walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis & cmd arete

Ben Nevis & cmd arete

Postby valmar1965 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 5.46 hours

Distance: 19.84 km

Ascent: 1556m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCF0002.JPG
lets get going looks like a good walking day (nice & peaceful)
DSCF0006.JPG
ok its a good walking day but not so peaceful
DSCF0011.JPG
the castle
DSCF0014.JPG
the castle2
:D
DSCF0018.JPG
wow this more like it
DSCF0025.JPG
looking back to carn dearg meadhonach
DSCF0026.JPG
will the cloud lift
DSCF0027.JPG
looking towards An Gearansch & An Garbhanach
DSCF0028.JPG
lets arete
DSCF0039.JPG
start of cmd arete feeling good
DSCF0041.JPG
still areteing (is that a word) still feeling good
DSCF0049.JPG
after the next part of the walk perhaps i should have taken this route
DSCF0051.JPG
path what path?
:lol:
DSCF0054.JPG
is this the summit
:(
DSCF0057.JPG
well built cairns (must get the builders name)
[attachment=1]DSCF0058.JPG[/attachment

a great walk in 3 parts

part 1
arrive at start point not a cloud in the sky (will it be to hot?) raymie replies its never to hot (he works on an oilrig offshore from isreal 25c is cold) got lots of water (yes) raymie says "there are lots walking today" start to notice flip/flops trainers etc (lots of new walking shoes)

part 2
take the path to avoid the tourist/mountain/pony track by up towards the cic hut & get quick bite to eat before the walk up to carn mor dearg(what a slog) another quick stop on the summit (after hearing climbers from the cliffs shouting BELOW & hearing the sound of rocks thundering down /I was slacking back to give some 6 young ladies some moral support (are we nearly there yet) or vice vera & we all stopped & looked & said have they fallen of the cliff (all safe But not my idea of fun) munro 29 bagged walk along cmd ridge (best views ever) clamber up onto the summit of ben nevis(Munro No 30) & meet the crowds

part 3
what a great walk loved it all & well done to all that made it to the summit especially the charity walkers (my little moan do not go onto the hills unprepared as we arrived back at the carpark the rescue helicopter flew over twice to remove walkers from the summit)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF0058.JPG
lets get off of this mountain before the rush hour
valmar1965
Munro compleatist

Munros:38   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Nevis & cmd arete

Postby Ray Mackay » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:27 pm

So glad we took the Arete route and bagged Carn Mor Dearg, although the climb up to the summit from the hut, as you said, was a hell of a slog, almost as bad as the slog up the final climb up the boulders to the Ben summit,

Now i knew the tourist trail was going to be busy with charity walkers and inexperienced walkers but i was flabergasted by some, who, on a very hot day (even for me) were very ill prepare, no hydration and poor footware the worst 2 pointers,

seeing a bloke in a mankini, a lady breast feeding at the side of the path and believe it or not, Jesus Christ walking past in sandals and a large wooden cross over his shoulders,fair play to him, never thought i would see that walking a Munro

but asides from that the walk around the Arete was fantastic, wasn't it neighbour, not one for the old dog (Keisha) but the views were as Irn-Bru put it 'Phenominal' great day out
Ray Mackay
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland