walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello all

Hello all

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Hiya,

Just found this site and will spend a long time studying it. I have recently been bitten by the bug as they say.

I subscribed to Country Walking magazine just over 2 years ago and I seen this article about the "3 Peaks in 3 days". I pestered my wife until she agreed to come along with me and we started training. We tried the challenge in August 2008 but were beaten by Snowdon due to 90 miles an hour winds! We tried again earlier this month and we did it.

While training my wife bought me a book about the Munro's, so I decided to make that my next challenge. Might take me more than 2 years though.

I live near Bristol so getting to Scotland and back can be tough. I am very excited about starting my challenge so have booked a few days off in September to go to Crianlarich Youth Hostel and see if I can't bag Ben Vorlich, Ben Vane, Beinne Ime, Beinne Narnain, Ben Bhuidhe, and Ben Lomond (with The Cobbler thrown in if time permits). Here's hoping for good weather!

Well hope that is enough of an introduction, speak to you all soon I hope.

SK
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Hello all

Postby Michelle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Hello there SK, and welcome! I''ll be out in the hills in September as well, we'll keep our fingers crossed for that weather :D
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Welcome Skuk, it seems that biting bug is doing the rounds, it recently got me to! :D

Good luck if you're going to attempt all the munros, I'm unsure if I'll ever try and complete all 284 but who knows, only 283 to go :lol: . Who am I to give advice on completing them - but unless you have a VERY generous employer who counts your holidays in months, not days, and are very keen, it will surely be much more than 2 years.

I've heard most take an average of 8 years and I'm sure someone mentioned on here recently that over 100 seperate trips is what it could be.

What an adventure though :thumbup:

I'm curious, what book did your wife buy you?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:04 pm

It was titled "The Munros Scotland's Highest Mountains" and the author is Cameron McNeish. I love my photography so want to try and grab a few shots to equal those in the book.

This should be an address to it via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munros-Scotland ... 559&sr=1-1
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:53 pm

skuk007 wrote:It was titled "The Munros Scotland's Highest Mountains" and the author is Cameron McNeish. I love my photography so want to try and grab a few shots to equal those in the book.

This should be an address to it via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munros-Scotland ... 559&sr=1-1

Thanks Skuk, that's the one I got a copy of recently :D
Was just making sure i hadn't missed another good book.
HighlandSC

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 am

Welcome to the site SK :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby zebidee1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 am

Hello there, welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby JeCook » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm

What is the book like? Do you recomend it?
JeCook

Munros:40   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:27 pm

The originall poster, skuk007, will be better placed to answer this, as he seems to have formed various big plans for trips.

There will also be plenty of reviews on Amazon and such like, and perhaps other members on here can post their views on it - I'd be interested to hear.

Personnally speaking, I've not read the whole thing yet but it's a guide to all the Munros in Scotland, categorised by the different areas. There are good photos throughout, route descriptions, coordinates and approx times against all munros/routes. I guess you could think of it as a good general planner/idea generator for days out - once you've decided you would then need to go off and customise your plan and sort out the fine detail. Being someone new to the Munros I've found it a good help in just familiarising myself with the major different mountain ranges and their names.
HighlandSC

Postby walk aboot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi skuk007

I completed the Three Peaks in 24 hours Challenge as part of a fund-raiser with workmates in June. It certainly was an adventure with lots of laughs, but we all agreed afterwards that doing all three at a more leisurely pace is probably much nicer, with more time to enjoy these fantastic areas.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby skuk007 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi,

I would certainly recommend doing the 3 Peaks in 3 days if you are doing it for a personal challenge. It is certainly more leisurely, and you can stop more often to take photos. Still a lot of driving though. Most reviews of the 3 Peaks in 24 hours I have read state that Sca Fell Pike is climbed in the dark. I don't really see the point in that. If you are doing it for a good cause then fair enough but I like to take my time nowadays - it's not called a challenge for nothing I guess!

Re the book, as HighlandRC mentioned, it has plenty of good stats but no route planning in the detail needed to plan a route up some of these hills. It seems to have given me a general idea of how tough a certain Munro is but I haven't done any yet so not sure yet how acurate it is - ask me again in 3 weeks!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Postby munrowalker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm

HighlandSC wrote:The originall poster, skuk007, will be better placed to answer this, as he seems to have formed various big plans for trips.

There will also be plenty of reviews on Amazon and such like, and perhaps other members on here can post their views on it - I'd be interested to hear.

Personnally speaking, I've not read the whole thing yet but it's a guide to all the Munros in Scotland, categorised by the different areas. There are good photos throughout, route descriptions, coordinates and approx times against all munros/routes. I guess you could think of it as a good general planner/idea generator for days out - once you've decided you would then need to go off and customise your plan and sort out the fine detail. Being someone new to the Munros I've found it a good help in just familiarising myself with the major different mountain ranges and their names.

Its one of my main Munro books alongside Walking the Munros by Steve Kew. Good for planning routes if not near a pc. But too big to go into daypack! Some of the routes seem to bypass the most obvious paths though. Maybe there's a gap in the market for someone to do a lazy man's way of climbing the Munro's!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...