walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach

Liathach

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My new favourite hills.....where do you begin with this report??

We had a superb day with glorious blue skies and temperatures in the 20's. We had 2 cars so we dropped one off just off the road at the west side of Liathach and started our day at the east side.
DSCN4620.JPG
Liathach from the initial ascent
Leaving just east of Glen Cottage follow the obvious (steep) path all the way up to the ridge
DSCN4621.JPG
Taking a breather.....alright posing!
DSCN4628.JPG
The boys taking a breather!
and once there, I recommend turning east and less than 10 mins will take you to Stuc a' Choire Dhubh Bhig
DSCN4634.JPG
Sitting at the top of Stuc a' Choire Dhubh Bhig
where there were some magnificant view of Beinn Eighe.
DSCN4629.JPG
Steady!
DSCN4631.JPG
The views were breathtaking....

From this point, we followed the well worn ridge path over the two subsidiary tops before reaching the summit of the first Munro, Spidean a' Choire Leith.
DSCN4640.JPG
At the summit on Spidean
DSCN4633.JPG
Donny with Beinn Alligin in the background
DSCN4636.JPG
Next stop....Spidean a' Choire Leith
We took our time as the day was so clear we wanted to enjoy the views and spot as many Munro's as we could.
DSCN4635.JPG
Beinn Alligin

From the summit we headed straight down to the continuation of the ridge and decided it would be a shame on such a beautiful day not to enjoy the Fasarinen Pinnacles.
DSCN4648.JPG
Scrambling over the Fasarinen Pinnacles
DSCN4639.JPG
The view from Spidean out towards Mullach an Rathain and the Fasarinen Pinnacles
DSCN4642.JPG
A wee breather and top up the sun cream!
Some scrambling involved but I wouldn't say it was too technical.
DSCN4654.JPG
Looking back to Spidean along the ridge

From here, still following the path, this will take you up to the summit of the second Munro, Mullach an Rathain.
DSCN4655.JPG
Sitting at the top of Mullach
DSCN4643.JPG
After another 'moment' of viewing all the sights around us we headed off the hill down the loose scree (for about 400 m) to the exit path back to the car.

All in all a fantastic day. We were on Beinn Eighe last month with not very good views and we are back up next month to complete the trio on Beinn Alligin.
DSCN4656.JPG
Beinn Alligin again...next months walk!

Fingers crossed for another great day!
Last edited by Stuart Blakeley on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Liathath

Postby davetherave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Always enjoy reading peoples trip reports on Liathach. Have done both big hills either side. At the time decided to omit Liathach because we were unsure about the dog.

Glad you were rewarded with fantastic views.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby skuk007 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Great report and photos Stuart, like Dave said, never tire of reading about this one.
Looking at the smiley faces I can see you all had a great time.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby stomper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 am

Great report Liathach is my #1 favourite munro and 1 which i would love to do again &again in fact as i am up in Sept (finishing of Skye) i just might pop up and have another go
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Liathach

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 pm

My favourite hills so far as well and glad to see you got as good a day as i got when i did them
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland