walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Playing with Lego and Blondie on Devil's Point

Playing with Lego and Blondie on Devil's Point

Postby kevsbald » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 1300m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was blessed over the weekend. In fact, it would be fair to say that my Cairngorm experience could not have been more magical. I had not had the best of weeks off up in Torridon as my wife who was with me had fallen ill and I was not able to get on to the hills at all. I had come back to Glasgow frustrated and pent up and my wife realised as such. "You should do an overnight trek on Friday as I'm working." Hello there Jose!!! The forecast was good and I had the sole intention of both taking in some fantastic hills in the Cairngorms and hoping to perhaps find the reindeer, which were wild. I was rather excited about the latter actually. This was evident in my stallion-esque approach to the long walk in from Linn of Dee as I roared past Carn a Mhaim and on to new territory. One often reads the accounts of others and the SMC Munro book but there is something special about heading into the wild places to take in new experiences. I was also doing a high Kinley (c) camp near the summit of Devil's Point so the night was all MINE!! Can you tell I was excited? Like an elephant in musht, I blazed past some Corrour campers and trumpeted good evening before mounting the excellent path up to the bealach. I was reminded of my maths teacher from school, Mrs Harden, first name Tina. I was at my campsite for 1930. I placed my beer in a small stream, erected my tent (the prose is rather indicative of my excitement on straddling Bod an Deamhain) and arrived at the summit. The views across the open landscape below and into Glen Geusachan were extraordinary and I was stunned. I savoured the moment. I headed back to camp and tucked into my M&S dinner of pasta and chorizo with chicken - this wasn't just a Munro experience, this was S&M - but where was the pain??? I scoffed down dinner just as the insectidae detected my skin and began the process of ramming their probosci into my veins. I didn't dwell as it was 2015 and so I thought I would do a recce and see where Cairn Toul lay. I ascended one of several paths and looked back to see my tent and Devil's Point below. Then, I could see 2 white goats stealthily approaching. This was strange....or could it be.....yes, it looked like it. Hee hee - you beauty!! I got my iPhone out and began videoing these 2 creatures which approached with curiousity - it was a mother reindeer and her wee baba - they approached to within 10 feet and I didn't have any food but they stood and looked at me before moving off. I have since found out that these were Blondie (one long antler, one stump) and Lego, her new calf. Click here for video - View My Video . Only 2 of 4 white reindeer out of the entire 140-strong herd. I phoned my wife to tell her about my cervine experience and then my mum who asked with what sounded like a heavy heart "Can ye nae jist ging tae the pub like normal fowk?" Mither P just doesn't get it. I headed back down to my tent after spying Cairn Toul and watching the sun go down, whereupon I opened the coldest and tastiest beer I've had in a while. I sat for half an hour contemplating the effects of the 'black dog' and hoped that things would pick up. I then had a real sense of elation at this point and felt an extraordinary sense of how great it is to be alive and in good health. I slept. When I arose at 0445, the sun was just rising over Ben Macdui and I ate a leisurely breakfast, refreshened both by the cold morning and my experience from the night before. I took a light pack, left my tent and re-traced my steps before heading up on to the Saighdleir plateau before looking across to Cairn Toul. As I looked back to my tent, I realised I was looking at a rather fine cloud inversion. Devil's Point looked like a submarine thrusting out of the sea - the innuendo in this account really is astonishing me. I began the lovely walk round the high coire of Cairn Toul and took in the fine views over to Angel's Peak and Braeriach, where Winter (October-June) snow still remained. The descent and ascent of Sgor nan Lochain Uaine was plain in comparison that all had gone before but the view from the edge of the summit of the latter was awesome. I sat on the edge of the corrie and looked out over the vast space below me. Braeriach could easily have been taken in as it was only 0830 but I wanted to savour that Cairngorm experience for another time. I was more than satiated and what with a 19km walk back out in what would be stifling conditions, I knew it had been a beautiful trip. I'm just sorry you weren't there to share it with me!
wh1.jpg
Bod an Deamhain
wh2.jpg
Looking up towards the Lairig Ghru
wh3.jpg
Summit of Devil's Point - amazing vista
wh4.jpg
Looking over to Macdui
wh5.jpg
Just below summit of Devil's Point
wh6.jpg
Sundown from the bealach
wh7.jpg
Close encounters of the cervine kind
wh8.jpg
Sunrise over Macdui
wh9.jpg
Cairn Toul
wh10.jpg
Looking over Carn a Mhaim
wh11.jpg
View from Cairn Toul to Devil's Point and beyond
wh12.jpg
Braeriach the behemoth
wh14.jpg
The Devil's Point thrusts from the clouds
wh15.jpg
Final snap before home
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Playing with Lego and Blondie on Devil's Point

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Awrite Kev,was not sure how to reply to this post so just going to play safe,great report again,great set of piccies,brill vid,off to have a cold shower. :wink: :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby CurlyWurly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Amazing stuff fella, you deserved an epic trip like that. Wild camp, the full sunset and sunrise experience and a cloud inversion chucked in as well for good measure. Hope you bring the good weather omens on our next trip!!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Beautiful narrative and magical photos. You have me completely intoxicated Kev. Didn't want your report to end. If this doesn't win Walk report of the month nothing will!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davetherave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Love your style Kev!
Another super report.
Highcamp,cold beer, cloud inversion and a tip to the Cairngorms.
Lucky bugger.

We are hoping to get up there next weekend,plan coming in from Glen feshie side.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:50 pm

That's what it's about 8)

Although it's one of the down sides of this internet malarky that you get to see what you missed so graphically :( ;)

Trust Mrs P is on the mend - and ta for the memories 8)
kinley

Postby nathan79 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Fantastic. 8)

I've had some great weather up the Cairngorms this year but i still haven't managed a wild camp and awoken to a morning like that.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 am

Cheers Polly, Nathan, Kinley, Dave, GLW and CW.

Dave, I just need a dog like Wilson to make these kind of trips whole - where can I get one?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am

Great read and what a fantastic trip.

Loved the video - im sure you couldnt wipe the smile from your face.

Makes me want to wild camp.

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby old danensian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks for this one - you've confirmed it as a trip that needs to be on my own list of high camps.

There's nothing like wandering up higher and looking down in the evening on that little blob of green (or orange / red delete as appropriate) while clutching a mug of tea or something stronger and enjoying the scale and the solitude.

Late evenings: early mornings - nothing beats 'em.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Dooter, let's get one organised then.
Pick some hills and we'll blast up the road from G-land.

OD - I cannot recommend this particular area highly enough. A beautiful place.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Tremendous views Kev. Great report. I wondered if Lego and Blondie were a whisky induced mirage but nope, they were real :lol: Does that mean you have to add these three to your total making 187 and forcing me to go out again this weekend instead of having a rest :shock: 8) :wink:
monty

Postby neilfowlie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Aright Kev, Outstanding report pal, again. I've been in this area really only once and that was when I did the Lairig Ghru and that was awesome from the ground so I can only imagine how it looks from above. Sunset, sunrise, wild camp, cloud inversion, reindeer, the list goes on. Your outing had the works. Thanks for the read. Superb.
ps. I like GLW comment. Think I need a cold shower too. :lol:
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ndhudson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:28 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Makes me very thankful to be able to read!!! Great report, Kev!

The reindeer welcoming party was especially grand! That's a prize only given to the walker who can really appreciate it...and that you are. Good times!!! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Lovely report Kev, glad it isn't just me that talks to animals like that :D

Hope Mrs Bald is feeling better.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland