walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hope

Ben Hope

Postby csimbad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 01/08/2011

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 6.37 km

Ascent: 916m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Intensions were to head up North for a couple of nights to do a couple of Munros so decided to go for Ben Hope first. Arrived there at 4pm with very poor visibility but I had hoped it would pass. So me and the dog were off on up, a bit wet for a start after that quite a pleasant walk would have been even better if I could have seen something but it was stil warm and very peacefull up there which was good Didn't take to long to get up top so didn.t hang about and was off on back down, it did offer to clear now and again on the way down but once back at the car it turned pretty nasty and so did the midgies they all clung on to the dog and when we got the dog back in the car they were every where so all windows were opened to try and blow them out whilst driving, Once at Tongue we were chatting to one of the locals who said it was more like cleggy's than midgies that were bitting as he had to run inside from cutting his hedge as it was that bad. So with the weather and beastie's getting worse the wife and I decided to forget campimg and just head back home and return later in the year. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP1532.JPG
IMGP1534.JPG
IMGP1536.JPG
IMGP1537.JPG
IMGP1539.JPG
IMGP1540.JPG
IMGP1541.JPG
IMGP1544.JPG
IMGP1547.JPG
IMGP1548.JPG
IMGP1549.JPG
IMGP1556.JPG
IMGP1558.JPG
IMGP1561.JPG
IMGP1562.JPG
IMGP1566.JPG
IMGP1569.JPG
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Hope

Postby aimeequicks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

You made short work of that! It took me at least double your time last August. The descent was particularly time consuming.
aimeequicks
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby GariochTom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 am

You must be a quick walker! Shame about the bad visibility and clegs - it's definitely a hill worth going back to in good weather as the views from the top are outstanding.

Very photogenic dog! Looks just like my parents' German shepherd - would love to take him for walks up munros but unfortunately they live 500 miles away....
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby csimbad » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:42 am

I didn't hang about aimeequicks I could see worse weather coming so got up and down as quick as I could. I didn't find the descent to bad not until the bottom section anyway the steepest part. :)
aimeequicks wrote:You made short work of that! It took me at least double your time last August. The descent was particularly time consuming.
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks GariochTom, was hoping for the views but still enjoyed it will be returning soon I hope. The dog loves it up there although she struggles now and again on the bigger walks so tend just to take her on the smaller ones. :)
GariochTom wrote:You must be a quick walker! Shame about the bad visibility and clegs - it's definitely a hill worth going back to in good weather as the views from the top are outstanding.

Very photogenic dog! Looks just like my parents' German shepherd - would love to take him for walks up munros but unfortunately they live 500 miles away....
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:40 pm

What on earth was the dog looking at - Rich tea biscuits? :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland