walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

20 Stone and Made it

20 Stone and Made it

Postby Cannon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 04/08/2011

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1558m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Every year a friend and i seek out a adventure and send out an invite to all our other friends and their friends. I stumbled on the Ben Nevis by the Carn Mor Dearg Arete walk and thought that we should go for it.

8 People signed up all with different fitness levels and in July we set off!

We created a video of the weekend.

Please enjoy and comment on the Youtube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4vqdurbO8[/youtube]
Last edited by Cannon on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cannon
Munro compleatist

Re: 20 Stone and Made it

Postby magicdin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:22 pm

One question - where did you acquire the firewood ?
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:12 pm

One (more) question from me - what the blazes is in that rucksack the fella with the grey tshirt is humping, you taking the piano back up the Ben !!! :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Very well filmed video :D - looks like you all enjoyed this adventure. What was your last one?

firewood

Dead wood :think: - worth checking out the following site if wildcamping:
Official guidelines on wild camping
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 pm

The date is wrong at the beginning :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Love the vid!!! Looks like you guys had a blast 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Cannon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:20 pm

magicdin wrote:One question - where did you acquire the firewood ?

Hey Magicdin, we stayed about 35 minutes south of Glen Nevis at a camp site called Red Squirrel. We tend to look for campsites that allow fires. The wood was provided free but it was a bit wet. Couple of Bags of kindling later roaring fire.

The camp site was friendly, beautiful, clean and about 3 meters deep for swimming. The campsite was well worth the drive to the mountain.

http://www.redsquirrelcampsite.co.uk
Cannon
Munro compleatist

Postby Cannon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:One (more) question from me - what the blazes is in that rucksack the fella with the grey tshirt is humping, you taking the piano back up the Ben !!! :lol:

Hi MarilynMunro, God yes. We took the micky with him with that! The truth is we are all unprepared and ambitious. The bag was the only bag he had, and it was his first walk. Truth is... it was mostly empty.
Cannon
Munro compleatist

Postby Cannon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Very well filmed video :D - looks like you all enjoyed this adventure. What was your last one?

firewood

Dead wood :think: - worth checking out the following site:
Official guidelines on wild camping

Hey Paul,

The last adventure was Scarfell Pike http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes1.htm. This was also challenging but not to the Scale of his!

We camped at the farm mentioned at the start of this walk. Fires also allowed with most of the wood coming from a dry river (in the summer) that carried drift wood down over winter.

My friend will be chuffed when he sees you liked how the video looks. As for enjoying this adventure, i am the Big guy in the stupid brown hat in the video, i found it really hard. I learnt a lot about ambition, my limits and my determination. All in all it was a life memorable experience for me. Or yes i enjoyed it :-)
Cannon
Munro compleatist

Postby Cannon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 pm

rocket-ron wrote:The date is wrong at the beginning :D

Ha Ha Ha. I know and my friend is frustraited by this... but not enough to change it!

It was in July
Cannon
Munro compleatist

Postby Cannon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:41 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Love the vid!!! Looks like you guys had a blast 8)

Hey, LomondWalkers

It was great fun, we took the time on the Friday to look around Fort William and go the the Ben Nevis Scotch distillery, a bit of R&R before the climb. i recommend that all visitors go here just to see the bad acting in the opening film! Sooo Funny

That said well done Hecter McDram!
Cannon
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Well done guys great video ,that climb up from the hut to carn mor dearg is torture but once you'reon the ridge concentration takes over and you forget how knackered you are :lol: best way to do the ben and you had a great day for it as well,nice one lads :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby davetherave » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 am

Cannon

I just loved your movie, very entertaining indeed...... keep them coming,. I would happily watch them when ever. Well done to you and your mates for managing this route.
We have still to complete this route. Well done again, you picked what looked like a great walk with fine weather.

I thought that was ace.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:00 am

Was brill, I've tried to shoot bits of video and know how much effort it takes to make it look good (I never managed it :lol: ) with the imaginative camera angles; the music was good too, love the way the pics were timed to go with the fast and slow bits :thumbup:

pigeon wrote:that climb up from the hut to carn mor dearg is torture

Yeah - I think we are going to re-do the CMD arete at some point and change the start to the new(ish) North Face car park which will mean avoiding that climb - better views and the only disadvantage maybe is not visiting the CIC hut.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Cannon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 am

davetherave wrote:Cannon

I just loved your movie, very entertaining indeed...... keep them coming,. I would happily watch them when ever. Well done to you and your mates for managing this route.
We have still to complete this route. Well done again, you picked what looked like a great walk with fine weather.

I thought that was ace.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

My friend Tim created this video and i have pointed him at this forum to read all the great comments. As for creating more videos, i think the next adventure is likely to be a kayak trip in Wales. Not sure Tim will want to risk his camera near the water.

We were so lucky with the weather. It rained hard on the drive up to the Camp site, and then had beautiful weather.

I wish you all the best when you take on this route, one tip from me, take plenty of water, I ran out and struggled. In hindsight i would have filled up at the Hut! 1Idiot!
Cannon
Munro compleatist

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland