.JPG
Sgor Gaoith
CIMG2335.JPG
lovely
P7300202.JPG
Summit of Sgor Gaoith
P7300218.JPG
wow
P7300224.JPG
Amazing

After having lunch at the summit and taking some time to embrace the stunning scenery around us on such a clear day we continued onto Meall Buidhe missing out on Sgor Dubh Mor.
P7300229.JPG
Sgor Gaoith from Meall Buidhe
. We continued to Gael Charn enjoying our surroundings on the way.
P7300236.JPG
En route
From there we start the descent to the car park which was a VERY steep descent, found this quite hard as the ground was so soft and spongy (I am quite a scaredy pants! lol) :)
P7300256.JPG
Start of descent from Gael Charn, stunning views
We had such a fantastic day with fantastic weather and fantastic views - well they were breathtaking views from the Summit. But best of all we were with Shirley as she conquered her first Munro.
CIMG2342.JPG
Well Done Shirley on your first Munro

As I am very much of a novice I am hoping some of you would be kind enough to let me know if Meall Buidhe and Gael charn are Munro tops or what?
Sorry for attaching so many photos but I have so many and wanted to share a 'few' of them! Excuse some of them which has the wrong date, one of the cameras we had had not had the date/time change since it was bought - wont mention the name of that person!! :lol:
late starter
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: Fantastic Weather for Sgor Gaoith

Postby JGKES » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Late starter.Enjoyed your pictorial report.Geal Charn is a top now,although a Munro when I returned via its summit to the car park at Loch an Eilein after climbing Sgor Gaoith in 1981.Somewhere in the interim it's been demoted which is annoying.I couldn't locate on my map a Meal Buidhe but there are 2 Munros of this name,although neither are in the Cairngorms. If after logging in and filing a walk report, you click on to Update Hills Climbed you will be able to check the names of the Munros in the area where you were walking.Hope this makes sense.In other words you can check whether a hill is a Munro on this forum.Although I can submit a reply to a report,being a computer dummy I can't see a way of sending a report in the first place.Help appreciated.Sgor Gaoith is a biggie for a first Munro so well done.My walk journal tells me I didn't get back to the car until 7 so it must have been a long one.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby late starter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:20 pm

JKES, thanks for your info. This was only my 4th so I was chuffed about doing Gaoith, was stunning scenery en route. I am so disappointed Gael Charn isnt a Munro now was hoping to make it no. 5. I have actually logged it as a Munro - OOPS!!! We followed the O.S 36 map we had to go to Meall Buidhe before Gael charn, wish we had taken in the Dubh Mor while we were there but hey ho - too late now. It was a GREAT day. Was AMAZING - we felt no pressure as there were so few folks en route. Lots more after we reached the Summit but they all seemed to have taken a different route. To put on a report of a walk all you have to do is - look up the walk - where it states 'read users reports' there is a bit underneath where it states 'write your own report'. Hope this helps :)
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Nice report Late Starter. Its good to get out in the sunshine. Not a nice experience meeting less than friendly dogs. :shock: You took some nice photos. :D
monty

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:02 pm

We were there too!
Copy (1) of IMG_1682.JPG
Us on the summit

We parked further south at the last car park on the road and walked a circuit from there. We came back down to the path direct-ish from the summit across a lot of rocks and heather so you might have chosen the best route really. Think we saw you as you rejoined the main path from Geal Charn. The summit is quite a surprise and the views across to the Cairngorms amazing.
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby watty1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Great report late starter and looks like u got a great day for the views.
Was up there not long ago myself on the same kind of day and truly stunning views..

Well done.
watty1
Mountaineer

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby late starter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 pm

mountain-ju-drop wrote:We were there too!
Copy (1) of IMG_1682.JPG

We parked further south at the last car park on the road and walked a circuit from there. We came back down to the path direct-ish from the summit across a lot of rocks and heather so you might have chosen the best route really. Think we saw you as you rejoined the main path from Geal Charn. The summit is quite a surprise and the views across to the Cairngorms amazing.

It was an amazing day for the views. Cant recall seeing you. We didnt see anyone when we joined the main path, although my hubby and pal were waiting for me as I took ages coming down. Thought it was really steep - across heather etc am thinking we may have came down same way? I found it all just AWESOME. Am still in awe of what we see when we take to the hills. Only started in April so am just learning about scree, cols, etc etc .Wish I had done all this in my 20's. Great seeing young folk doing this.
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby late starter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:16 pm

watty1 wrote:Great report late starter and looks like u got a great day for the views.
Was up there not long ago myself on the same kind of day and truly stunning views..

Well done.

Thanks, am so enjoying this new adventures we have started - in fact am loving it!!
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby kevsbald » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am

Overly attentive dogs - hence the invention of walking poles!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby late starter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 pm

watty1 wrote:Great report late starter and looks like u got a great day for the views.

Well done.

Thank you very much, I am still in awe of the views from the scenery and of course the weather made it really.
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby late starter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 pm

monty wrote:Nice report Late Starter. Its good to get out in the sunshine. Not a nice experience meeting less than friendly dogs. :shock: You took some nice photos. :D

Thank you
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I did this walk in high winds,rain and zero views so it's good to see what i missed, thanks.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland