walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 6

Glenshee 6

Postby howzat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 25/07/2011

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off to tackle the Glenshee 6 at 08.45 from the car park 2kms north of the Glenshee ski centre (fortunately dropped off so not requiring a return) in great walking conditions, high cloud, great visibility, low winds. Followed a clear path straight up the first Munro of the day, Carn Tuirc, avoiding the scree slopes by going around to the left to reach the top in 1hr 25mins.
IMG_4891.JPG
Carn Tuirc
IMG_4894.JPG
Top of Carn Tuirc in sunshine.

With good visibility the route up the next Munro, Cairn of Claise, was via an obvious easy going track, following a dry stone wall just before the summit which I reached in 2hrs 20mins.
IMG_4895.JPG
Wall to summit of Cairn of Claise
IMG_4896.JPG
Top of Cairn of Claise

Munros 3 & 4 of the day, the more remote Tolmount (3hrs 10mins) & Ben Buidhe (3hrs 45m), were reached by a walk across a peaty plateau. It did take quite a few looks at my map to work out which were the Munros as both looked little more than small hills on the expansive plateau, an area which the guide books say can provide difficult navigation in poor weather.
IMG_4898.JPG
Tolmount
IMG_4901.JPG
Ben Buidhe

The walk from Ben Buidhe to Munro 5 of the day, Glas Maol, required a long but easy 2 hour walk back via just below the summit of Cairn of Claise to pick up a wide track to just short of Glas Maol's summit which was reached in 5hrs 30mins.
IMG_4904.JPG
Glas Maol

Munro number 6 was Creag Leacach, which looked by far the most interesting of the day, requiring a walk along a very rocky but easy ridge to its summit, which was reached in 6hrs 35mins. The descent from Creag Leacach should have been via the SW top however I managed it (not planned) via a very steep path (thank God for those walking poles) before the SW top, reaching the car park 2 kms south of the ski-centre in 7hrs 45mins, glad of the fact that I didn't have a 4km road walk back to the start point.
IMG_4906.JPG
Creag Leacach from the slopes of Glas Maol
IMG_4907.JPG
The ridge to Creag Leacach
IMG_4909.JPG
Top of Creag Leacach
A long but easy going walk to get 6 Munros.
Last edited by howzat on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glenshee 6

Postby RicKamila » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Nice report. We were at Glenshee today hoping to do the Cairnwell 3. Visibility was so poor first thing this morning, you couldn't even see the Ski Centre from the road. Gave up in the end and went to Loch Callater which was clear, despite being so close to there.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby davetherave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Well done. Glenshee 4 was more than enough for us though.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for posting, I lost my pics of exactly the same walk done in 1993, so it's good to get a wee reminder. The most memorable thing I had of my walk, was a Seiko watch I found by the path just 5 m from that first car park. The date / time function was in French. I handed it it & the cops eventually returned it to me.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland