walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jings, crivens, help ma boab, whit a day

Jings, crivens, help ma boab, whit a day

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 23/07/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 985m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whit a day, started off didn't look too bad, so so forecast, but set off with my son, Chris and optimism and the intention to climb Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin. Parked up and on our way from the layby just by the humpback bridge near Ardvorlich House, only off road parking and quite a few fishermen around. Tried to get a first look at where we were headed, clue number one. :(
From the loch side, can't see a thing.JPG

Our destination somewhere up in the mist.
Headup the track towards the farmhouse
The friendly locals have given me signposts so I dont get lost, or stray onto to their land "Oi get orf my land"
:?
very helpful landowners.JPG

and again.JPG

Once you've followed the signs, follow the path around and up leaving Ardvorlich house behind, just before a stile/gate on your left is a gate leading into the trees and path to the burn leading down to the loch for a nice little excursion.

Just after the house, on left hand side, a gate leads into this little glen and footbridge, not part of ascent path.JPG

Once back on the track, carry on past the stiles and the track climbs steadily until the fork, taking the right hand side continue on up. There was so much cloud around couldn't really see much at all, kinda just kept climbing. In parts the path is well maintained with stepping stones, but other areas are badly eroded.
Up there, somewhere !!.JPG

View back to Loch Earn.JPG

As we climbed we looked over to Coire Buidhe and could just make out the path for our return.I found this part of the walk a LITTLE tiring, but we soon cleared the cloud cover and made the top, really couldn't see a thing at this stage, so one summit photo and we headed off for Stuc a'Chroin.
By the summitTrig point.JPG

Down to the bealach.JPG

The directions, as ever, from WH were spot on and we easily made our way down to the bealach, by now the cloud cover was almost constant and we couldn't see the summit, and the path after the boulder field was pretty hard to make out.
We decided to press on and see how things went!!!
Stuc a'Chroin, over there I think.JPG

Boulder field in the centre of photo, then scrambling just above.JPG

After clearing the boulder field, the path hugs the side of the hill with handwork here and there. Soon came to a part of the path that needed the use of my bum to slip across some flats, by this time things were getting a little slippy and for me a lot HAIRY. I'd seen reports with no mention of scrambling and some people saying they did it without the use of hands. All i can say is I must have took a wrong turning somewhere, cos we got to a bit were for me it was time call it a day. I'll qualify that by saying that the last time i climbed anything with the use of hands was over a wall, nicking Strawbs from an old neighbour when I was a kid :lol:
Chris didn't want to leave his old man behind so we decided to attempt the scree route, but we looked at the time and decided to just head back. Fairly disappointed, we headed over the bog to catch the path.
That was easier said than done, a total bog fest ensued, glastonbury without the music or hallucinogenic drugs. Seemed to take ages to gain what is playfully called a track, only in Scotland can you find a slope which holds so much water :lol:
And to cap it all just as we started into Coire Buidhe the heavens opened up, so it was constant rain all the way back to the car. All in all not a very fruitfull day. Stretched the legs, didn't see much at all, bottled it on SaC, upto ankles in bog, and then soaked for good measure.
But hey if it was Starbucks at the top, cable cars n escalators and those little fish too nibble your feet back to life at the bottom, we wouldn't do it.
Got dried off at the car then it was time to drive around to St Fillans for a pint and home.
The day wasn't the best but I m still trying to figure out how I feel about it overall, glad I got out and about, brassed off didn't get up SaC, WEATHER, well thats just Scottish hills, the bogfest - could've done without that, maybe missed the views the most, hey its not going anywhere.
One thing I would add for anyone else wanting to this, don't take my word for the scambling aspects, I'm a bit of a woos and the return track from the bottom of the scree to contour around the hill, make sure you gain the bealach and dinnae try the bogs. As the wise man said "stay on the path and off the moors"
Last edited by MarilynMunro on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Jings, crivens, help ma boab, whit a day

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Another fine report MM,shame you did not get to the sumit of Stuc "a Chroin,the good thing is you now get too go back :D ,you could climb Stuc from Glen Ample,by going over Ben Each first,this is the way I went,best of luck anyway
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jwramsay » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:49 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another fine report MM,shame you did not get to the sumit of Stuc "a Chroin,the good thing is you now get too go back :D ,you could climb Stuc from Glen Ample,by going over Ben Each first,this is the way I went,best of luck anyway

Another vote for this route!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Cheers GLW, I 'll be back to work soon, but maybe get a crack at your suggested route next time I'm home, you're right I would like to see what the top is like. By the way thanks for the advice re the wee bookil, forgot to say I took up your tip to try it, that was a great day out, with probably the best views I've had yet.
JW, If I manage this route Ill remember to give it a nod.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby BlairYompers » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 pm

looks good we have these two planned for the 20th august :D hope to god its nicer weather so we can get the two
BlairYompers
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Smashing report MM,

The very thing happened to me when I attempted both. Slippery rocks are scary things, especially when the most of the hill is covered in mist and you haven't got a clue what you're meant to be heading for. I'll be heading back for this one but definitely in better conditions!!!! :D

P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:26 am

Nice one MM, shame about the rubbish weather and not getting to reach Stuc a'Chroin.

I might have been one of those guilty ones who mentioned not having to use hands much :oops: sorry, but then I did have clear views and had it a bit easier than yourself.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:48 am

BlairYompers wrote:looks good we have these two planned for the 20th august :D hope to god its nicer weather so we can get the two

It is a good hill in my opinion, obviously couldn't comment on the views, but hope you get better weather, also don't be put off by my woos like properties, as I tried to tell myself the bit I didn't like "was like climbing over the back of the sofa"unfortunately the sofa was on the roof of my house ha ha

pollyh33 wrote:Smashing report MM,

The very thing happened to me when I attempted both. Slippery rocks are scary things, especially when the most of the hill is covered in mist and you haven't got a clue what you're meant to be heading for. I'll be heading back for this one but definitely in better conditions!!!! :D

P X

Thats it in a nutshell Polly, like you Ill be heading back, I'm sure it'll fit in somewhere among the other 280 :lol:

skuk007 wrote:Nice one MM, shame about the rubbish weather and not getting to reach Stuc a'Chroin.

I might have been one of those guilty ones who mentioned not having to use hands much :oops: sorry, but then I did have clear views and had it a bit easier than yourself.

No worries on that score, I think its all about confidence and perspective, I never thought I would have baulked at that point, but now I know my capabilties for now and will have to try and do something about it, not saying I'll be doing the Needle or ImPin anytime soon , but onward and upward :?
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby rennyrambles » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Doing this route tomorrow. Glad I read your report!
rennyrambles

Munros:36   Corbetts:2

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:47 pm

rennyrambles wrote:Doing this route tomorrow. Glad I read your report!

Hope you have a good one :)
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Nice one, very amusing. Agree about the helpful landowners, though they are only being helpful to themselves so as you put it so they don't have to shout "Oi get orf my land" :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby neilmci » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:28 am

I had similar problems going up SaC in similar conditions.

I lost the path on th eboulder field and then scrambled up the face.

There were sections where it looked like a path was starting but then it just disappeared again just as quick.

I had a few moments where I was regretting taking this route, but i pressed on an was relieved to arrive at the first summit - albeit with muddy knees and a slight rip in the trousers!

HAnds were most definitely required!!

I would need to go up there again in better weather to see where the real path goes.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 am

Yeah Bod's just posted a TR showing an "easy", listen to me!, route to SaC top, hoping it was just the weather that ruined my day. The path isn't the most distinct, will have to revisit this one day.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland