walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lucy, Me and the Cairnwell Three

Lucy, Me and the Cairnwell Three

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 02/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this was the day that I thought would never come, my daughter Lucy coming out on the hills with me. She has always shown an interest and had mentioned that she might come along but I didn't think she would actually do it. To be fair to her she was the same with running and once she came out with me a few times she got hooked and is now regularly seen pounding the streets of Rutherglen.

Anyway back to the hills. When I mentioned on the forum a while back that I was looking for some easy hills to climb, the fine fellow that is Leithy Suburbs suggested the Cairnwell Three. So that was to be our destination.

We were on our way by 7.15am and reached Glenshee about 9.30. Into the cafe for coffee and cakes and then we were off.

IMG_1550[1].JPG
Wearing borrowed clothes

'Mum are these walking poles just for show?'

'No, no you will be needing them later, trust me!'

As you can see from the photo, it was a bit dreich but I was hopeful it would brighten up later. As we passed one of the ski centre staff he asked us what our route was and told us to be mindful of coming off The Cairnwell because the scree was very slippy and someone had taken a bit of a tumble earlier. I reassured him that we would be careful and we would see him about 5ish. 'Yeah just in time for the sun to come out' he said! Crikey!! 'Hope he's wrong' I thought.

So it was up round the back of the restaurant and fairly easy climb up the track to Carn Aosda.

IMG_1559[1].JPG
No 1 for Lucy

We had a quick chat with a couple at the summit, they were just out to do a couple of hills and then heading home. They kindly took our photo and congratulated Lucy on her first munro.
me%20and%20lucy[1].JPG
Me and my baby

I asked Lucy if she wanted to head up to The Cairnwell first or head out to Carn a Gheoidh. She said she would rather get the further away one done next. We followed the bulldozed track until it ran out and then picked up a rather boggy path. We were distracted from the mud by the sight of the lovely Loch Vrotachan and stopped to watch a couple of people fishing down near the hut. By now the rain was really tipping down and I took a very quick photo of Lucy with the loch in the background.

IMG_1562[1].JPG
A very wet Lucy

Despite the rain we enjoyed the walk out and tried to follow the path as best as we could. After about 40 mins Carn nan Sac came into our misty view on our left-hand side and then in front of us was Carn a Gheoidh. After a steepish climb, using the poles!, we got up onto the stony plateau. We spotted a shelter and went over for a wee peek.
IMG_1564[1].JPG
Room for a small one?

Lucy led the way and was soon at summit number two.

IMG_1568[1].JPG

While Lucy sat in the shelter I wandered over to another cairn and tried to peer through the mist to get some kind of view but there was nothing!!!
IMG_1566[1].JPG

As we made our descent I asked what she thought of it all so far. She said that she was a bit disappointed at not having any views and she thought she would have seen some kind of wildlife. She was right it had been a bit on the boring side. I dug out the map and suggested that instead of retracing our steps we could return by another route. I did warn her that there may not be path and it would take us a wee bit longer. 'No, that's fine, I don't mind' Visibility had improved a bit so we headed south east towards Allt a Choire Dhirich. It was on the way down that we got the best treat of the day, a herd of about twenty deer right in front of us!!!! We stood completely still and as I reached into my pocket to get my iPhone to take a photo, a grouse came screeching out of the heather right beside us!!! I don't know who screamed loudest, me or Lucy but needless to say the deer vanished in a flash!!! I could have throttled that pesky bird, why do they do that???

Luckily we did catch sight of lots of hares and enjoyed watching their tails bobbing about the hillside. And of course we had the omnipresent frogs to freak us out. No problems getting photos of them!
IMG_1569[1].JPG

Time was getting on and with Carn nan Sac on our left and The Cairnwell on our right we followed the burn upstream. We had a really steep climb on some wet slippery stones and for the first time that day Lucy looked a bit uncomfortable. I told her to really use her poles and she was fine but a wee bit shaky. I checked on the GPS and we were now at 873m. With the summit of The Cairnwell at only 933m I told Lucy that there was hardly any more climbing to do.
' Mum do I really need to do it?' She wasn't whinging, she just didn't want to go to the top.
'No of course you don't'
I left her sitting happily on a rock and reassured her that I would away no more than 20 minutes. I left her my iPhone just in case!!!
IMG_0169[1].JPG

There is a good path here, so minus my rucksack I sprinted up to the summit, mmmmm not very impressive! Had a quick look for a trig point, couldn't see one and legged it back down. I had used my walking poles to mark the path that I used and sure enough I was back with Lucy in no time. We followed the path around the hill until the lovely Loch Vrotachan came back into view.
IMG_0173[1].JPG

We were soon back on the broad track and headed back to the ski centre pretty much the way we had come up.
IMG_0175[1].JPG

Although this wasn't the fastest or most direct route, I kept in mind what we had been told about the slippery scree and kept to the safer option. As our car came back into view the sun burst through the clouds and what time was it??? Five o'clock!!!!

And that was it, our adventure was over. Lucy managed 2.9 munros- what a girl! Once we were in clean dry clothes and on our way home I could relax a wee bit and enjoyed the journey. As for Lucy she was fast asleep in 5 minutes, no doubt dreaming about our next girls' day out- spa day followed by cocktails at the Corinthian! Bring on the robes and fluffy slippers :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Lucy, Me and the Cairnwell Three

Postby kevsbald » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:27 am

Well done Lucy! I thought maybe you had borrowed graeme's dug. They're not the best of hills but glad the grouse provided some excitement.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby andrewdoggett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:46 am

They do startle you when they come out close, those pesky birds, glad its not just me!

Next up, I'll lend you one of my fine days so Lucy gets some views, now, where to suggest, anywhere in the mamores id say...

Well done mum and Lucy!
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 am

kevsbald wrote:Well done Lucy! I thought maybe you had borrowed graeme's dug. They're not the best of hills but glad the grouse provided some excitement.

Thanks Kev. My wee Lucy is 21 so I bagged the name first!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 am

andrewdoggett wrote:They do startle you when they come out close, those pesky birds, glad its not just me!

Next up, I'll lend you one of my fine days so Lucy gets some views, now, where to suggest, anywhere in the mamores id say...

Well done mum and Lucy!

Cheers Andrew! She will be heading back to HeriotWatt in Gala soon. So maybe walk some of the Southern Upland Way with her :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gagfax » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 am

Aye a new walking mate, thats me chucked :lol: Well done to Lucy, tell her the rest are much better. Cant believe you didnt bag the top Carn Bhinnein though, you'll have to go back now. :lol:
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 am

gagfax wrote:Aye a new walking mate, thats me chucked :lol: Well done to Lucy, tell her the rest are much better. Cant believe you didnt bag the top Carn Bhinnein though, you'll have to go back now. :lol:

I think you're safe there Garry! You're not getting rid of me that easily!!! We may not have bagged that top but we did choose a much more difficult return route!!! Nae paths!!! Just hunners of heather!!! If I could figure out how to import our route I think even you would be impressed :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:37 am

Polly
Congrats to you and your daughter, good time had by all inspite of the weather. There is something "special" about being oot and aboot with your kids, but at the same time still thinking they're "little kids" and fretting. Parents huh!!! :lol:
PS Was the Corinthian agreed before or after the walk, if before, is that no cheating! :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:50 am

MarilynMunro wrote:Polly
Congrats to you and your daughter, good time had by all inspite of the weather. There is something "special" about being oot and aboot with your kids, but at the same time still thinking they're "little kids" and fretting. Parents huh!!! :lol:
PS Was the Corinthian agreed before or after the walk, if before, is that no cheating! :lol:

Thanks MM,

Oh fret I did!! Constantly looking behind me and checking the GPS !!!

I knew we couldnt get lost, not with the manky great transmitter at the top of The Cairnwell to guide us back, but I still worried none the less. I can tell you I was blur going up and back to the final summit. Just as well there was no one at the top , they would have thought I was really rude speeding past them and giving them nothing more than a quick wave :shock:

No Corinthian was discussed on the way back- honest!!! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Steve B » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 am

Not the best day for a first day out but at least she persevered, well done Lucy.
You seem to be ticking them Munros off regularly. Great effort Polly33 :D
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 am

Steve B wrote:Not the best day for a first day out but at least she persevered, well done Lucy.
You seem to be ticking them Munros off regularly. Great effort Polly33 :D

Thanks Steve,

She really is a sweetheart, never complains about anything. When I was moaning about the rain she said that was good because if was sunny we would have gotten too hot! We were paintballing on Saturday and despite taking a lot of sore hits she was still smiling and throwing herself about in the mud. I hid behind trees most of the time!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Nice report there polly,good to see you & your lassie out bashing the hills,always good when they take a wee interest,took my eldest up Ben Chonzie last year & her man took her up Asoda & Carn a Gheoidh a few weeks before that,but afraid she did not catch the bug.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:40 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Nice report there polly,good to see you & your lassie out bashing the hills,always good when they take a wee interest,took my eldest up Ben Chonzie last year & her man took her up Asoda & Carn a Gheoidh a few weeks before that,but afraid she did not catch the bug.

Thanks GLW,

Yes it was smashing to be out with her. I think she'll definitely come with me again and hopefully we'll get a clear day :lol:

Maybe your daughter will surprise you and get out on the hills again. Tell her its a great workout for her figure!!!! :?
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm

10 out of 10 for getting a youngster onto the hills, so come on how much did it cost you? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby berling-dk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 pm

So nice to do something together with family members. Getting us closer in a "mad" world !
Great to see that Your daughter wanted to do the walk, and in that "wet weather" !
Take care
Jesper
berling-dk
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland