walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Feshie munros

Glen Feshie munros

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 08/05/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 2nd May.
Weather: classic spring day - sun, wind and showers (a mixture of snow, hail and rain but only for very short periods).

These hills would be a good introduction to the Cairgorms. Route finding is easy due to Landrover tracks and paths throughout.

The carpark near Auchlean was full when I arrived about 10:30am. I was intending to do both these munros unless conditions up top were really bad - they weren't. The tarmac ends at Auchlean and the path heads pretty much straight up Sgor Gaoith, initially through pine woods then over heathery hillsides. The mixture of sun, cloud and wind was playing havoc with my layering and resulted in frequent stops to adjust clothing. However, the gradient was that almost perfect angle where height and distance are gained very easily.

Glen Feshie.jpg

90minutes brisk walking brought me onto the plateau just below the summit of Carn Ban Mor. From here it was an easy walk to the summit of SG perched spectacularly above Loch Einich and with great views over to Braeriach. I sat here and had some lunch overlooking Coire Odhar.

Glen and Loch Einich.jpg

By the time I got going again, I had cooled down and the wind and a hail shower prompted me to don my balaclava, both fleeces and waterproof trousers. Ahead of me now was the 7.5km walk across Moine Mhor to Mullach Clach a' Bhlair. Fortunately I could see the whole route - I imagine this would be a pretty dull trudge in a pea soup. I was happy to have left the crowds behind - of the many people on SG only a few were making the walk to MCaB. The views to the "backside" of Braeriach were impressive and I made a decision to do it from the Loch Einich approach in the summer.

Braeriach.jpg

Sgor Gaoith from Moine Mhor.jpg

Mullach Clach a' Bhlair from Moine Mhor.jpg

Luck seemed to be on my side as several hail showers passed by on either side of me. About 2 hours walking (with the occasional break) from SG brought me to the unassuming top of MCaB, which I had to myself. There were views south to Beinn Dearg in Atholl and I could trace the bizarre course of the River Feshie to its' source.

Now I had the longish walk back to the car. I descended along the Landrover track on the western side of MCaB cutting off to the north just before the forest is reached. This path is not marked on the Landranger map but it is a slight shortcut compared to following the track right down to the river. I passed through some lovely old pine woods before entering the newer plantations below Meall nan Sleac. A couple of the forest tracks required a little blind faith but I knew I was going in pretty much the right direction. By the time I emerged at the Allt Garbhlach the sun was shining and it was a lovely evening. I stripped off several layers and converted my trousers into shorts for the final 2km by the River Feshie to the carpark.

Distance covered: 23-24km. Height gain: approx 980m. Time: approx 8 hours.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Glen Feshie munros

Postby Myth » Fri May 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Nice report, and great photos of what can be fairly uninsipingly undulating lumps - thanks. My last visit was a pea soup, but thankfully I wasn't the navigator - fairly sure I would have missed the summits by a good margin that day - or probably have turned back truth be told.

I think you're brave to consider Braeriach from this side - it's always a long walk in from anywhere, but the other approaches are to my mind more picturesque - no doubt we'll see when you're report comes in if it's one to try!
Myth

Postby mountain coward » Sat May 09, 2009 2:59 am

DAMN! I was literally waiting for my photos to write a report on those! :(
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Sat May 09, 2009 7:45 am

DAMN! I was literally waiting for my photos to write a report on those!

No harm in another! I love Sgor Gaoith, the summit is one of my favourite places in the Cairngorms. Coire Ghobhlach is great too. Good report as well.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat May 09, 2009 3:27 pm

RE: Braeriach

The long walk doesn't really phase me. I guess I'm just trying to get a away from some of the typical "baggers" routes (not that there is anything wrong with them). I have a real need for the solitude and that sense of wilderness which you can only get with certain routes. I have been up to the top of the Lairig Ghru and through the Chalamain Gap so doing something a bit different is also part of the attraction. As ever with such walks, the weather will play a large part in deciding whether it is a day to savour or simply survive!
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Paul Webster » Sat May 09, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm planning in the next couple of months to climb Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain from this side, not so eccentric as doing Braeriach maybe; a long walk across a huge plateau at such an altitude does have an attraction.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Sat May 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Nice pictures and report I've yet to visit this area walking looking forward to it :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby goth_angel » Mon May 11, 2009 1:11 pm

mountain coward wrote:DAMN! I was literally waiting for my photos to write a report on those! :(

Were you up there that day as well? So was I! Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to miss the hail shower but it cleared. Views from the summit of SG were fab. :D
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 am

Nope was a couple of weeks ago now. Had good weather as in sunny but cold but not windy for a change. It just rained slightly towards the end on the top next to Sgorr Gaoith but cleared up before I dropped down to do the 2 tops below it on the way back (I went the other way round to you). Some of us must bump into each other sometimes though!
mountain coward

Postby holtlynx » Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 pm

I did Braeriach from the Einich side last summer and thought it was a great way in - but that maybe becasue we biked in from Whitewell almost to the outflow from the loch, about 7k of the 11k of the whote route. Pretty rideable path all the way - a bit stony towards the upper part. Had planned to go further round the plateau, but the mist started to come down so we bore off to the Einich cairn and came down round the head of Glen Einich, where there is a steep but serviceable path. The ride up was quite hard work but, believe me, the ride down, was sheer heaven. Very satisfactory day.
holtlynx

Postby andrew11 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm intending to do these two soon so thanks for a great report!

I was thinking of doing them in the opposite order. What do you think?
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Braeriach from Glen Feshie is a great route, but if you ever have the time, energy and weather, try it from Glen Feshie, along with Angels Peak and Cairn Toul. If it's solitude you want, you'll get it out there - just pick a long and sunny day.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10613
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland