walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Monsters take on Rain, Wind, and Clag in the Cairngorms

The Monsters take on Rain, Wind, and Clag in the Cairngorms

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Route description: An Socach from Glen Clunie

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar)

Date walked: 01/08/2011

Time taken: 4.9 hours

Distance: 17.4 km

Ascent: 708m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

And so after a rest day from Beinn a'Bleithir the Monsters were all ready to take on another Munro; easy they said... Undeterred by the rain, wind, and clag that they had so far avoided they were up for it... A quick safety briefing form Dad; stay in sight... Bla Bla Bla...

By now; it's a competitive sport this munro bagging malarky; with Monster Sam keen on the gender split... Team Boys he said; were much better than Team Girls...

I think it's all about the colours; the skittles shall we say; so before the off; Team Photos...

IMG_8969.jpg
Team Green...

IMG_8972.jpg
Team Blue...

Not long after the off and we encounter four large horses that seem to feature in all the TR's of this hill. Magnificent looking creatures...

IMG_8975.jpg

Megan wants to say hello; so off we go...

IMG_8981.jpg

And then the rain starts; personally I blame it on the Estate Owner / Farmer whom we met briefly at the start. I think it'll stay dry today he says. I'm not convinced; I'm certain we're in for a soaking today; and inside the first half hour we've already donned and removed waterproofs five times!!

Still the Monsters spirits are not dampened...

IMG_8982.jpg

Not long before we leave the track and head up the hill; it's not steep and there is a good path through the heather that alternates between good going and boggy underfoot; but on the whole I've walked in a lot worse...

IMG_8985.jpg

A refreshment stop is planned for the first cairn with normally banned Fruit Shoots and Lollies on offer we're there in no time; and three more showers...!

IMG_8993.jpg

The Monsters take to a spot of clambering on the Cairn; with Dad hoping he isn't set the task of rebuilding the thing...

IMG_9003.jpg

In no time at all we're on the summit of the first wee hill and just a few kilometres along a wide and very windy ridge separates the Monsters from Munro Number 4...

We just leave them to it; they seem to be getting along fine so Mum and Dad take the lead with the Monsters following on behind...

IMG_9007.jpg

The final race to the summit is won by Sam; not sure how he doesn't fall over with his less than convincing running style, but no worry...

IMG_9029.jpg

Both Monsters at the top; totally undeterred by the wind, rain and cloud; we're in splace the way they see it; just like an aeroplane... A good bite to eat; on the menu is Ham, Fruit Shoots, Muffins, and Crisps... Yum! Meanwhile Dad has a Stella and some Pastrami...

IMG_9043.jpg

Samba looking every bit comfortable in the mountains....

IMG_9049.jpg
Monster Sam looking cool... Easy!

Megan's summit shot...

IMG_9059.jpg

Only a 20 minute stop for lunch; it's freezing and the Monsters are getting cold, so time to start moving... We fairly bomb it down the track and from there it's just a 5 km walk or so down the valley to the car; Sam fairly running to keep up with his short legs... A good time I say; for a six year old; the 17.4 clicks done and dusted inside 5 hours...

IMG_9066.jpg
The long walk home...

The Stats...

IMAG1427.jpg

And the route...

2011 - 08 - 01 - An Socach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland