walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mor Dearg & Ben Nevis from Inverness!

Postby mountainstar » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 23/07/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1600m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

28k (17.5m) 1600 meters. 10 hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My last day of the Great Glen Way, and I thought it was about time I went up high, and take some pictures as well! So far I had taken only 2 photo’s in 5 days! :( One of Loch Ness...sadly no monster! :twisted: and one of the floating pub at Laggen Lochs. Not a trek for photos this time, the reasons (or excuses) are that half the time you are walking through forest tracks, and also the weather conditions were a bit “flat” for good pictures. But for our last day the forecast was good, so Carn Mor Dearg & Ben Nevis seemed to fit in well on my walk to Fort William from Spean Bridge.
With an 6 mile walk before I got to the usual start of the walk at the North Face car park, I was eager to get away and go at a fairly fast pace. I walked with my wife for the first 3 or 4 miles, then chomping at the bit I left her and sped ahead, by now any early cloud was clearing nicely, and as I walked up from the car park, the skies were blue, the sun was shining and I was sweating!

Loch Linnhe (600 x 355).jpg

I refilled with water before leaving the burn, but was surprised to find a good supply of water running down from CMD’s northern slopes quite high up.

Ben Nevis, North Face (600 x 450).jpg

Ben Nevis, Tower Ridge (2) (527 x 600).jpg

Ben Nevis, North Face (2) (600 x 450).jpg

Ben Nevis, Tower Ridge (345 x 600).jpg

Ben Nevis, North Face (3) (600 x 450).jpg

Well I may have started last and a long way behind anyone else, but I soon passed a group of several halfway up, and again met around 6 more on the summit….there’s still life in the old dog yet! :D

Carn Mor Dearg (600 x 365).jpg

Carn Mor Dearg, Summit. (600 x 323).jpg

Carn Mor Dearg, Arete (600 x 376).jpg

The views were fantastic…. the Arête looked very sporting, the North face of the Ben awesome, Tower Ridge still looked terrific (I did it last October) and the views of near and far mountains went on and on, as far as it is possible to see. :D

Carn Mor Dearg, Arete (2) (600 x 450).jpg

Carn Mor Dearg, Arete (3) (600 x 450).jpg

Carn Mor Dearg, Arete (4) (600 x 450).jpg

Carn Mor Dearg, Arete (5) (600 x 318).jpg

Ben Nevis. (600 x 450).jpg

Carn Mor Dearg, Arete (6) (600 x 303).jpg

I enjoyed the scramble along the arête, never too difficult, but exposed enough to give me a sense of daring.

Arete leading to Ben Nevis (600 x 450).jpg

I hadn’t forgotten how steep it was from the bealach, but had forgotten how boulder covered it was….my first time on this route was over 20 years ago, so the memory had faded, and the last time was about 5 years ago in winter, when this was just a long uniform snow slope with no indication of rocks and boulders beneath the frozen snow.
Hard work, more sweat and toil got me to the swarming (with people) summit.

Ben Nevis, summit (600 x 284).jpg

Ben Nevis, Tower Ridge (3) (600 x 384).jpg

I had a break slightly away from the crowds near the edge of the North Face, two other walkers came and sat nearby and asked if I could take their picture, so stood on a large boulder with their backs to the cliffs, I jokingly said “move further back so I can get you in” Oh they smiled as they went over the edge! Only joking again, I quickly shouted DON’T! Just in case they did! at least it put a natural smile on their faces. :lol:

Tourists decending (2) (600 x 266).jpg

Tourists decending (600 x 327).jpg

One for the ladies! (600 x 417).jpg

2 hours later I was at the bottom by the Ben Nevis Inn, after passing hundreds going down and still hundreds going up (even very low down at such a late time of the day…around 5.30pm)
Another 25 minutes I was in the centre of Fort William….The Great Glen Way finished off the hard way! :thumbup: :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Carn Mor Dearg & Ben Nevis from Inverness!

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Now that's what I call photos!!!

Brilliant stuff. Haven't climbed Nevis via CMD but I really want to now!!!!

PS thanks for final photo :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby colgregg » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Great report. The CMD Arete looks stunning. Like Polly I too want a bit of that. Can't say the same for the near naked walkers, some folk have no decorum.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 am

Alaways running away from your poor wife :shock:

Nice way to end your journey.

CMD is fab - not that you remembered :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountainstar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 pm

dooterbang wrote:Alaways running away from your poor wife :shock:

Yep, and usually bumping into you :( :wink:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby walk aboot » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Wow, looks like you had a fantastic day for it, mountainstar 8) . That is a LOT of people too :shock: .

Thanks so much for the last photo of the men in skimpy knickers :D :D :D
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby monty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Excellent Report mountainstar. Unusual start point :lol: Your photos are excellent. Were you also wearing briefs with your mates :lol: :lol: Looks like a tesco's till que on the tourist route :shock:
monty

Postby morag1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Great report and photos of the CMD, didnt realise the Ben was so crowded, would make me feel claustrophobic that :(

gentlemen, if you are going to climb hills in your underpants at least do the decent thing and wear black Calvin Kleins :thumbup:
morag1

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Good stuff Alan, well done to you and the Mrs doing the GGW and yourself finishing it the hard way :thumbup: Looks a cracking day to be on the Ben.... but men in knickers!?!? :wtf: I'd have shifted up a gear to get past 'em too :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Cannon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Seems that we both climbed the same route at the same time. Congrats and didn't we just luck out on the weather.

Cannon http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13977
Cannon
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland