walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordie

Meall Ghaordie

Postby Kozmik » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 25/08/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my third attempt this "summer" to get up a Munro having tried Criese and Meall a'Bhuiridh twice and getting as far as the car park once, and Tyndrum, the other, both times turning back because of near zero visibility. I'm glad to say the weather was excellent for once and having abandoned any weekend climbing because of rain and wind, my brother Neil and I jumped at the chance to climb a relatively simple mountain on monday afternoon. The wicking on my top was working overtime in the sunshine as we headed up past the sheilings and ambivalent bullocks. It was pretty soggy underfoot most of the way with some deep looking sinkholes in the peat. I was pleased to have a bit of a scramble towards the top which didn't disappoint us with the amazing views all around.
DSCF1569.JPG
I'd forgotten what good visibility was like this summer.
As we sat down to a bit of lunch in the circular cairn, we indulged in a bit of nephelococcygea. (Look it up). Then as we drained the hip flask of it's golden goodness we were off down pretty much the way we came, but now with our minds set upon a bit of wild swimming in a pool on the river that we'd spotted on the way in. The River Lochay was invigorating to say the least and there were no insect issues at all.
DSCF1573.JPG
We went for a pint by the Falls of Dochart which were in excellent spate, and as I warmed my dowp at the wood fire in the bar, I told a fat holidaymaker I'd just been swimming. He thought I'd just been in the raging torrent outside, and lets just say I didn't tell him otherwise. As we left I think his jaw was still agape. :lol:
Kozmik
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   

Re: Meall Ghaordie

Postby StokeyNeil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 pm

The midges weren't biting but I'm sure I felt a trout take a nibble :shock:
StokeyNeil
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Meall Ghaordie

Postby druidsam » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 pm

so thats what it looks like from up there.it was whiteout conditions when i went up :mrgreen:

..................................Sam
druidsam

Munros:87   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland