walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Multiple sclerosis can not stop a walk, but .........

Multiple sclerosis can not stop a walk, but .........

Postby berling-dk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:54 am

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 31/05/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Even we are from Denmark, and the highest “mountain” is 170,86 m over sealevel, is it possible to walk the mountains in Scotland. And when the doctors say that a person with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) can`t do that kind of “exercise”, we just have to show them, that they are wrong.
It´s not the first walk we have done, so we now what terrain we can get.
The 30. of May, we started with two Danish friends, to walk to Bidean nam Bian. We parked in the vally, at the small car park.
There was a bit drizzling, but we have cheked a fantastic weather forecast weep page, http://wwwmountain-forecast.com, that the weather would be fine up in the mountains.
So we just got away. Down to the small bridge over the gorge and river Coe. Up by the deep gap/gorge, on the beautiful but wet and smooth path. We had to be carefull.
Halfway to the “Lost Vally” we wen´t into a small “cave”. It was raining a lot. After 15 minuts the flurry was over, and we went on.
We got to the “Lost Vally”. What a sight ! We felt that we went into another world. From the path in the narrow gap, and then up to a fantastic location. Open and “friendly”. It was a big open space after the walk at the narrow path.
We crossed the vally, and went over to the path towards “The Saddel” (the ridge). Our friends would not walk longer, and after a small meal break at the slope, overlooking “The Lost Vally”, they went down, and my wife and I went on.
The weather was now fantastic. A perfect weather to walk in. Just as the weather forecast page has told us.
Near “The Saddel” it was some scrambling, and my wife, that got the MS, was a bit “nervous”, but she just wanted to get to the sumit of Bidean nam Bian, so she overcame, and we got to the ridge, And what a sight we got ! Overlooking “The Lost Vally”, and the lakes and mountains around.
We sat for a snack and just enjoyed it.
After the break we continued the walk. Some places by a small path. Other places over big rocks an by deep slopes. The weather changed from sun, to misty, to cloudy, and back to sunny. It was a great experience for us danes from the flat country.
We reached the summit of Bidean nam Bian, and the view was indescribable. It was all worth it !
It was only the second time I was there, but last year I could only see my feets, so it was great to watch the scenery.
Our plans was to go over the ridge to Coire nan Lochan (where we was three years ago), but the weather now changed. My wife felt, that it could be too long for here, and there was a bit of snow, so we agreed to walk down the same way, as we got up.
Down over the summits, by the slopes, over the ridges to “The Saddle”, and then down towards “The Lost Vally”. It just went on without any problems. But after a bit in the scrambling, my wife lost here footing, and slid. I could see that she was in pain, but what could we do all alone. We didn`t panic at any time. We tried to get down by the path to “The Lost Vally”. I try to carried here on my back. After some time, there came a couple. They saw at once that we where in trouble, and they went down to the valley to call for help.
The accident happened about 2 o´clock pm, and about 6 o´clock pm there came seven fantastic persons from “Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team”. We was at that point quite tired, and very happy to get the help. After a quick examination of here leg and foot, they called for a rescue helicopter.
It flew to the hospital at Fort William, where they found that there was three fractures in the ankle.
We can only say, that people do not worry to do the walk, We was just unfortunate that an accident will happen, and it could easily had happen in the street or other places.
But until the accident, it has been a great walk, in one of the most beatuifull places. I`m sure that we will back. Perhaps my wife won´t do that walk again, but there are others.
And finally a very big THANKS to all the people that helped us, when we needed it !
Attachments
IMG_8136.JPG
At the start. We was going left, to the Lost Vally.
IMG_8137.JPG
The wonderfull picturesque sight - The Vally of Glencoe.
IMG_8138.JPG
The path at "the forrest" up by the gorge to the Lost Vally.
IMG_8154.JPG
The waterfall at the gorge.
IMG_8156.JPG
The path towards the Lost Vally.
IMG_8203.jpg
Crossing the waterfall.
IMG_8219.jpg
Nearly at the Lost Vally - overlooking the Vally of Glencoe.
IMG_8231.jpg
Lunch break overlooking the Lost Vally - so nice !
IMG_8235.jpg
Break at "the saddel" / the ridge after a bit of scrambling.
IMG_8243.jpg
Overlooking the ridge and Stob Coire Sgreamhach.
IMG_8245.jpg
Looking over one of the "sisters" and Stob Coire nan Lochan.
IMG_8258.jpg
A fantastic view over the Highland.....
IMG_8271.jpg
What a view over the ridge.
IMG_8283.jpg
In the mist nearly at the summit.
IMG_8293.jpg
At the summit of Bidean nam Bian - what a achievement with M S !
IMG_8298.jpg
Way down from the summit.
IMG_8313.jpg
Some places it was a struggle with the rocks.
IMG_8336.jpg
Trying to fly ? Not yet - later !
IMG_8359.jpg
Lookin up towards the summit of Bidean nam Bian.
IMG_8364.jpg
Down from "the Saddel". On the ridge are the people that later alerted the rescue.
IMG_8377.jpg
Not even the rainbow, could make the pain go away from a triple ankle fracture - it´s only 30 min ago !
IMG_8383.jpg
Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team in action - GREAT TEAM !
IMG_8390.jpg
Down to the rescue helicopter in the Lost Vally.
IMG_8398.jpg
Royal Navy Rescue Helicopter from Prestwick
IMG_8401.jpg
A way to Fort William hospital - a day in the moutains we never will forget....
Last edited by berling-dk on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
berling-dk
Munro compleatist

Re: Multiple sclerosis can not stop a walk, but .........

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:01 pm

i hope your wife is on the mend.

Its a great walk but the scree climb up/down to/from the bealach can be dangerous.

I did the walk in winter a from coire nan lochan and couldnt get down to the lost valley due to cornices.

Keep safe and happy walking.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby skuk007 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Blimey what an exciting walk you had, hope your wife is feeling much better and this hasn't put her off walking in the hills. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby neilmci » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 am

A dayout not to forget.

Hope your wife makes a full recovery.

I have climbed up that scree gulley in the past and it was hard going, however we did the clockwise route over Stob Coire nan Lochan to get down. I think that this is the opposite way to the route decribed on the website.

I was quite surprised at the number of people that we spoke to that were planningto decend into the scree.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby Gable Gable End » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 am

looked like a great walk up to the accident and major props to the Glencoe MRT for a job well done!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby sloosh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Get well soon, wife! :(

That's some achievement with MS! :thumbup:

What an adventure!

Oh, and great pics. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Greigers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 am

amazing story lol and great bravery soldiering on with fractures you should of been born a SCOT! :D
Greigers
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 am

Well done guys for not only managing to complete a difficult walk but also submitting a fantastic report with stunning photographs.

Get well soon wishes to your lovely wife and please come back to Scotland soon.

Held og lykke, God bedring :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ColinB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello to the Danes, you kept this quiet, when did you put this wonderful report on, I only found out today when one of my work colleagues who is hoping to climb Bidean tomorrow told me about it.
Shirley and I think the photos are fantastic, nice to see them together with you account of a day you will both remember for a long time, Colin & Shirley
ColinB
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland