walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two from Glen Lochay

Two from Glen Lochay

Postby pigeon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Route description: Sgiath Chùil and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 05/08/2011

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1105m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Original plan today was Ben Starav but with only a 30 per chance of cloud free tops in that area i decided on a change of plan.These 2 hills were closer to home and according to reports this walk is less boggy than the glen dochart approach,so it was up early and got to the new car park area at 7 30.
001.JPG
kenknock farm
004.JPG
ford at lubchurran
Was a bit worried about the ford at lubchurran but it was fine and soon was heading up the track behind the house
005.JPG
lubchurran farmhouse with meall a churain in background
Follow the track for a bit then cut over past a couple of old shielings and start climbing the grassy slopes to gain the ridge to meall a churain
008.JPG
Driizled a bit here but thankfully it stayed dry for the rest of the hike
014.JPG
top of meall a churain with sgiath chuil in background
It's not until the top of meall a churain is reached that you finally see sgiath chuil and after a couple of up and downs the summit was had in about 2 hours 15 mins
021.JPG
sgiath chuil with ben vorlich and stuc a chroin
019.JPG
down towards crianlarich
The views here were great and all the tops were clear except ben more which remained in cloud all morning (still to climb that beast :( )A bit windy on the summit so went down to the shelter of some rocks to get a brew on
020.JPG
brew time
022.JPG
nice clear skies
After a cuppa and a sanny it was down the steep grassy slopes to the boggy flat area between the hills ,the skies were clear here but looked a bit cloudier to the west so maybe mwis had it spot on.The climb up to meall glas was tiring on the legs and my plan to tackle the corbett beinn nan imirean was binned :lol:
029.JPG
creag mhor i think
025.JPG
sgiath chuil from meall glas
030.JPG
meall glas summit cairn
The views from the top of meall glas were good with ben challum looking impressive and what i think is creag mhor also looking like a good future walk ,but as some cloud blew over it was time to find some shelter again then follow the path to beinn cheathaich and then pick up the land rover track for the long but pleasant trek back to the car.
032.JPG
beinn cheathaith with the lawers to the right and meall ghaordaidh to the left
Was not sure what to expect from these 2 hills as the reports are a bit mixed but it was no where near as boggy as i had expected and the views were pretty good so all in all another good day :thumbup:
034.JPG
ben challum
035.JPG
tarmachan
Attachments
031.JPG
beinn nan imirean
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Two from Glen Lochay

Postby gagfax » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Nice. Still have these to do, looks straight forward.
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Great report Pigeon. You got a fantastic, clear day. Really useful information these hills. Heading up there on Monday hopefully so your post couldn't have come at a better time! Cheers :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Huck Finn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Cracking day for it :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm

I liked that one Pigeon. I've seen some pretty skanky weather in TRs for these hills so this was a breath of fresh air. Some really nice pics in there too. :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland